smr-nj

Why does one sibling get all the family talent?

Anybody else have this family dynamic?

My paternal grandmother was very artistic - she was a seamstress / designer, used to do crafty things long before it was "popular".

My maternal grandmother was a knitting master. She used to make awesome sweathers, etc.

My mother was very adept at needlepoint, crewel, etc.

Both of my grandmothers, and my mother tried teaching me things like sewing, knitting, crocheting, needlepoint, etc.

I could never get the hang of it, and even if I did, I had absolutely no patience for it.

My younger sister, on the other hand, seems to have inherited all the artistic talent from both sides of the family, She's an excellent guitar player, can do all the handi-work stuff, too. (She's done it, but now has moved on.) She tried teaching me guitar. I had no talent for it.

Now, she creates jewelry, using her design techniques from years ago when she took an origami class.

Awesome stuff - take a look:

EARIGAMI A New Unfolding of an Ancient Art Form by earigami01

So here's my question: Why does one kid seem to get all the talent...... wouldn't you think that genetically, all the children should have SOME of the previous generation's ability? (I am going to have to admit big time jealousy here.......)

Who here has a sibling that got all the family jewels, so to speak?

OR

Are YOU that sibling?

I doubt that, Lou!

I'm sitting here trying to come up with what "talent" I have that trumps my sister's... I used to think I was the smartest of the three, but that may just have been "school smart". I don't think I'm actually more intelligent than either. I may just know more useless stuff than either of them.

But talent wise, and talking of my younger sister..I really don't know what I can do better.

Maybe cook. maybe.

(I DO wish I was more artistic.)

Sue,

Is your sister a moderator and VIP on one of the nation's leading sports messageboards?

:wink:

You have your own talents for sure. You just need to figure out what they are.

Besides most guys are not really that impressed with earagami.

But if you can talk sports we are impressed.

But if you can talk sports we are impressed.

Unless it's with a NY accent... and about the Yankees. :P

You also have her talent for singing. I was always jealous of that. I have a horirble singing voice.

I can sew better than my sisters, none of us knit or crochet. I can and do talk baseball,

You also have her talent for singing. I was always jealous of that. I have a horirble singing voice.

I can sew better than my sisters, none of us knit or crochet. I can and do talk baseball,

"Who's on first?" is not talking baseball :silly:

I can't sew like my sisters either. I can throw a football farther than they can so it's even.

My talent is being the second best among a small group of people. It's not the kind of thing you can make much money off of. :wink:

Anyway, I believe everyone has a top tier talent in something. Some people are lucky enough to be talented in things people will appreciate or pay money to see. I think most people's top tier talent is in something more mundane, like in organizing parties, or developing spreadsheets, or baking. Things you might or might not be able to do for a living, but is not exactly a spectator activity.

Me, I might well be one of the best drivers in the world. I'm sure I could win any driving competition I enter. I mean everyday traffic driving, not race car stuff. I'm efficient, fast and safe. I'm hyper-aware of everything for hundreds of yards around me, including drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians, and I know just how fast everyone is going in relation to one another. I know when to safely exceed the speed limit and when not to, and I have not gotten a traffic ticket in over 20 years (once I got rid of my red Eagle Talon). I can safely weave through cars on a crowded freeway. I anticipate the other guy so well that I almost never jam on the brakes when he "surprises" me. I can parallel park into spaces with less than five feet to spare, both left side and right side, without bumping into cars. Some people I've driven have even proactively expressed admiration for my driving skills, so that's how I know I'm really good. But, alas, it's not a talent anyone cares about paying to watch.

Edited by chasfh

I can't sew like my sisters either. I can throw a football farther than they can so it's even.

Damn.

I forgot about my brother.....

While I can cook better than either of my sisters, my brother can cook better than me.

Curses!

Foiled again.

Really.... how did I get to be in my 50's and not have anything I'm better at doing than any of my siblings?

I can top that... my sister is smarter, prettier, and nicer than I am. :)

Tell her, Duran says hi.

:classic:

My talent is being the second best among a small group of people. It's not the kind of thing you can make much money off of. :wink:

Anyway, I believe everyone has a top tier talent in something. Some people are lucky enough to be talented in things people will appreciate or pay money to see. I think most people's top tier talent is in something more mundane, like in organizing parties, or developing spreadsheets, or baking. Things you might or might not be able to do for a living, but is not exactly a spectator activity.

Me, I might well be one of the best drivers in the world. I'm sure I could win any driving competition I enter. I mean everyday traffic driving, not race car stuff. I'm efficient, fast and safe. I'm hyper-aware of everything for hundreds of yards around me, including drivers, bicyclists and pedestrians, and I know just how fast everyone is going in relation to one another. I know when to safely exceed the speed limit and when not to, and I have not gotten a traffic ticket in over 20 years (once I got rid of my red Eagle Talon). I can safely weave through cars on a crowded freeway. I anticipate the other guy so well that I almost never jam on the brakes when he "surprises" me. I can parallel park into spaces with less than five feet to spare, both left side and right side, without bumping into cars. Some people I've driven have even proactively expressed admiration for my driving skills, so that's how I know I'm really good. But, alas, it's not a talent anyone cares about paying to watch.

Mine is less marketable than yours. I'm convinced I can hold my bladder longer than anyone else on earth.

Mine is less marketable than yours. I'm convinced I can hold my bladder longer than anyone else on earth.

See, this is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. Everyone has a top tier talent in something that is of no marketable interest or use. Things that are quite useful in their own contexts. Your talent comes in really handy for ballgames and movies, I'd bet. Also for sleeping all the way through the night. Any number of people would love to have that one.

Come on, everyone else. Whaddya got? What are you among the best in the world at?

Edited by chasfh

My father worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium, a master. In the heat of battle my father wove a tapestry of obscenities that as far as we know is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan.

I got that.

On a serious note, I am the only sibling in my family with any discernible musical talent. As long as I don't sing, everything is golden.

My father worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium, a master. In the heat of battle my father wove a tapestry of obscenities that as far as we know is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan.

I got that.

On a serious note, I am the only sibling in my family with any discernible musical talent. As long as I don't sing, everything is golden.

Related to this, when I hear a piece of music, I can identify every instrument within and exactly what it's playing, even for complex orchestral arrangements. I know when songs are the original recording or whether they are remakes, even when the remake is trying to replicate the original exactly. There's always one thing that's different enough for me to tell. I can also tell when a song is playing in a different key (or more exactly, pitch) than it normally plays in -- this, I can do even for songs I haven't heard in over 30 years. In short, I have nearly perfect memory for music. I even remember where the pops, cracks and skips from the original record we had were in the song!

I don't know how rare all this is, but I do know from experience that not everyone has this "talent".

I don't know how rare all this is, but I do know from experience that not everyone has this "talent".

I remember at the exact moment when certain songs would begin to fade in order to switch tracks on an eight track tape. As I listen to the songs now in another format, I find myself anticipating the fade.

Can you identify the key that songs are in or just that they are different from the original?