Yoda

The 2011 Offseason!!

It would have been incredibly stupid though, who cares if Boston has collapsed and is a terrible team right now, if they can win 1 game the previous 162 won't matter at all!

What is the point of grinding through an incredibly long season to determine the best teams if they then have to play each other in one winner take all game? The LDS being best of 5 rather than 7 for no reason is dumb enough on it's own.

Why not just make the playoffs a single elimination tournament including every team in MLB, imagine the excitement of those games.

Well because the flip side of that coin is that if you don't let Boston in because they missed the playoffs by one game due to a late slump, you are devaluing the regular season. They played very well for msot of it and were the best team in baseball for a while. Outside of naming the regular season wins leader the world series champ, any sort of playoffs always devalues the regular season to some degree. 1 game will feel a bit gimmicky at first, but making the playoffs too long would suck too and I think its a nice opportunity for another small market team to squeeze its way in. Maybe a team like Tampa or Minnesota or even a Cleveland/KC/Oakland type can snag that 5 spot, win the 1 game playoff and earn some serious revenue and respect by getting into a legit playoff series or 2, or 3.

He has been a bad defensive outfielder, but he's been OK in limited time in the infield. As a piece of the puzzle at 2b and 3b (not fulltime) he could help.

Ya I'd love to have to replace Kelly. Spot start at all 3 spots and be the lefty bat off the bench. Our bench needs some talent

I think a one-game playoff is way too gimmicky. It's silly. However, I find myself not minding it, because the new set-up makes divisional titles more meaningful. No team is going to want to settle for a one-game playoff. Thus, I consider the change to be a net positive.

I agree with this almost entirely. I don't like the idea of a 85-win team being able to knock out a 95-win wild-card team with one game. They might as well just flip a coin and skip the game. In baseball, one game often comes down to luck.

It's kind of justified though because neither team won their division. And it allows more realistic competition from smaller market teams. The Blue Jays and the Orioles will actually believe it's worth it now to field competitive rosters because they don't have to overcome the NY/Boston behemoth. And it makes valuable a lot more late-season games for many more teams.

I don't know if, in balance though, that I'd call it a net positive. I'd call it a net negative, but not horribly skewed to the negative side. A one game playoff in baseball is just downright silly. It should at least be three games. I'd rather they have to cram a three game series into two days (including a double-header if it has to go to a third game) than just have a one-game playoff.

Edited by TheCouga

+1

I am surprised by the vitriol he is getting being a back up..a back up...not the starter...not the starter, but a back up...I mean I know its important..I do...., but a back up? I mean were talking about a back up...no a starter...not a starter...a back up.

I understand what you're saying and agree with your point (to an extent), but then there's the situation's flip side. Laird will be starting (they say) about 1/4 of the games (around 40 of them), presumably against LHPs. Imagine possibly this batting order against such pitchers ... 7. Laird, 8. Inge, 9. Jackson. Or, even worse, maybe this one ... 8. Laird, 9. Inge, 1. Jackson.

Ugh.

It would have been nice to get a bit more pop in the (admittedly) backup C's bat, particularly given the neighborhood in which he will be batting.

Still, in the whole cosmic scheme of big things, you're probably right to suggest that this isn't really one of them.

Good move for Twins. Didn't fit great here IMO with VMart already here, but he gives them insurance behind Mauer and Morneau and is a great replacement for either Kubel or Cuddyer, as he's likely about a third the price and very similar production. DH is open for the Twins and RF is a spot he can help out too, especially out there with Span and Revere who both cover a lot of ground.

I understand what you're saying and agree with your point (to an extent), but then there's the situation's flip side. Laird will be starting (they say) about 1/4 of the games (around 40 of them), presumably against LHPs. Imagine possibly this batting order against such pitchers ... 7. Laird, 8. Inge, 9. Jackson. Or, even worse, maybe this one ... 8. Laird, 9. Inge, 1. Jackson.

Ugh.

It would have been nice to get a bit more pop in the (admittedly) backup C's bat, particularly given the neighborhood in which he will be batting.

Still, in the whole cosmic scheme of big things, you're probably right to suggest that this isn't really one of them.

Yah, we need to get a full time answer at 3B so the bottom of the lineup doesn't become an issue. Hopefully Jackson improves and maybe you play Raburn at 2B vs. lefties in order to get some pop in the lineup to balance out Laird's lack there of.

I wasn't sure why in the story I was reading about the new 1 game playoff they dogged the last day this season when Tampa Bay beat out the Red Sox and St. Louis ended up in the playoffs over Atlanta. And that we weren't have to see that kind of day again with the new rule. WHY NOT!? THAT WAS THE GREATEST DAY OF BASEBALL EVER!

I think a one-game playoff is way too gimmicky. It's silly. However, I find myself not minding it, because the new set-up makes divisional titles more meaningful. No team is going to want to settle for a one-game playoff. Thus, I consider the change to be a net positive.

def makes divisional titles more meaningful...we would likely have to pitch Verlander in this game...meaning he wouldn't be able to start game 1 of the divisional series

I don't like the set up... Say this is the final standings in any given year...

1. Baltimore Orioles (91-71)

2. Toronto Blue Jays (81-81)

1. Detroit Tigers (162-0)

2. Kansas City Royals (105-57)

1. Houston Astros (89-73)

2. Seattle Mariners (84-80)

Why is it fair to have a one game playoff between the 105 win Royals and 84 win Mariners? Obviously the Royals would deserve that 4th spot, but anything can happen in one game.

I don't like it either really, but it could just as easily be this:

1. Baltimore Orioles (83-79)

2. Toronto Blue Jays (81-81)

1. Detroit Tigers (162-0)

2. Kansas City Royals (93-69)

1. Houston Astros (95-67)

2. Seattle Mariners (94-68)

Now at least and Seattle get the shot they deserve.

What if the Tigers and Royals both have 96 wins and they play each other in game 162. The Tigers use Verlander on three days rest, so they can win that game and avoid the one game playoff. They lose the game 1-0. So, now they face the 85 win Yankees in the playoff game: Sabathia versus Porcello.

I agree there are way too many variables. Does the #1 WC get home field? What if the #2 WC had to beat #1 WC twice to overtake them? I think that'd be a good idea, but where would those games be played?

Well, with the Laird signing, here's my newest offseason wishes haha. This one's more realistic and simple.

Trade Delmon Young, pay $3-4 mill of his salary, Avisail Garcia, and Andy Oliver for Martin Prado and Peter Moylan.

Sign David Dejesus for 2 years, $14 mill.

(IF CBA rules change) sign Octavio Dotel 2 years, $7 mill.

DFA Kelly, hope he accepts demotion to AAA Toledo, call up Will Rhymes.

Sign Erik Bedard 1 year, $4 mill

Sign Joel Zumaya to a minor league contract

By my accounts, that's around a $120 mill payroll

Lineup vs Righties:

1. Dejesus LF/RF

2. Prado 3B

3. Boesch LF/RF

4. Cabrera 1B

5. Martinez DH

6. Avila C

7. Peralta SS

8. Rhymes 2B

9. Jackson CF

Lineup vs Lefties

1. Jackson CF

2. Prado 3B

3. Boesch RF

4. Cabrera 1B

5. Martinez DH

6. Peralta SS

7. Raburn LF

8. Avila C

9. Worth 2B

25 man roster to start the year:

C: Avila, Laird

1B: Cabrera

2B: Rhymes, Worth

3B: Prado, Inge

SS: Peralta

LF: Dejesus, Raburn

CF: Jackson

RF: Boesch

SP: Verlander, Fister, Scherzer, Porcello, Bedard

RH RP: Valverde, Benoit, Al Al, Perry, Moylan, Dotel

LH RP: Coke, Schlereth

Waiting in case of emergence/injury in the minors: Turner, Smyly, Kelly, Dirks, Zumaya

also Rhymes STARTING at 2B...

seriously...and didn't kelly pretty much cement his worth to this team this year and in the playoffs?

Kelly stays, I'm sure.

25 man roster to start the year:

C: Avila, Laird

1B: Cabrera

2B: Rhymes, Worth

3B: Prado, Inge

SS: Peralta

LF: Dejesus, Raburn

CF: Jackson

RF: Boesch

SP: Verlander, Fister, Scherzer, Porcello, Bedard

RH RP: Valverde, Benoit, Al Al, Perry, Moylan, Dotel

LH RP: Coke, Schlereth

You have 12 hitters/13 pitchers, should be the reverse.

You forgot Victor. 2 pitchers have to go. Dotel is not going from premium innings with Champs to mop up duty in Detroit. I hate Kelly but he is so much better than Rhymes, it is not even close.

The Braves are going to get offered better RH power OFs than Elmon.

Edit: I do like DDJ, Bedard, Zoom. If DD can get Prado somehow, that would be great.

Edited by RatkoVarda

Well, with the Laird signing, here's my newest offseason wishes haha. This one's more realistic and simple.

Trade Delmon Young, pay $3-4 mill of his salary, Avisail Garcia, and Andy Oliver for Martin Prado and Peter Moylan.

Sign David Dejesus for 2 years, $14 mill.

(IF CBA rules change) sign Octavio Dotel 2 years, $7 mill.

DFA Kelly, hope he accepts demotion to AAA Toledo, call up Will Rhymes.

Sign Erik Bedard 1 year, $4 mill

Sign Joel Zumaya to a minor league contract

By my accounts, that's around a $120 mill payroll

a) I think it'll take alot more than you propose to get that deal for Prado, but I hope DD can pull it off.

b) I like Dejesus, but I think he can be had cheaper. Maybe 2/11 + an option for 2014

c) I like Frankie Francisco better.

d) I don't want Will Rhymes anywhere near my club. Hopefully Atl will take him as part of the Prado deal (I know, not going to happen).

e) Yes, sign Bedard to a Penny type contract.

f) No objections, and I hope Joel is finally able to compete again.

I don't understand all the hate on Will Rhymes. We've given him barely any shot at the big league level (yes, i know that's for a reason). But if we're looking for a second baseman with on-base skills and can defend his position relatively well with some speed, Will Rhymes fits all those categories. Granted, not to the extent that we would like, but who else is there that's cheap? Furcal? No thanks.

I don't understand all the hate on Will Rhymes. We've given him barely any shot at the big league level (yes, i know that's for a reason). But if we're looking for a second baseman with on-base skills and can defend his position relatively well with some speed, Will Rhymes fits all those categories. Granted, not to the extent that we would like, but who else is there that's cheap? Furcal? No thanks.

Who's hating on Will Rhymes? Why do people act like criticism of a player or belief there are better options out there are undue hate?

He played himself out of the starting 2B spot in 2011. Both Danny Worth and Ryan Raburn can play multiple positions, which Rhymes can't, and Worth is a better defender.

But if we're looking for a second baseman with on-base skills and can defend his position relatively well with some speed, Will Rhymes fits all those categories.

actually, no, not really

Who's hating on Will Rhymes? Why do people act like criticism of a player or belief there are better options out there are undue hate?

He played himself out of the starting 2B spot in 2011. Both Danny Worth and Ryan Raburn can play multiple positions, which Rhymes can't, and Worth is a better defender.

...which is why I have all 3 on my team next year. And by hate, i don't literally mean "hate", dont take it literally lol