Shinma

10/16/11. 49ers @ Lions. FOX, 1:05pm. Week 6.

The other problem, 4 trips to red zone and NOT ONCE did we even try to throw to Calvin, he has proven that he can catch it with 3 guys on him. Throw him the damn ball.

I can't believe they wouldn't throw him the ball. Linehan is really holding this team back.

How do you know the play call was not to go to Calvin? Perhaps Stafford moved off of Calvin and went elsewhere.

The other problem, 4 trips to red zone and NOT ONCE did we even try to throw to Calvin, he has proven that he can catch it with 3 guys on him. Throw him the damn ball.

I can't believe they wouldn't throw him the ball. Linehan is really holding this team back.

Reminds me of the 4th down play against the Vikings... Everyone was expecting they would run it with Peterson, so they went a different way. The Vikings out thought themselves. Same here... Yeah, everyone knows we're gonna try a fade route to CJ... but it'll probably work anyway.

As a Green Bay fan, reading this thread, you wouldn't realize the Lions are a 5-1 football team.

I hear what you're saying, but I'm not going to suck their balls just because they're 5-1.

They lost a game they should have won today, and absolutely mailed it in at the 2-minute warning. Disgusting.

Are the Tennessee Titans better than the Baltimore Ravens? They were on one day, but no, they are not. This is the NFL and there are ups and downs and for the most part anyone can beat anyone - that's what makes it great.

Lions may have bought into the hype a bit too much, could have just been flat. It happens. They are 5-1 and they are for real and we haven't seen their best yet.

But there was something up with Stafford today. He looked like he drank Nyquil before the game.

How do you know the play call was not to go to Calvin? Perhaps Stafford moved off of Calvin and went elsewhere.

Just throw him the ball.

As a Green Bay fan, reading this thread, you wouldn't realize the Lions are a 5-1 football team.

Yeah... but in a way, that's a good thing! If we grip this much about a close loss that means we're (finally!!) in a position where we expect wins.

lmao. Alright. See you back in the game threads when the Lions are reeling off 19-0 seasons one after another. Enjoy.

19-0 seasons one after another? Are you actually trying to be taken seriously in this place?

You guys still have that loser mentality, where you are ok with a loss. I'm furious. We should have won.

19-0 seasons one after another? Are you actually trying to be taken seriously in this place?

Well according to you that's what makes a good team. This team has lost one game, therefore they are no longer good. So, like I said. We'll see you back here when the Lions are never losing games no matter who they are playing against.

You guys still have that loser mentality, where you are ok with a loss. I'm furious. We should have won.

The loser mentality is to keep stewing and bitching about it. The winner mentality is to move on and beat your next opponent.

There's a difference between losing a game, and blowing a game. A loss to a good team I can handle (it happens. Can't win them all). But if you watched this game you'd know what everyone here is a little frustrated about. Getting beat by the other team is one thing; watching your team beat themselves can be maddening.

There's a difference between losing a game, and blowing a game. A loss to a good team I can handle (it happens. Can't win them all). But if you watched this game you'd know what everyone here is a little frustrated about. Getting beat by the other team is one thing; watching your team beat themselves can be maddening.

The 49ers are 5-1. You realize this, right?

Dude... take it down a notch or two. There is no one here who is HAPPY with the loss. There is no one here who is satisfied with the loss.

Many people are saying: If happens... teams come out flat every now and then... Teams lose. Because they lost one game doesn't mean that they are suddenly a bad team. Look, what if we lost our first game of the year, but won this game? Just about everyone here would be yelling and screaming about being 5-1 and thrilled about how great the team is doing. But because this game was the loss, rather than the first game, everyone is down on the team.

Don't get me wrong, I'm unhappy too. It was a poorly played game. They could have won, and probably should have won. But I'm not giving up on them, nor do I consider them a bad team because they lost a game. I don't consider Stafford a bad QB because he had an off game.

This upcoming Falcons game will sure be a big game. Falcons are still a very good team, and have a lot to play for. Lions will need to come out sharp. Hopefully they will be fired up after this loss. You can't let one loss turn into more losses.

This upcoming Falcons game will sure be a big game. Falcons are still a very good team, and have a lot to play for. Lions will need to come out sharp. Hopefully they will be fired up after this loss. You can't let one loss turn into more losses.

My son and I will be at the Falcons game. I would have loved to see the Lions unbeaten going into that game. I hope they'll be ready to play for 60 minutes. These slow starts were bound to bite them sooner or later.

The 49ers are 5-1. You realize this, right?

What do you want me to do? Just because you're still dancing around waving blue pom poms and doing high kicks in your white boots and pleated skirt doesn't mean everyone else around here has to.

Had the 49ers played like a 5-1 team you'd have a point. The truth is they were terrible today. Terrible. They stunk as much as we did. The Lions just plain blew this game - one we needed to have. They bumbled a golden opportunity today.

You do want your team to get to the playoffs this year, do you not? Given it's unlikely we'll win our division, don't expect to have that wildcard spot handed to the Lions just because they're 5-1 today. (This just in: conference games actually matter.)

The Lions are apprently the first team in history that "needed to have" a game when they were 5-0. 5-1 is unacceptable.

What do you want me to do? Just because you're still dancing around waving blue pom poms and doing high kicks in your white boots and pleated skirt doesn't mean everyone else around here has to.

Had the 49ers played like a 5-1 team you'd have a point. The truth is they were terrible today. Terrible. They stunk as much as we did. The Lions just plain blew this game - one we needed to have. They bumbled a golden opportunity today.

You do want your team to get to the playoffs this year, do you not? Given it's unlikely we'll win our division, don't expect to have that wildcard spot handed to the Lions just because they're 5-1 today. (This just in: conference games actually matter.)

I like my pleated skirt. Hmph.

I do want the Lions to make the playoffs but I don't see 5-1 as being a panic point. Hell, it could be a wake-up call. Who knows. No one does until next week. Let's not have a coronary here.

I think we saw the other side of the do-or-die we can see with this team today.

When the passing game is going and Stafford is making smart decisions and isn't getting sacked, this team will have times it looks amazing. The thing is there probably be a few more games like this. The Lions are unable to effectively run out a clock and that's going to cost them games occasionally.

The question remains how many it will and if it will cost them in the playoffs (if they make the playoffs) when you are going against some of the better defenses.

But it's not like the team couldn't have overcome that. Special teams were just bad today. Hanson misses a field goal, albeit a long one, and his miss sets up SF's long field goal to end the half. Missing that FG put SF just about 20 yards out of field goal range. Another punt return pretty much set up the game-winning TD. Long punts kept the Lions inside their 20 all game long it seemed. SF's punting game was a big difference.

One can argue special teams won this game for SF.

But I don't think anyone predicted the Lions to go 16-0. It's a loss. Teams are going to lose games. I'm not going to get too riled about it. In fact, it's kind of shocking how little I am impacted by the loss. The team is still 5-1. I'll take that every season for the rest of my life.

Ya know... I'm reluctant to blame the refs because the Lions had their chances and didn't execute, but man oh man were we screwed by the refs this game. So many times I saw things like a OL's hands pushing the helmet back on a DL on our side, or holds, or blocks in the back that weren't called. Then we get the phantom chop block or the non-existent horse collar.

Just stinks... :(

The last thing that comes to my mind why the Lions lost this was the refs. In fact, I thought it was fortunate they got that "in the process" TD catch.

That's Stafford's sack! If I didn't know better I'd think Stafford has a bet on the game. PATHETIC. Worst EVER!!

That's a little harsh.

Next week I FULLY expect Stafford to start doing the first down motion...

That's who he reminded me of. I'm a little alarmed. What a gutless performance.

lol @ Lions fans thinking they don't want to win when they have executed some of the greatest comeback in team, and NFL history this season. They lost.

Amazing how quick they forget. And amazing how quickly we sometimes want to look at Stafford as a 7-year veteran with 100 games under his belt (this includes myself). He's still learning. And this may have been one of his worst games as a Lion. Yet, he didn't throw a pick and did have some pressure on him. He certainly made mistakes, but based on the number of starts he's had, he's so far ahead of the curve, it's not even funny.

People questioning his heart because of this game - even if he had never played before and this was the game we had to use to survey this part of his play, that's just plain silly.