Sven Draconian

Favorite/Least Favorite moments from when the Tigers were pathetic

-Going to watch Roger Clemens win his 300th game, staying for 17 innings. I swear to god Brandon Inge batted 10 times that game. Now up, Brandon Inge....inge...inge...inge...inge...inge

-"Ripping off" my brother by trading for his Justin Thompson rookie card.

-I saw Tony Clark hit one of the hardest balls I've seen in person at Tiger Stadium. He hit a double that drilled the middle of the wall in Right center, and bounced back about 15 feet.

-Going to a double header (I'm fairly sure this was the 119 loss season), sticking around for both games, and seeing less than 500 stands in the stadium. I ended up sitting in the row right behind the visitor dugout.

- Being convinced, at a young age, Shane Halter was the worst baseball player on the planet.

- The Higinson/Fick White Sox Brawl.

- Thinking Robert Fick had potential....

- Thinking Hideo Nomo was a good pickup

Hanging out with friends on a friday afternoon and just deciding to go to a Tigers game. You could buy $8 bleacher seats the day of that included a pop and a hot dog/piece of pizza. Plus there were fireworks after.

Cheaper than a movie.

Just buying a ticket and sitting anywhere you wanted. I remember at one point around 2002 they got very stingy at Comerica with regard to letting you in the lower deck infield seating area without a ticket. You couldn't even walk down the stairs or be on that level without a valid ticket. There were like 2000 people in the whole stadium.

I was at the Clemens 300 game. It was very hot that day and with it being so packed that made it worse. We were not used to that.

Prior to the 2005 ASG, COmerica Park didn't have very many big moments.

Just buying a ticket and sitting anywhere you wanted. I remember at one point around 2002 they got very stingy at Comerica with regard to letting you in the lower deck infield seating area without a ticket. You couldn't even walk down the stairs or be on that level without a valid ticket. There were like 2000 people in the whole stadium.

I was at the Clemens 300 game. It was very hot that day and with it being so packed that made it worse. We were not used to that.

Prior to the 2005 ASG, COmerica Park didn't have very many big moments.

To piggy-back on that, when season ticekt holders could exchange unused tickets at the box office on gameday for any game of the season.

yep... and they would give you coupons for Mon-Thur games. I forgot how many, maybe 5 or 10? 2006 was the last year for that. I exchanged unused tickets and those and got tickets for every game the final week.

It was neat to watch Ford Field being built.

Probably my favorite pre 2006 moment at Comerica Park was the 2003 Alex Sanchez game to ensure no 120 loss season. IT came up in a column on Hardball Times recently. It was Jesse Orosco's final appearance.

Favorite Moment - Getting so mad at Alex Sanchez' inability to advance from 2nd to 3rd on a double (yes, because he wasn't paying attention - looking down when the ball got hit and ran halfway to 3rd started back for some reason and then got thrown out at 3rd while Juan Samuel gave him an earful). I had tickets right next to the dugout and I picked up where Juan left off and let him have it....all the way into the dugout - Bobby Higginson told me to shut up and I said "Bobby, make yourself at home, put a stripper pole in the dugout". I was promptly removed from the park - and damned proud of it.

Least favorite - I worked at the Fisher Building - did the 7pm - Midnight shift on 96.3. I had a new boss. Tigers played a rare back-to-back double header against Baltimore - first game at 1pm. Second game, Mike Maroth was pitching a no-hitter in the 7th inning and I called my boss and told him and asked if there was a way I could be late. Being a baseball fan himself, he said call the guy that was on before me and if he was cool with it, then I could...."but he won't get a no hitter, he'll give up a hit." Before he was done saying the word hit....wouldn't you know....they got a hit and I left immediately. By the time I got to the Fisher Building the Tigers were losing.

Edited by Motor City Sonics

A few of my favorite pre-Tiger-renaissance moments:

- my first game at Tiger Stadium in 1994.

- the strike :(

- Bobby Higginson hitting a game tying homerun off Mariano Rivera in 1999. (Even though the Tigers lost.)

- Brad Ausmus going to the All-Star Game.

- thinking the Tigers were in the Wild Card hunt until August of 2000. Damn you, Scott Schoenweis.

- Shane Halter playing every position in a 12-11 win over the Twins on the final day of the season.

- the Tigers turning a triple play against the Mariners.

- Brandon Inge hitting a walkoff homer off Troy Percival in 2003. It was the first time the Tigers had ever beaten Percival and ended a 11 game losing streak.

- the final week or so of the 2003 season, especially the 9-8 comeback win over Minnesota.

- the draft, and being angry they didn't take Jered Weaver instead. Who the heck is this Verlander bum?

- that series of walkoff homerun wins in a row in '04. Peña, Munson and Young all hit walkoff homers in the midst of a six game winning streak.

- Maroth's complete game one hitter against the Yankees.

- Verlander's debut (even though I missed it because I tuned in too late).

- going downtown for All-Star shenanigans and passing up an opportunity to meet Bud Selig.

- the brawl where Farnsworth bodyslamed Jeremy Affeldt. That was sweet.

My favorite and least favorite moments were when they closed Tiger Stadium (which might not be in the spirit of this thread). I loved that they brought back so many old players and yet they completely ruined it with the players they chose to usher in the new era. I don't remember who exactly was chosen and it's not like they had a lot of great choices but I remember being really angry not only that they left out Tony Clark (who at least had an appreciation and respect for the history of the game) but that there seemed to be so little to look forward to.

For old times sake, here is an excerpt from a Wojnowski column on that day:

And on his [Kaline] arrival in Detroit: “Here I was, 145 pounds with pimples on my face, and the security guard wouldn’t let me in. I got in and I went through the concession area and I’m thinking this was just a big ol’ warehouse. And then I went down a concourse and saw the sun shining on the green field and I said, ‘My God, this is the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen.’ “

Unfortunately I did not follow baseball until 2007. Not closely anyway. I watched the 2004 World Series because of the Cardinals and saw a Tigers game in 2006 (part of ALCS Game 4 I believe, not sure, maybe 3) and was like "Wow, these guys are gonna win it all." So I rooted for the Tigers in the World Series despite years of liking the Cardinals. Was upset when they lost and since all the people at school gave me crap, I just kept liking the Tigers.

I wish I were a fan back then because it would make these times so much sweeter. Oh well, I stuck through 2008.

It was the last game of the 1998 season. I was a middle school kid listening in my bedroom on a Sunday afternoon. Roy Halladay was making his second big league start against the Tigers and took a no hitter to the brink. With two outs in the ninth, Bobby Higginson hit a home run to break it up. Still, the Tigers lost 2-1, I think. But it has always stuck in my mind for some reason.

The Tigers winning five of their last six games to avoid the dreaded first two numbers "12" in the loss column in 2003.

Some people in ASBDT actually said they thought it would be cool to lose 121 games, because at least it would distinguish that team historically. I hope those people are dead now.

Edited by chasfh

It was the last game of the 1998 season. I was a middle school kid listening in my bedroom on a Sunday afternoon. Roy Halladay was making his second big league start against the Tigers and took a no hitter to the brink. With two outs in the ninth, Bobby Higginson hit a home run to break it up. Still, the Tigers lost 2-1, I think. But it has always stuck in my mind for some reason.

I remember that game. My friend and I were shopping for candy for our wives. We were listening on the radio.

I remember Justin Thompson going toe to toe with Pedro when he was with the expos. From memory, we lost 1-0. I believe that was Saturday afternoon game.

Farnsworth's body slam of Affeldt.

Determining whether Alex Sanchez had an IQ over 40.

Learning how to say Hiram Bocachica.

Arguing the merits of Wayne Krenchicki as our future third baseman.

Inge trying to pop his shoulder back into joint in the dugout.

Wishing I was a fly on the wall the day Randy Smith fired Buddy Bell.

Fick's grand slam in the last game at Tiger Stadium.

And ... still trying to figure out why Nook Logan didn't give up switch-hitting.

Loved the early 2000's when you could sit in the grass in front of the clubhouse and talk with the players with almost no collectors bothering them. There might be 30 fans sitting out there on a crowded day. All the players parked out front and none avoided the fans.......except at times for Tony Clark who had one of the "new" miniature cell phones he wandered around the parking lot with.

Edit: for some reason I typed the 60's instead of the early 2000's

Edited by hueytaxi

I remember the 3-game walkoff stretch. I believe that is the same stretch that Munson hit one into the camera well dead center.

Higginson had a number of big ABs, I'm pretty sure he broke up a Clemens no-hitter as well.

I remember when Gibby was the tigers color commentator, and being really excited after '06 because I thought we were going to get an upgrade from Rod Allen.

- that series of walkoff homerun wins in a row in '04. Peña, Munson and Young all hit walkoff homers in the midst of a six game winning streak.

- Maroth's complete game one hitter against the Yankees.

I missed the Maroth one-hitter, but was in Detroit for the next game. It was my 2nd time at Comerica, and the first time that I experience an electric atmosphere there.

I also remember the three straight walk-offs. That was part of the WXYT intro during the 2006 season.

I remember the 3-game walkoff stretch. I believe that is the same stretch that Munson hit one into the camera well dead center.

Yep! I still have that one on tape somewhere. I'm not sure what I enjoyed more, Mario's call, Rod's gleeful shrieks in the background, or the homerun itself.

I remember Justin Thompson going toe to toe with Pedro when he was with the expos. From memory, we lost 1-0. I believe that was Saturday afternoon game.

I can't remember if it was Saturday, but I remember how the Expos scored. Lead off (5th inning? maybe 6th?) double followed by a ground ball that advanced the runner followed by a sac fly.

I looked it up (God bless the Internets). It was a Saturday. 4th inning - Lansing doubled, advanced on a fly ball, walk, sac fly, ground out.

0 3 1

1 6 3

Martinez pitched a shutout walking 2 and striking out 14.

Thompson went 7 allowing 7 hits, walking 3 and striking out 7.

The game took 2:15 to play.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

I knew it was a Saturday because I was delivering pizzas at the time and recall listening to it in the back room. Saturday afternoons were quiet so you could just sit back and listen to radio and fold boxes.

Here's another one that was memorable.

April 22, 1999 Boston Red Sox at Detroit Tigers Box Score and Play by Play - Baseball-Reference.com

I had just finished up college and was in between jobs. I had 4 months where I didn't have school or work. Wife was working, we had been married less than a year. What better way to fill up a Thursday afternoon?

Justin didn't give up a hit until the fifth, a weak squibbler in front of the plate. Only gave up another single in the 9th before Jones came in.

Time of game 1:49.

Gave us more time at the nudie bar after I guess. Those were the days.

I was at the Thompson/Martinez game. I remember there was a Tigers fan at the hotel. He saw my Tigers hat and asked me if I had seen the game. I said that I had and that it was a good game even though the Tigers lost. He said it was a terrible game and that the Tigers sucked. He was there with his kid. It irritated me that someone would be so negative about baseball, so I didn't say anything else.

Edited by tiger337

I remember sitting behind home plate, 6 or 7 rows back, and watching Matt Anderson come in and throw about 5 pitches over 100 mph, and the place going nuts (relatively speaking here) everytime he cracked 100.