mavscougars

What about Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez as a Backup Catcher

He'd want a crap load of money too, not that I care, but these are considerations the team would have to take into account.
I bet if he plays next year, it is for $1M or less.

How about Sean Casey as backup 1B? Omar Infante to start at 2B? Craig Monroe and Marcus Thames as fourth and fifth outfielders? Zach Miner at fifth starter? Don't we have room in the bullpen for Wil Ledezma, Jason Grilli and Jamie Walker? Maybe we can even exhume the corpse of Neifi Perez?

I'm telling you, boys, if we could just get the band back together, we can make it back to the 2006 World Series and beat those pesky Cardinals once and for all!

While we are at it, can we bring back Vance Wilson? He didn't get to play in the 2006 World Series and he is not the clubhouse cancer that Pudge is thought to be. He is currently coaching for the Royals High-A team, so maybe he has some insight he can share with us. Plus, my son is named after him, so it would be cool for him to meet his namesake.

While we are at it, can we bring back Vance Wilson? He didn't get to play in the 2006 World Series and he is not the clubhouse cancer that Pudge is thought to be. He is currently coaching for the Royals High-A team, so maybe he has some insight he can share with us. Plus, my son is named after him, so it would be cool for him to meet his namesake.

I'd love to bring back Vance Wilson.

Matt Walbeck as backup catcher/manager.

I remember chasfh once commenting that he was convinced that Pudge decides to swing or not swing before the pitch is even thrown. Ever since he said that I think he was right.

But we need to decide.... are we going to be the 2006 tigers or 2007 Indians?

Doumit cannot catch. From everything I have heard, he will not be an option for teams looking to sign a starting or backup C. Could be an emergency guy maybe. He's basically in the same boat as Victor, though arguably worse. Its pretty widely thought that he will not stay healthy if he has to C at all.

Good bat though. Can fill in at 1B,DH and RF, though we might not need the help there as much.

No. Whenever he was asked to stop trying to pull everything and get some opposite field hits---you got a lecture about his performance earlier in his career.

OK, so, theoretically -- other things being equal -- I'm not opposed to Pudge as strictly backup catcher. After all, we're just asking the guy to catch maybe 40 or so games and step to the plate maybe 150 times in a season, and he might be worth $1 million, maybe $1.5 million in that capacity. He already hits like someone in that capacity, but backup catcher is not a hitter.

If that's all we were going to give him, I wouldn't be opposed. That said, there are probably marginally better catchers available for that role for something close to that money already.

Ramon Hernandez might be a good fit.

Hernandez would be a great fit. The challenge is he probably wants more playing time than the Tigers will want to give the backup C and he could even land a starter's job somewhere. Shoppach would be my 2nd choice.

Neither Pudge nor Posada would give the Tigers what they want - offensive production versus LHP. They'd be better off keeping Santos than paying those guys for their names. Posada's OPS vs. LHP this year was .277, including a .108 SLG. And away from Yankee Stadium, his OPS was .524.

Shoppach is the best fit. Used to being a backup. Friends with Victor and Jhonny (and Grady Sizemore!!!). Mashes LHP. Great defensively in 2011.

And best of all, he is not Ivan Rodriguez.

I think I would rather the club buy a hyperbolic chamber for Victor and have him try that to keep himself healthy enough to be the backup catcher than bring Pudge in as a backup C.

Really do not see that happening.

If Posada would leave NY and play at about 1/10th of his $13 million salary from 2011, I'd take him over Laird or Pudge. Shoppach seems a better fit.

I would consider it. Yes,I Know he's maybe got a year left in him if that, but he could be a good backup and perhaps catch 30-40 games.

Well...first, i don't think he's ready to play a utility role and second...i don't think detroit could afford anyway...not to rain on your parade, but im glad what he did for detroit-but i think his time came and went.

How about Sean Casey as backup 1B? Omar Infante to start at 2B? Craig Monroe and Marcus Thames as fourth and fifth outfielders? Zach Miner at fifth starter? Don't we have room in the bullpen for Wil Ledezma, Jason Grilli and Jamie Walker? Maybe we can even exhume the corpse of Neifi Perez?

I'm telling you, boys, if we could just get the band back together, we can make it back to the 2006 World Series and beat those pesky Cardinals once and for all!

Now that's funny...thanks.

The only thing Avila has to learn from Pudge is how to bail on the team to go to South America in the middle of the season and get a team legend fired.

This sums up my opinion on the subject.