mavscougars

What about Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez as a Backup Catcher

On a general note, I love the assumption (certainly not unique to this board) that having an old guy who used to be a really good player around will make young guys better. There's no reason to believe that Pudge is a particularly good teacher of anything. I doubt his catching prowess was a function of being super smart, more than just having a ridiculous amount of talent.

Doumit cannot catch. From everything I have heard, he will not be an option for teams looking to sign a starting or backup C. Could be an emergency guy maybe. He's basically in the same boat as Victor, though arguably worse. Its pretty widely thought that he will not stay healthy if he has to C at all.

Good bat though. Can fill in at 1B,DH and RF, though we might not need the help there as much.

I like Doumit's hitting for a backup C. I guess I don't really care about the backup C's defense (C defense is generally overrated IMHO), so if he's healthy enough to catch 30 - 40 games, sure.

The rumored options for backup C are all glove-first. The Tigers have always valued catcher defense, and I don't think they will look to bring aboard a backup that doesn't carry a glove well.

I think I would rather the club buy a hyperbolic chamber for Victor and have him try that to keep himself healthy enough to be the backup catcher than bring Pudge in as a backup C.

I've made some funny mistakes, so please do not take this personally, but I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this.....

I've made some funny mistakes, so please do not take this personally, but I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this.....

HA, nice catch! :laugh:

On a general note, I love the assumption (certainly not unique to this board) that having an old guy who used to be a really good player around will make young guys better. There's no reason to believe that Pudge is a particularly good teacher of anything. I doubt his catching prowess was a function of being super smart, more than just having a ridiculous amount of talent.

It was known well before Pudge came here that he was a self-centered player who had clashes with his pitchers in both Texas and Florida. He was never going to be a leader of the young staff simply because he was older than they, but to your point, people make statements like that on nothing more than some combination of assumption and wishful thinking.