NeedMoreLike84

Could Leyland still be let go?

Leyland takes them to the ALCS and people still want him gone? I rip him to shreds to, but he's coming off a high, not a low. Texas is just better and they proved it. If the Tigers can add a few needed pieces they may get over top. I wish he would move Gino to bench coach.

After 2012 who knows. I like Tom Brookens just fine. I like Kirk Gibson, but if Arizona contends or is even decent next year he won't be fired and as much as he would love to manage the Tigers, he'd NEVER walk out on the Diamondbacks while under contract...NEVER.

If the Tigers are still contending, close to a World Series or coming off of a World Series win, I don't know that I'd want a first time manager like Brookens stepping in. I am pretty sure that Terry Francona is taking the next year off and he has 2 rings and is a great manager - forget some of the negative crap the Red Sox or Boston Globe is trying to put out there, Francona is a good manager and a good man.

Who said they want him gone?

If Leyland ceases to be the Tigers manager in for any part of the 2012 or 2013 season it will be because he's chosen to step down or because he's incapacitated in some way. I don't think the former is likely and I certainly hope the latter is not.

Jim Leyland is regarded as one of the elite managers in MLB. I have a feeling he lives for baseball and thus might be around more than this upcoming year.

As for Pujols, it would definitely surprise me, but I wouldn't have the freak out of excitement that many would... Remember last time we showed flashes of brilliance in 06? Illitch went all out, and got Cabrera from nowhere.

This is goosebump stuff :cool:

The Cardinals don't want to lose Albert and he doesn't want to leave. Considering the additional post-season revenue the team will accrue I believe the chances of Pujols leaving are almost nil, Fielder, maybe.

The Cardinals don't want to lose Albert and he doesn't want to leave. Considering the additional post-season revenue the team will accrue I believe the chances of Pujols leaving are almost nil, Fielder, maybe.

That and the fact that they're in the World Series. He wants to play for a winner and he is.

Look for Leyland and Valverde back next year. Thank God Toronto Maple Leaf fans don't run our ballclub. Those poor, crazy kids. That's all I got, fellas. G'night.

It seems as if people still suggest that Leyland made out poor lineups, despite the fact that we have seen them result in success. I find that highly amusing. No, correlation doesn't automatically mean causation, but I think many of his moves worked out for a reason. Peralta has always been better with less pressure, near the bottom of the lineup. Guys like Kelly,Santiago, Inge and Jackson(not in postseason haha) rewarded him down the stretch for his faith in them. I just don't get it myself

It seems as if people still suggest that Leyland made out poor lineups, despite the fact that we have seen them result in success. I find that highly amusing. No, correlation doesn't automatically mean causation, but I think many of his moves worked out for a reason. Peralta has always been better with less pressure, near the bottom of the lineup. Guys like Kelly,Santiago, Inge and Jackson(not in postseason haha) rewarded him down the stretch for his faith in them. I just don't get it myself

Also don't forget that their have been analysis doe that show that lineup order is immaterial.

Also don't forget that there has been analysis done that show that lineup order is immaterial.

FTFY.

I don't like many of Leyland's line-ups. Sure, they won the division, but could they have been better? I say yes. And the way he uses the BP stinks, IMO. He lets guys sit for a week or two and then brings them in during a high pressure situation. BP arms don't stay sharp if they aren't used on a regular basis. Get them some work during a blow-out win/loss. No reason to have Verlander pitch 8 innings with 120 pitches when we're up by 6 or 7 runs.

I wouldn't want Fielder. He's slow, strikes out way too often and he looks out of shape. And we have VMart as a DH. Pujols would be a major upgrade defensivley at 1st base but Cabby would be a hazard at 3rd base. And the cost? Wow, no way.

We were lucky to get Leyland and lucky to have him stay for so long. I hope he stays for several more years.

I see Brookens as a Leyland disciple and expect him to have success as a major league manager. Let me disclose that I was raised in Central PA and played Chambersburg HS (Brookens's HS) in various sports during the 80s when Brookens was in the majors. I hope Brookens succeeds Leyland.

Lastly and admittedly off topic, I attended ALCS games 3 and 4 at Detroit and greatly enjoyed the experience. Detroit has knowledgeble and friendly baseball fans. I feel a real affinity when I am there, even though I left Michigan after the first nine months of my life. In my experience, one of the best things in midwest America is a home game at Comerica Park.

Just curious, are you guys rooting for Gibson to make his way back to Detroit to manage when Leyland's done?

I would be all for it.