Yoda

The 2011 Offseason!!

They are very close. Off course there are always injuries and off years from players. We hit roughly 13 HRs in the ALCS and Texas hit 7 (6 by NC). Not sure what they need is another big bat that 'clogs' up the bases. IMHO they need to score by more different means. Not necessarily base stealing as much as base taking (ex. 1st to 3rd, 2nd to home, scoring from 1st on a double, etc.). So, a faster player or two with 'punch' might help. I would think one of 2B/3B (or even SS IF JP would not mind moving to 2B or 3B) is the most likely place.

A decent back-up C. VMart should mainly DH with the ability to C if/when needed.

A veteran RP who has post season exp (ex. ODotel,...).

SP is tricky, maybe a BChen type? Someone to hold it down until Oliver or Turner are ready.

I think the team might get one bigger ticket player and add the other pieces.

Hopefully between Zumaya and AA they can make one player that is around most of the time. It seems the team just will try to do this...regardless.

Brandon Phillips is what this team needs. I would also love to see Reyes, but it's not going to happen. I'd put Phillips into the lead off spot

They need to find a top of the order bat to get Jackson in the 9th hole and pick up another late inning reliever. Those 2 things happen and I think they're WS contenders. Degree of confidence in their WS contending goes up depending on what they do in addition to add to the rotation, get a better all-around corner OF than DY, etc.

As usual, as we speculate today, the opening day roster of the '12 Detroit Tigers will be a lot different than most of us could or would ever imagine. They're be a lot of surprises and the opening day roster will look a lot different than we think. The speculation is a lot of fun, wouldn't you love to be in DD's shoes to carve out even a better team for 2012?

One of the issues with middle bullpen is the Tiger starters most often go deep in games and the 8th and 9th are accounted for. Did you notice when Texas or New York brought in a reliever a lot of them had up to 100 appearances or 60+ innings and it wasn't the closer?

There were times last year where I had to go see if Phil Coke was on IR because he'd gone a couple of weeks without getting in a game. You can't ask a guy to not pitch for extend periods, and then come in and pitch great. To do it well you need to do it relatively regularly.

As it stands the Tigers have a good bullpen. The 5th starter spot for next year I hope they give Below and Adam Wilk a shot. Adam Wilk is one of those guys who gets no respect in the radar gun era but he throws 4 pitches where he wants to throw them.

Here is a short list of people I hope are not in the Tigers organization come the start of next season.

Brad Penny

Delmon Young

Rick Porcello

David Pauley

Gene Lamont

Loyd McLendon

I also would not be upset if Austin Jackson was traded.

Also if Magglio is done as a player, offer him the hitting coach job.

My (what I think is realistic) dream roster next year

Rotation

Verlander

Buehrle

Fister

Porcello

Scherzer

Bullpen

Velverde

Benoit

Coke

Marte

Albuquerque

Below

Pitching Machine

Starting Lineup

2b Reyes

RF Boesch

3b Headley

1b Cabrera

DH Martinez

LF Young

SS Peralta

C Avila

CF Jackson

Bench

Kelly (RF, LF, 3B, 1B, CF)

Inge (C mostly, because they'd have to pay him anyway)

Raburn (RF, CF, LF, 2b, 3B, 1B)

Santiago (2B, SS)

I would like to have someone a bit faster off the bench though.

I agree with all of this, though I think there is no reason not to keep Young. He is under contract for another year, seems to have done well with the bat. Find a new LF after next year. I'd also be ok with continuing to platoon 3B with Inge and whoever.

DD better build that bullpen. It has zero depth; we relied too heavily on Benoit and Valverde. (need more veteran guys obviously)

An actual lead off man would be great. Wouldn't mind it if they went after Reyes.

Haven't looked at the list of free agents but those are the 2 areas that I want them to upgrade.

Dombrowski has 10 MLB bullpen arms in the minors, I would say he has already "built" it.

If the Tigers needed 1B/DH and a closer, this would be a great offseason but there isn't much to be had outside of that.

And, the Tigers are in serious trouble if Boesch and Jackson are their everyday OF's.
Yeah, that just killed them this year.

mlbtraderumors says it's highly unlikely Cleveland picks up Grady Sizemore's option. I would sign him to a one year incentive laden deal.

And, the Tigers are in serious trouble if Boesch and Jackson are their everyday OF's.

Two guys going into their third years. One who will get a lot of work in at the plate this winter and has great defense and the other is shaping up to be a great hitter and has a pretty good glove. Both are young and cheap. I'll take it everyday

Yeah, that just killed them this year.

Look up Boesch's 2nd half numbers the past two years. Guy is not an everyday player, he and Raburn should switch places after the ASB. They would be good OF's on the Royals, but not on a contending team. One is fine, not both

Look up Boesch's 2nd half numbers the past two years. Guy is not an everyday player, he and Raburn should switch places after the ASB. They would be good OF's on the Royals, but not on a contending team. One is fine, not both

You're making this statement by using too small of a sample size and not bothering to factor in the fact that Boesch was swinging with a torn ligament in his thumb. You don't stop for two seconds and consider that that may have hampered his hitting ability in the 2nd half? He also played every day for the first half and did just fine. It is far too inaccurate to say that he can't be a productive everyday player at this point.

Carlos Beltran is old which certainly makes him a risk, but if you're going to sign a legitimately good hitter and not spend 80 million dollars he's probably the best bet. Finally was healthy this year and he completely raked...

I would like to see a little bit more athleticism in the field and on the basepaths. Would like to see a bit more aggressiveness on the basepaths rather than station to station.

Clearly the arms situation needs to be addressed. While I understand how the rain and extra inning games wreaked a bit of havoc with the pitching availability, it didn't seem to affect the Rangers nearly as much. Perhaps some of this is accomplished in house with a season's worth of maturity for some of our prospects, but currently the bullpen is stocked with mostly short inning guys.

3B seems like it could be a unique opportunity. Leyland had talked about using Cabrera at 3B in the World Series had they gotten that far. Avila was used there for a short stint in a game at Colorado but had previously played there in college. I wonder if there is a way to get Avila's legs some rest dring the regular season by using him at 3B, or using Cabrera at 3B with Martinez at 1B and Avila as DH? I think the latter would be the better way to handle it during the regular season, but at the same time, a contingency plan needs to be in place should they make it to the World Series. I think Inge needs to be reduced to platoon and/or utility.

Here is a short list of people I hope are not in the Tigers organization come the start of next season.

Brad Penny

Delmon Young

Rick Porcello

David Pauley

Gene Lamont

Loyd McLendon

Why Porcello? He's decent, still got a good amount of upside, and he's cheaper than signing someone from the FA market to fill his 4th starter role.

You're making this statement by using too small of a sample size and not bothering to factor in the fact that Boesch was swinging with a torn ligament in his thumb. You don't stop for two seconds and consider that that may have hampered his hitting ability in the 2nd half? He also played every day for the first half and did just fine. It is far too inaccurate to say that he can't be a productive everyday player at this point.

Was he hurt in 2010? Small sample size? 350 at bats is a small sample size? He is a career .182 hitter in the 2nd half. .321 in the first half

Brad Penny

Delmon Young

Rick Porcello

David Pauley

Gene Lamont

Loyd McLendon

All Lloyd McClendon do was lead the Tigers to a top 5 finish in runs, BA, and OBP and turn around the careers of Boesch, Peralta, and Avila.