mavscougars

Polanco a Tiger again?? I'd love to see it

I'd love to see Polanco back with the Tigers for a year or two, but who's to say. I know we need a 2B and some speed along with a lead-off hitter, but it might solve the 2b answer. Any thoughts

My thoughts are I do not think Polanco is an especially effective baseball player anymore, I don't think he has much speed, nor do I think him much of an upgrade at 2B anymore.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

Yeah, his speed has declined quickly. He could be another Carlos with the injuries, but he was still be an upgrade at 2nd base over.....well, nothing........

If he wanted to come in for 3 million for one or two years.....sure. But since he is already locked in at over 6 million, I say no way.

Edited by Motor City Sonics

Wouldn't be the worst thing but I wouldn't send much. THey can have Inge, haha. Maybe Valverde for Polanco and an arm. He can still hit for a decent average out of that 2 hole and his defense is still stellar, and thats at 3B. He's better at 2B IMO.

No thanks. Seems like too much risk vs reward.

I am kind of surprised how much some on the board seem to be infatuated with signing some of the older FAs with considerable injury risks or general rate of return issues given thier age considering the end of contracts that we just experienced with Ordonez and Guillen. The talk of Beltran, Ramirez, and now Polanco is rather frightening. I understand they could be upgrades based on what they have done in thier primes vs the options employed currently by the Tigers. But tossing out multiyear deals to guys on the downsides, guys that have had degrees of injury proneness and/or severity of an individual injury seems a bit misguided.

Yoda! Why you ask? I'll tell you why.. Because we shouldn't have sent him off in the first place. Yes, he's getting up in there age, but he can still hit and play the field and he's the perfect #2 place hitter for a team that needs someone to get on base before the big guns come up

Detroit's black hole of suck at 2B has outproduced Polanco offensively each of the last two years.

Personal opinion - I don't know anything has been overstated as much in Tigerland recently as Polanco's wonderful ability to bat second. Regardless how well he supposedly moves runners along the bases (something I have doubts about), that does not outweigh the fact he really hasn't been an effective offensive player since 2008, and he had a league average OPS+ then.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

Detroit's black hole of suck at 2B has outproduced Polanco offensively each of the last two years.

Personal opinion - I don't know anything has been overstated as much in Tigerland recently as Polanco's wonderful ability to bat second. Regardless how well he supposedly moves runners along the bases (something I have doubts about), that does not outweigh the fact he really hasn't been an effective offensive player since 2008, and he had a league average OPS+ then.

Similar to the notion that Tadahito Iguchi was an awesome 2 hitter. When in reality, he was pretty average, or slightly below.

Let me just toss this thought on the fire;

I know everyone considers Polanco washed up (I'll concede he's on the wrong end of a baseball career) but can anyone tell me why DeJesus is amazing and Polanco is garbage by just looking at their numbers? Also some of the talk about getting Aaron Hill to play 2B makes me scratch my head too, compare Hill's 2011, and 2010 season with Polanco's 2011 and 2010 and tell me who's washed up?

Again, I'm not going to argue that Polonco is the Tiger's savior (he's not) or that DeJesus is not amazing (he is good) or that Hill can't fix the Tigers problem at 2B either. I just think it's curious that some can just dismiss Polanco as "washed up" out of hand but yet Polanco's numbers are comparable to DeJesus and frankly better than Hill's recent numbers.

Just something to think about.... that's all....

Let me just toss this thought on the fire;

I know everyone considers Polanco washed up (I'll concede he's on the wrong end of a baseball career) but can anyone tell me why DeJesus is amazing and Polanco is garbage by just looking at their numbers? Also some of the talk about getting Aaron Hill to play 2B makes me scratch my head too, compare Hill's 2011, and 2010 season with Polanco's 2011 and 2010 and tell me who's washed up?

Again, I'm not going to argue that Polonco is the Tiger's savior (he's not) or that DeJesus is not amazing (he is good) or that Hill can't fix the Tigers problem at 2B either. I just think it's curious that some can just dismiss Polanco as "washed up" out of hand but yet Polanco's numbers are comparable to DeJesus and frankly better than Hill's recent numbers.

Just something to think about.... that's all....

Dejesus was extremely unlucky last season, which has been noted many times. If his BABIP returns to career norms, he's a much better player than Polanco. Also, he was terrible outside of Citizens, which was mentioned above.

Scott Sizemore ended up outproducing Polanco last year. Guess the Tigers were right about that at the end of the day.

Edited by alwaysthrowheat

Yoda! Why you ask? I'll tell you why.. Because we shouldn't have sent him off in the first place. Yes, he's getting up in there age, but he can still hit and play the field and he's the perfect #2 place hitter for a team that needs someone to get on base before the big guns come up

I love when people say this, because it seems to be so widely believed...when it's absolutely false. He can't hit. He's old. You'll get similar production out of Will ****ing Rhymes.

Polanco sucks, and if the Tigers sign him I will be NONONONONO Cat.

Jamey Carroll has been a better hitter than Polanco the past two seasons and made less in two years than Polanco makes in a single season.

Dejesus was extremely unlucky last season, which has been noted many times. If his BABIP returns to career norms, he's a much better player than Polanco. Also, he was terrible outside of Citizens, which was mentioned above.

Let me start with my disclaimer;

DeJesus is better than Polanco in regards to OPS

Now let me just toss something else out for thought;

Polanco OPS

Home .780

Away .586

Home .721

Away .731

Home .756

away.700

David DeJesus OPS

Home .695

Away .701

Home .857

Away .802

Home .817

Away .743

Just something to think about...

Edited by STLTiger69

Jamey Carroll has been a better hitter than Polanco the past two seasons and made less in two years than Polanco makes in a single season.

I do think the Tigers are thinking of Carroll as a short term, cost effective solution- the problem is I'm sure there are other teams thinking the same thing.....

Let me start with my disclaimer;

DeJesus is better than Polanco in regards to OPS

Now let me just toss something else out for thought;

Polanco OPS

Home .780

Away .586

Home .721

Away .731

Home .756

away.700

David DeJesus OPS

Home .695

Away .701

Home .857

Away .802

Home .817

Away .743

Just something to think about...

So besides this past year, where Dejesus had a BABIP of 50 points below his career norm, they weren't even close. And Dejesus, even with his down BABIP had a similar OPS to polanco overall, even playing half his games in oakland.

Well that's simply not true. I won't kill your argument with facts though.

Yoda! Why you ask? I'll tell you why.. Because we shouldn't have sent him off in the first place.

That's not a good reason to sign a subpar player.

Scott Sizemore ended up outproducing Polanco last year. Guess the Tigers were right about that at the end of the day.

So, Polanco has a "unlucky" year too but DeJesus get's a free pass and Polanco still sucks? I mean Scott Sizemore had a better season than Ichiro Suzuki for 2011,.....what does that mean!? How did Sizemore do for 2010 against Polanco and Suzuki? And going forward I guess you's say Sizemore will do better than Polanco and Suzuki too?!?

I'm just curious that's all...

(Sizemore could, I don't know, but Polanco and Suzuki have been much better hitters through their career.... that's all)

Edited by STLTiger69