Yoda

The 2011 Offseason!!

Who would you replace Elmon with? The free agent LFs don't really excite me, but I haven't finished reading through the list on MLBT yet.

No D? I love it.

No D? I love it.
LOL, gotta admit, good one—Freudian slip or not.
It's been a running joke for weeks...

All the Reyes talk has me excited, I didn't think he would be a great idea but there is no denying he would correct a lot of the things people complained about on here throughout the year.

I like Bruce Chen as a Left Handed SP pickup. He'd be cheap, tried and tested in the AL(Central), solid numbers the last 2 years for a #4/5 starter and available. Turner could start the year at AAA if the main 4 from this year are all back, and be sure when he comes up, he is up for good.

We need a backup catcher for Avila. I don't think Martinez will be catching again, and I don't mind. If Inge would agree to catch 30/40 games over the year, I could certainly live with it. If he doesn't, its hard to justify his roster spot, as much as I would like too. Santos could certainly catch, but his bat would more than likely be hopeless. Ryan Doumit anyone? Could catch, play some 1B to spell Miggy and be a 6th OF to boot. His bat would certainly be a lot more useful than Santos' too.

For the bullpen, Joel Peralta. Were set at the back end, Coke will be back in the pen and hopefully Al Al will return to what he was - he'll certainly be given the chance to do so. I was happy when we were linked with Peralta at the trade deadline, so would like it if we went for him now. He'd give another solid RHP in the pen and would hopefully mean Perry could be in AAA or possible trade bait.

And lastly yeah, Reyes. Lead off hitter with excellent speed and defense, sign me up. Jhonny could move over to 3B and the left side of the infield would all of a sudden have 2 very good bats and gloves.

Verlander - God

Fister - RHP

Scherzer - RHP

Porcello - RHP

Chen - LHP

Valverde - 9th

Benoit - 8th

Coke - LHP

Peralta - RHP

Al Al - RHP

Schlereth - LHP

Reyes - SS

Boesch - OF

Cabrera - 1B

Martinez - DH

Avila - C

Peralta - 3B

Young - OF

Santiago - 2B

Jackson - CF

Dirks - OF

Doumit - C/1B/OF

Inge - 3B

Raburn - 2B/OF

Kelly - Everywhere

My only issue was trying to justify a roster spot for Inge if he is only going to play 3B. If we sign Reyes, Peralta moves across and Kelly is there to back him up. I could have another bullpen arm without having to consider him. Signed for $5 million though, I think he will probably be around.

Obviously, at this time of year, its all a load of 'What Ifs?' but heck, its fun trying to work it out! I need something to do over the Winter bar compare Tigers schedule and Expedia flight searches. :cheeky:

I have never seen anything more wrong.

Boesch can be a borderline all-star for years too come. His 2nd half this year means nothing, he was injured and hardly played. Every manager in baseball would put Boesch in as a starting OF.

Correct IMO

I know I've beaten the point to death but I'm going to say it one more time: we don't need Reyes. Sure, he'd help out his first year or two but his contract would hurt every time free agency comes up. He relies on speed which will be gone in a few years. Keep Peralta where he is and get Carroll for second. Didn't we all say Peralta looked a lot more comfortable at short than third? Reyes would also cost us a draft pick.

Once again, remember when we were drooling over Cliff Lee, Jayson Werth and Adam Dunn last year? Remember how disappointed a lot of people were we didn't get any of them? Our team went farther than all three teams that did get one of them. We need to fill holes, not get superstars, we have two and plenty of guys who are great. What we need are guys that can play roles, like getting on base and stealing. Yes, Reyes can do those things but others can too and for a lot less money and commitment.

You will all hate Reyes after two years. We don't want him.
Heard the same thing about Kenny Rogers, Pudge, Sheffield, etc. etc. etc. Too much sports talk radio.

Heard the same thing about Kenny Rogers, Pudge, Sheffield, etc. etc. etc. Too much sports talk radio.

But they don't rely on speed. They aged but still had their skills.

But they don't rely on speed. They aged but still had their skills.

.337/.384/.493 (.877 OPS).... I could care less about the 40 SB's, that's some nice hitting that isn't just based on speed.

DeJesus has a career .356 obp, hits left handed, and plays solid defense at either corner outfield position. DD would be crazy not to go after him.

Kind of on the same subject, I would definitely inquire to see what the Yankees would want for Brett Gardner. Gardner plays elite defense in left field but would also offer us the security to play centerfield if Jackson does not improve.

Quoting DeJesus' career numbers isn't a good way to predict what he will do next year. He's past his prime and in decline.

I think he'd make a decent platoon partner/defensive replacement at this point, but as a starter, he's not really better overall than what we already have.

Also, I think there's zero chance of the Yankees getting rid of Gardner. Why would they even want to?

The bottom line is that there's not any good corner outfield options available this offseason. None that are even surely better than Delmon Young. I think Young's potential upside outweighs everything else (Beltran's age and expense, DeJesus' declining hitting skills, Willingham being close to over the hill and sub-par defense, etc.).

I think Dombrowski will stick with Young due to 1) a 1-year arbitration deal being a very low risk, and 2) his penchant for liking high tools guys that he can coach and refine. DY's drawback is his lack of coachability...which is something that naturally gets better for a lot of people as they age and mature. I think being workout buddies with Boesch has the potential to rub off on him, as well. And I think we have a team nucleus that is strong psychologically, where someone like Young might fit in. I think fielding skills are probably some of the easiest to coach, and if he works out and loses some weight, he could have a breakout year at the plate.

I just believe that Young will have a good year next year and start living up to his potential. Others may believe I'm being too optimistic, and that's a fair viewpoint, too. He may not, but I think the upside is worth the somewhat lower risk you take when signing aging free agents that have no upside.

Edited by TheCouga

I got the 2B for you.... will cost you about 6.5m for one year, plays great defense, offense has slipped a little in the last 2 years, still better than what we have had tho... Has experience batting #2 in the lineup.... his team wants to trade him.. he is 36 years old... would help for a year, maybe 2...

and we all know him!

Placido Polonco

Placido Polanco Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

Why do people still think he's a good hitter? He is ok defensively but really not a very good hitter at all. We'd be just as well off with Santiago starting. In fact Santiago was better offensively than Polanco and barely cost us a dollar. He most definitely hasn't been better than what we've had. This year or last.

Edited by Yoda

Porcello is barely over legal drinking age and already has put together three full seasons of well-over .500 (combined) pitching. He's not perfect, but definitely worth keeping as a 4th starter for the foreseeable future barring a great trade offer.

I understand he is young, he has potential and all of that. I just don't see him being any good in the future. I hope I'm wrong and he can come out and put up an ERA under 4.5 every year but time will tell. I doubt he goes any where anyways unless it's part of a big trade.

I got the 2B for you.... will cost you about 6.5m for one year, plays great defense, offense has slipped a little in the last 2 years, still better than what we have had tho... Has experience batting #2 in the lineup.... his team wants to trade him.. he is 36 years old... would help for a year, maybe 2...

and we all know him!

Placido Polonco

Placido Polanco Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

I got a 2B for you. He had a higher BA, OBP, Slugging, and OPS than Polanco, would cost nothing in terms of players, is coming off a 2 year 3.8 million dollar contract (less than a third of Polanco's annual salary) and is only one year older than Polanco.

Jamey Carroll.

Porcello is barely over legal drinking age and already has put together three full seasons of well-over .500 (combined) pitching. He's not perfect, but definitely worth keeping as a 4th starter for the foreseeable future barring a great trade offer.

There are many reasons to keep porcello, but his pitching record has nothing to do with them.

All Lloyd McClendon do was lead the Tigers to a top 5 finish in runs, BA, and OBP and turn around the careers of Boesch, Peralta, and Avila.

Wasn't it you that was going on about how Peralta started hitting because he switched positions?

There are many reasons to keep porcello, but his pitching record has nothing to do with them.
I have to agree with this.

Wasn't it you that was going on about how Peralta started hitting because he switched positions?

Yup. There is a correlation between Peralta playing SS and his offense. I have also read Lloyd worked with all spring to get him to go back up the middle.

I got a 2B for you. He had a higher BA, OBP, Slugging, and OPS than Polanco, would cost nothing in terms of players, is coming off a 2 year 3.8 million dollar contract (less than a third of Polanco's annual salary) and is only one year older than Polanco.

Jamey Carroll.

This is another possible scenario. Polly should stay in the NL.

All this talk of Brandon Inge catching next year needs to stop. He'll be 35 years old and one year removed from major knee surgery. He will not ever catch a MLB game again.

That said, his D this postseason is the reason you keep him around next year, as long as there is a good LH platoon option. Inge/Kelly is not an ideal pairing.

Quoting DeJesus' career numbers isn't a good way to predict what he will do next year. He's past his prime and in decline.

I think he'd make a decent platoon partner/defensive replacement at this point, but as a starter, he's not really better overall than what we already have.

Also, I think there's zero chance of the Yankees getting rid of Gardner. Why would they even want to?

The bottom line is that there's not any good corner outfield options available this offseason. None that are even surely better than Delmon Young. I think Young's potential upside outweighs everything else (Beltran's age and expense, DeJesus' declining hitting skills, Willingham being close to over the hill and sub-par defense, etc.).

I think Dombrowski will stick with Young due to 1) a 1-year arbitration deal being a very low risk, and 2) his penchant for liking high tools guys that he can coach and refine. DY's drawback is his lack of coachability...which is something that naturally gets better for a lot of people as they age and mature. I think being workout buddies with Boesch has the potential to rub off on him, as well. And I think we have a team nucleus that is strong psychologically, where someone like Young might fit in. I think fielding skills are probably some of the easiest to coach, and if he works out and loses some weight, he could have a breakout year at the plate.

I just believe that Young will have a good year next year and start living up to his potential. Others may believe I'm being too optimistic, and that's a fair viewpoint, too. He may not, but I think the upside is worth the somewhat lower risk you take when signing aging free agents that have no upside.

Disagree with the bolded part. As for him being better than what we got, depends on how you break it down. He has a totally different skill set (speed/baserunning, obp ability, plus OF defense), which would be a good fit here. He'd be a good leadoff, very good #2 hitter in our lineup.

I'd be OK with re-signing Young, as long as we can find a way to play him as a DH mostly. Meaning you have to be willing to move Cabrera to 3B and play Victor at 1B.

And we definitely need a full-time back-up catcher. Alex should not catch so many innings next year.

Edited by toadhunter911