mavscougars

What about Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez as a Backup Catcher

I think Pudge might have another year left in him. Why not bring him back to Detroit to be backup catcher. I would consider it. What about you? Any thoughts?

How about Sean Casey as backup 1B? Omar Infante to start at 2B? Craig Monroe and Marcus Thames as fourth and fifth outfielders? Zach Miner at fifth starter? Don't we have room in the bullpen for Wil Ledezma, Jason Grilli and Jamie Walker? Maybe we can even exhume the corpse of Neifi Perez?

I'm telling you, boys, if we could just get the band back together, we can make it back to the 2006 World Series and beat those pesky Cardinals once and for all!

Ok, no need to pile on, I think it's a fair question.

To me there are probably better options available above Rodriguez right now. That being said if the "better" options don't pan out I wouldn't have a problem with him coming back. But again, I do think there are better options the Tigers should look at first.

Actually, I got done looking at Rodriguez's stats and frankly there should be a whole lot of better options available for the Tigers for 2012 than Rodriguez. I'm sorry to say I just don't think (keeping in mind the limited roster space) that Rodriguez would be a good fit. I wouldn't mind a non-roster invite to spring training, but I would consider leading a completely fictional riot if the Tigers were to pass up other catchers and sign Rodriguez instead as best answer the Tigers could come up with for a back up catcher...

Edited by STLTiger69

I would consider it. Yes,I Know he's maybe got a year left in him if that, but he could be a good backup and perhaps catch 30-40 games.

Wasn't he becoming a pain in the *** in the clubhouse before he was traded? I doubt DD would even consider him.

It seems to me like he was a pain in the *** in the clubhouse more than once during his time with the Tigers. He reportedly gave Trammell a really hard time too.

This is the jerk who, when told he was going to split time at catcher with Inge to finish the 08 season, told Dombrowski it would be a good idea to trade him to the Yankees who were in playoff contention and needed a catcher. He is just chasing 3,000 hits now (156 to go) and would ***** about playing time the third week of April.

No, a thousand times, no.

Edit: really? b itch is not allowed?

I don't like the idea.

I want to add that Pudge was a great Tiger and the sole reason why we're competitive year in and year out.

Ivan Rodriguez might be the worst catcher in baseball.

Read these words, they are written with the appropriate weight: Gerald Laird is a far, far better catcher at this point than Pudge.

Pudge is too full of himself to play second fiddle to a genuinely good player like Avila. He'd want a crap load of money too, not that I care, but these are considerations the team would have to take into account. He was good when he was a wide-framed roid-boy. Then he came to spring training that spring with the Tigers, 30 lbs. lighter, and said he'd just got tired of eating. Right. I know they all did it--so to speak--but that explanation was so lame there should be a dictionary entry next to the word "lame" with his picture on it.

Dear god no. Like others have said he has caused problems here in the past and there is no need to bring in a guy who may be (not saying he 100% is) a cancer to this club house. When we signed him we needed him so we could start to become a legit team and he did help us get there. But no need to bring him back again just because of what he brought to us years ago.

I'd be willing to bet Mickey Tettleton could get on base more often. And he's a switch hitter.

I'd take a chance with him, especially if he knew he was only going to catch once every 7-10 days. I think having Avila soak up as much knowledge from Pudge for a year would be a positive.

David, that part is true, but we probably have enough prima donnas on the roster already.
I am thinking that at this stage in his career, he would be past the prima donna phase.