mavscougars

Polanco a Tiger again?? I'd love to see it

Polanco was not resigned in Detroit then for the same reasons that I would not want him back now.

Alright whose mother did Polanco bang to get as much heat as he does and did? Seriously. I loved him as a Tiger, was bummed out when they let him walk and the dude just won a gold glove at thiiird. I am not saying I want him back now because as others have mentioned he is on the wrong end of his career, but dang.... he is a better option than we have now and the FA market is thin anyway.

So besides this past year, where Dejesus had a BABIP of 50 points below his career norm, they weren't even close. And Dejesus, even with his down BABIP had a similar OPS to polanco overall, even playing half his games in oakland.

A fair observation,

You will also notice too that DeJesus' road OPS is less by 50-60 points every year except that "unlucky year" too.

So, Polanco has a "unlucky" year too but DeJesus get's a free pass and Polanco still sucks? I mean Scott Sizemore had a better season than Ichiro Suzuki for 2011,.....what does that mean!? How did Sizemore do for 2010 against Polanco and Suzuki? And going forward I guess you's say Sizemore will do better than Polanco and Suzuki too?!?

I'm just curious that's all...

Polanco didn't have an unlucky year. He's had plenty of BABIP's in the .290-300 range over the course of his career. Even if Polanco's BABIP was at his .311 career average, his power numbers were down significantly this year, and he'd still have been a below average hitter. He has a career .105 ISO, and he only posted a .062 ISO this year. Dejesus' power numbers were the same as his career norms, he had a .136 ISO this year, and his career number is .137. Dejesus' peripherals, except for a slight increase in strikeouts were exactly the same as his career average, the only difference was BABIP. Polanco's power went down significantly, especially away from home.

So, Polanco has a "unlucky" year too but DeJesus get's a free pass and Polanco still sucks? I mean Scott Sizemore had a better season than Ichiro Suzuki for 2011,.....what does that mean!? How did Sizemore do for 2010 against Polanco and Suzuki? And going forward I guess you's say Sizemore will do better than Polanco and Suzuki too?!?

Why are you attributing Polanco's decline to luck? He's been in decline since '09. With around league average BABIP, AFAIK.

You have to factor age, ballpark, and the difference in BABIP. If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on DeJesus being able to rebound more than Polanco.

Ichiro and Polanco will be in their mid to late 30s next year, so it wouldn't be too shocking if Sizemore outperforms them. Huge drop offs at that age are often red flags.

Alright whose mother did Polanco bang to get as much heat as he does and did?

He's just not a good player anymore. I don't see criticism against bringing him back (now that he's three years older and a below average player) as undue "heat." I don't see it as criticism against Polanco himself, either. I oppose the notion he's still a good player and would be more valuable to the Tigers than what's currently on the roster. Ryan Raburn had a below average season and his wRC+ was still better than Polanco's.

Also, I seem to remember everyone pretty much universally loving Polanco and being upset when they let him go.

Actually I also oppose the notion Polanco would be more valuable to the Tigers than the following:

Jamey Carroll

Aaron Hill

Kelly Johnson

my mom

Paws

Scott Sizemore

Actually I also oppose the notion Polanco would be more valuable to the Tigers than the following:

Jamey Carroll

Aaron Hill

Kelly Johnson

my mom

Paws

Scott Sizemore

How many home runs did your mom hit away from Citizens Bank Park for 2011? Or was she just having an "unlucky" year....

And did she commit less than 13 errors in 91 games like Sizemore or 10 errors in 56 games at 2B like Raburn? I know errors may not mean anything to anyone anymore but Polanco has only 15 errors total for 2011, 2010 and the 2009 seasons, Combined!

In all seriousness though, I highly doubt anyone argues for bringing him aboard if he hadn't played for the Tigers between 2005 and 2009.

Based soley on age, but yeah I agree. Take 36 and make it 30 and everything else being equal I sign him in a heart beat. Not everyone on the team needs an .800+ OPS.

How many home runs did your mom hit away from Citizens Bank Park for 2011? Or was she just having an "unlucky" year....

And did she commit less than 13 errors in 91 games like Sizemore or 10 errors in 56 games at 2B like Raburn? I know errors may not mean anything to anyone anymore but Polanco has only 15 errors total for 2011, 2010 and the 2009 seasons, Combined!

Polanco is better defensively than Sizemore or Raburn. I don't think anybody argues that. But when you factor in cost and offense and the fact Polanco is getting into his late 30's, well, I really don't think he is a good bet. Hell - just sign Santiago and be done with it if what you want is a defensive 2b with a limited bat. You don't have to trade anything and he'd cost much less.

Polanco is better defensively than Sizemore or Raburn. I don't think anybody argues that. But when you factor in cost and offense and the fact Polanco is getting into his late 30's, well, I really don't think he is a good bet. Hell - just sign Santiago and be done with it if what you want is a defensive 2b with a limited bat. You don't have to trade anything and he'd cost much less.

Truthfully Mr. Bigglesworth, If the Tigers don't come up with a 2B free agent fix, I'd be ok with some sort of a Raburn/Santiago platoon if possible. If Santiago leaves, I'm open to other ideas too.

(To me 2B for the Tigers right now is just a black hole that swallows anybody and anything that touches it since Polanco left, I'd love to have a decent name to pencil in the line up 120-ish games plus and not worry about it....)

Alright whose mother did Polanco bang to get as much heat as he does and did? Seriously. I loved him as a Tiger, was bummed out when they let him walk and the dude just won a gold glove at thiiird. I am not saying I want him back now because as others have mentioned he is on the wrong end of his career, but dang.... he is a better option than we have now and the FA market is thin anyway.

Nobody hates him. He just isn't as good as Rod and Mario used to tell you he was. OK, he was good for a while, if not very good. But those days are long gone. So what has he done to deserve the worshiping he gets from some people?

Not everyone on the team needs an .800+ OPS.
Always a bad cop-out for crappy players. I think we should be focusing on good ones if the opportunity is there. Polanco is not the answer.

Truthfully Mr. Bigglesworth, If the Tigers don't come up with a 2B free agent fix, I'd be ok with some sort of a Raburn/Santiago platoon if possible. If Santiago leaves, I'm open to other ideas too.

(To me 2B for the Tigers right now is just a black hole that swallows anybody and anything that touches it since Polanco left, I'd love to have a decent name to pencil in the line up 120-ish games plus and not worry about it....)

You are aware the the Tigers 2B as a group outperformed Polanco offensively in both 2010 and 2011?

Yoda! Why you ask? I'll tell you why.. Because we shouldn't have sent him off in the first place. Yes, he's getting up in there age, but he can still hit and play the field and he's the perfect #2 place hitter for a team that needs someone to get on base before the big guns come up

.331/.339/.335 Placido's On base percentages the last 3 years, how do those help?

.396/.386/.339 Slugging percentages over the same span

pretty much as empty a stat line as you can get without being all ingey

The dude is on a downward spiral at the end of his career.

Year-Age: OPS

2007-31: .846

2008-32: .768

2009-33: .727

2010-34: .726

2011-35: .674

Thanks for the memories, but a combination of Raburn, Worth, Kelly, Rhymes, and the Singing hot dog vendor could give us his production

You are aware the the Tigers 2B as a group outperformed Polanco offensively in both 2010 and 2011?
Let's not bring facts into this...

So your confident that will happen next year too?

At what point does the phrase "that ship has sailed" come into play here?

STLTigers69 makes a pretty good comparo between a luck-adjuted Polanco and luck-adjusted DeJesus in 2011. The results would have been pretty similar in terms of OPS and wOBA, although DeJesus would have had more power (.415 SLG) and Polanco would have had better-than-average on-base (.350 OBP).

I've heard it suggested that Polanco's road numbers in 2011 were de-facto indicative of his "new norm" of hitting -- point of fact, Polanco's BABIP on the road was a horrible .259 in 2011 compared to his career BABIP of .311 (not to mention his road BABIP of .300). His BABIP at home and on the road is typically .285 - .340 (his home BABIP was a pretty normal-range .325 in 2011). We're not talking about someone who has lost the ability to hit.

Looking at defense, Polanco was an excellent 10 - 15 UZR/150 at 3B in 2010 and 2011, and would likely have been a clear defensive and luck-adjusted offensive upgrade overall vs. the group the Tigers had in 2011. DeJesus would have been a clear defensive upgrade over the group in either corner OF spot in 2011, and at least nominal offensively with the aforementioned luck-adjustment.

Obviously, the big difference with the two is that DeJesus is giong to be 31 during 2012 and Polanco will be 37. I would prefer DeJesus for that reason, but it's hardly a slam-dunk given that DeJesus' and his middle-IF bat would be in place of normally better corner OF bat options, whereas Polanco's offense would likely be in place of normally similar hitting options.

I realize getting Polanco would require a trade, and putting aside any potential difference in the price of acquisition/contract that might exist, I'd prefer Polanco to Carroll in 2012. They're about the same age, and Polanco seems to be a clear defensive upgrade over Carroll (not to mention our current options at 2B or 3B), and probably about the same offensively overall as Carroll (more singles for Polanco, more walks for Carroll). It's not that big a diff to fuss about, but Polanco is hardly a crap player at this point.

Edited by sabretooth