Sign in to follow this  
SpartanValor

Game 1: Carrier Classic: MSU v UNC

From aboard the USS Carl Vinson, docked in San Diego Bay

USS_Carl_Vinson_%28CVN-70%29_RB2.jpg

The 2011 Carrier Classic

Carrier%20Classic.jpg

Honoring the men and women of the Armed Services

University_of_North_Carolina_Tarheels_Interlocking_NC_logo.svg@ MichiganStateLogo1-240x300.jpg

727271.jpg

Date: Veterans Day: Friday, November 11th, 2011

Time: 07:00pm EST

Honorary Attendees: 44th President of the United States of America, Barack Obama

and

Members of the United States Armed Services

Honorary Captains: Earvin "Magic" Johnson of Michigan State University

and

James Worthy of the University of North Carolina (Michael Jordan declining invitation)

Television Broadcast Provided by:

ESPN

Radio Broadcast Provided by:

www.spartansportsnetwork.com

Carrier_Classic_logo-lpr1-150x150.jpg

Edited by SpartanValor

I am incredibly pumped to watch this game. A decade in the making, by our brilliant AD Mark Hollis (this game exemplifies my appropriate use of the term "brilliant"), I can't believe this game is 5 days away. I remember hearing about this in about 2003, and thinking it was almost an embarrassing gimmick. But when you get the POTUS and members of all branches of the Armed Forces together (who will occupy the vast, vast majority of the ~7000 seats), much less UNC and MSU basketball, this could not possibly be anything short of an incredible representation of my alma mater.

My mind has obviously been on football the past few months, but this game is 5 days away. And I can hardly contain my excitement. What a prelude to an enormous football weekend.

And for the first time ever for a basketball game:

Daily Weather Forecast for San Diego, CA - weather.com

And yes, I think Michael Jordan is an incredible douchebag, who had "prior commitments" and could not attend.

I love how Izzo called him out about it, too.

We might get absolutely rolled, but this is going to be awesome...I'm also really, really looking forward to it. Hollis is the man.

This is going to be AWESOME!

CY7Wi576xJE

Just one more proud day to be a Spartan!

Btw, the room with everyone sitting in the old metal chairs, with the white board in front, at the end of the video?

I've sat in there before! :happy:

And yes, I think Michael Jordan is an incredible douchebag, who had "prior commitments" and could not attend.

I love how Izzo called him out about it, too.

Pretty ridiculous reason to call the greatest player of all time a douchebag.

Pretty ridiculous reason to call the greatest player of all time a douchebag.
Well he is, whether this is a valid reason or not.

Well he is, whether this is a valid reason or not.

Fair enough.

So you moved from San Diego didnt you? Just in time to miss the carrier classic!

One of many reasons to hate jordan.

"not having time" to honor the men and women of the armed forces: pretty damn high up on the list. But apparently, you dont agree.

Fair enough.

So you moved from San Diego didnt you? Just in time to miss the carrier classic!

Yep. I still get the alumni group e-mails. They had two pairs of tickets that they used to raise money for charity. A friend of mine, with whom I used to work with bid on them, and won a pair. I don't know how much he paid for them, but it was a LOT. He's really excited, but there's no chance I would have been able to go...

The MSU Alumni group did put together a package for people to be out in the harbor at the same time, on a cruise ship with big TVs. That would have been pretty fun.

Man would it ever be sweet to be there but I guess the TV's at the bar will have to do. And its so great to have the Spartans get the honor of getting to play in a game like this.

SlfHNUoVjn0

Y30rI4jzRks

A cool time-lapse of the construction:

UuOheTvG6cI

Edited by JayVee

I was on this ship, just 3 months ago, and found it hard to get around at 5'11". Can you imagine what it's like for these guys?

Holy crap is this becomming cooler and cooler the closer we get. This is getting awesome publicity - Hollis is a marketing genius. I love that man.

MSU also confirmed today they are playing in the 2013 Carrier Classic as well.

Last note - I think it's awesome that their are green seats...haha. I'd find it even funnier if next year, when MSU isn't playing, Hollis still pushes for green seats.

It's gonna be an offensive slog for large stretches this year...But make no mistake:

This roster will compete for 40; these guys will play with and FOR each other; improvements between now and January will be considerable and noticeable. This will be a good team.

I like this team, and i think dawson is our best player as of today. Hope hes fine.

Final Four 2014. Add another player of dawson's caliber, plus the other three recruits, to this team next year, and watch out.

I hope payne and nix can really put it together, thats the big question for me.