Yoda

The 2011 Offseason!!

Was he hurt in 2010? Small sample size? 350 at bats is a small sample size? He is a career .182 hitter in the 2nd half. .321 in the first half
Yes he was. He kept aggravating the injury each of the last few years.

Was he hurt in 2010? Small sample size? 350 at bats is a small sample size? He is a career .182 hitter in the 2nd half. .321 in the first half

He was a rookie. You don't make knee jerk reactions, especially based on a rookie year. We can conclude then Jacob Turner will not be a good major league pitcher.

Yes he was. He kept aggravating the injury each of the last few years.

So how can you pencil him in the lineup full time, when he has proven that he can't stay healthy over the course of a full season? Guy is a platoon player.

Lineup

It's kind of amazing to me that a team with a leadoff hitter that struggled all season, that had to keep toying with the second and third spots in their lineup and rarely manufactures a run with its legs could end up 4th in runs scored. The way I look at it is that they have at least 3 open positions (LF, 2B and 3B) and 2 huge needs:

1) Team speed.

2) Leadoff hitter. (They have to determine if Jackson's bat is fixable.)

Defense

It's time for Dombrowski to come to grips with the size of his home park and the draft model (pitching driven) on which he's built this team and quit trying to get away with "he might get a hold of one" bats to stick in LF. A full season of Young shuffeling around like an old man is more than I want to endure. Secondly, I'd want to be real confident that Peralta is going to sustain his 2011 performance level.

Pitching

It's pretty obvious that they need to add at least 2 reliable arms to the Valverde/Benoit duo. I don't trust AA's health or Schlereth/Perry and will be holding my breath if any of them are a key component of the solution to this problem.

All Lloyd McClendon do was lead the Tigers to a top 5 finish in runs, BA, and OBP and turn around the careers of Boesch, Peralta, and Avila.

What about Jackson?

So how can you pencil him in the lineup full time, when he has proven that he can't stay healthy over the course of a full season? Guy is a platoon player.
Because he finally had surgery on it to repair the issue he was having.

What about Jackson?

What about him? Lloyd should be fired because one player didn't live up to expectations? He had a historically high 396 BABIP in 2010. It was 340 in 2011.

I have never seen anything more wrong.

Boesch can be a borderline all-star for years too come. His 2nd half this year means nothing, he was injured and hardly played. Every manager in baseball would put Boesch in as a starting OF.

All Lloyd McClendon do was lead the Tigers to a top 5 finish in runs, BA, and OBP and turn around the careers of Boesch, Peralta, and Avila.

One thing about Lloyd though is that whether you think he is a great hitting coach or not, I don't think there would be much disagreement that he is a tinkerer, not a swing architect. At best Lloyd has shown an ability to help guys tweak their mechanics here than there and work on their basic approach. This is fine - but the biggest hitting coach project we have right now is Jackson - and I believe he needs a total retool. He needs a Charlie Lau type who can teach him to hit all over again from scratch. I haven't seen any reason to suspect that is in Lloyd's toolbox - so my question is - who do they assign Jackson's 'case' to?

Why Porcello? He's decent, still got a good amount of upside, and he's cheaper than signing someone from the FA market to fill his 4th starter role.

I just don't think Porcello is going to be any better than below average for his career. I don't pay the salaries so I don't care that he is cheap. I want someone one that will go out there an put up consistently good numbers.

After 2006 we got Sheffield, after 2007 we made the Cabrera deal. After 2009 it wsa the Granderson trade. Wouldn't shock me if DD has another move in him. Not sure what we could do but the big boys can figure that out.

Well phooey, I hadn't realized that Toronto had re-uped Yunel Escobar for two years. Escobar was a guy I wanted if the Tigers weren't going to pull out big money at the bank for Jose Reyes or if they missed their opportunity to get Reyes. The guy has been has flying under the radar with decent consistency in Toronto the past couple of seasons. This season he put up good, though not great numbers, an OPS of .369 and wOBA .345. I had looked at Escobar as an opportunity to save money on Reyes so it can be put to use elsewhere, give us a productive lead-off man who can get on base and fill a need defensively at second base. Toronto's bringing him back next year though so there goes that idea.

So if he gets hurt twice with the same injury, then fixes it, why has he "proven he can't stay healthy". It's a thumb. Not a knee or an ankle.

I think the Tigers will be in on Reyes. He fills a position of need 2b or SS with Jhonny moving to 3rd.......and he is a leadoff guy that at worst would probably be a .280 hitter.

Boesch is fine. His 2nd half drop off was far less dramatic than in his ROOKIE season and his thumb was a problem for weeks. He did improve. He became a better defensive player (worked hard to do it). Jackson is fine, they don't need to replace him as an everyday outfielder - just as a leadoff hitter. He is a great gold-glove cailber CF and one of the few actual fast guys on the team.

I am just a big Reyes fan for what he does to the top of the order.

I would love to take Beuhrle because it would be such a middle finger to the Sox (and he's a damned good pitcher).

If they dont pick up Sizemores option I would pick him up in a heartbeat. Wont be terribly expensive will only want a one or two year deal to show hes healthy. Hes a top of the order hitter with speed and good defense.

Reyes is the absolute ideal fit for this team. However, there's no way I see him signing as a 2B. I also can't say I want to pay him $15-20M/yr for 6+ years. I think he signs at 6/$100 type level - that's tough to swallow but if Mr I wants to win the WS this is probably the best move for the team in the window thru 2014. He plays SS, Johnny plays 3rd. Add a BP arm that's rock solid for the 7th in addition to Benoit/Valverde/Coke & I believe the Tigers are loaded. They are a heavy favorite for the division if they do that and I think have the starting pitching juice there to be a real solid playoff team.

Given what's available in the OF as FA's right now I'm fine with Boesch, DY, and Dirks in the corners.

The sad part is I keep forgetting that Zumaya is on the team. Weird.

He won't be unless they resign him. His contract is up.

McClendon had nothing to do with Avila and Boesch. Avila worked out with Cabrera and Boesch with Ryan Braun in the off-season to improve their hitting. Not sure about Peralta, but didn't he just switch to a heavier bat?

McClendon is a not a great hitting coach at all.

I just don't think Porcello is going to be any better than below average for his career. I don't pay the salaries so I don't care that he is cheap. I want someone one that will go out there an put up consistently good numbers.

Porcello is barely over legal drinking age and already has put together three full seasons of well-over .500 (combined) pitching. He's not perfect, but definitely worth keeping as a 4th starter for the foreseeable future barring a great trade offer.

Jackson should not be leading off next season. Bat him 8th or 9th. Tigers need a 2B or 3B. I'm fine with acquiring a SS and shifting Peralta over to 3B.

Dejesus is tailor made for comerica park.

DeJesus has a career .356 obp, hits left handed, and plays solid defense at either corner outfield position. DD would be crazy not to go after him.

Kind of on the same subject, I would definitely inquire to see what the Yankees would want for Brett Gardner. Gardner plays elite defense in left field but would also offer us the security to play centerfield if Jackson does not improve.

Dejesus is tailor made for comerica park.

Yep, I've wanted him for LF and have Dirks ready if we can't get him. Forgot about him when making my initial post.