Yoda

The 2011 Offseason!!

Well at least there has been a Tiger signing to break the monotony.....

No kidding. This offseason is taking forever.

It's really hard to figure out how Oswalt wouldn't be we'll worth the money he's supposedly looking for for this team. But I have no idea...maybe he just doesn't want to play for Detroit. And the more I think about it, the more I think we should re-sign Betemit to platoon with Inge. Its reasonable to get a .775 OPS out of that platoon.

I think this team is strong the way it is, and I don't think we should trade Turner, but there are now a few ways we can improve for a relatively low risk/cost.

No kidding. This offseason is taking forever.

It's really hard to figure out how Oswalt wouldn't be we'll worth the money he's supposedly looking for for this team. But I have no idea...maybe he just doesn't want to play for Detroit. And the more I think about it, the more I think we should re-sign Betemit to platoon with Inge. Its reasonable to get a .775 OPS out of that platoon.

I think this team is strong the way it is, and I don't think we should trade Turner, but there are now a few ways we can improve for a relatively low risk/cost.

Totally agree with this Coug.

Twin sign Joel Zumaya, former Tigers reliever, report says - TwinCities.com

yuck

"Hard-throwing but often-injured Detroit Tigers reliever Joel Zumaya is joining the Twins, the Detroit News reported Sunday.

The report said Zumaya told MLB.com that he and the team have agreed to a one-year deal.

"That's where I'm going to be," the 27-year-old right-hander said. "I'm going to be seeing Detroit a lot." "

They can have him. He hasn't done anything since 2006 and never will again.

Hi pitched 40 innings in 2010 and had 2.58 ERA...

"incentives for appearances or starts" I wonder, does that mean the team still views him as a possible starter? Or is that just something his agent wanted to put in there? Who knows.

It could be a means for Coke to give the Tigers a disincentive to pull him between the 'pen and the rotation. But I would agree that its probably just boilerplate.

It could be a means for Coke to give the Tigers a disincentive to pull him between the 'pen and the rotation. But I would agree that its probably just boilerplate.

It's 50K. I don't think it's going to effect any decisions.

Players Avoiding Arbitration: Monday: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

•The Tigers announced they've avoided arbitration with lefty Phil Coke. Coke, a client of Full Circle Sports Management, gets a $1.1MM base salary with $50K in incentives for appearances or starts, MLBTR has learned.

Something happened! This should be worth about 10,000 posts alone.

Something happened! This should be worth about 10,000 posts alone.

What do you think happened? Personally, I don't think they're going to put Coke back in the rotation, but the wording does interest me.

What do you think happened? Personally, I don't think they're going to put Coke back in the rotation, but the wording does interest me.

Not to speak for sabretooth but, I think the operative words were "something happened". As in finally something.

Not to speak for sabretooth but, I think the operative words were "something happened". As in finally something.

Oh. Asperger's moment. :cheeky:

As a fan, this has been an awfully boring offseason, but probably a necessary one. We bring back a very good team in the middle of a very mediocre-bad division. I think we're better served waiting for some bargains closer to Spring Training that represent team-friendly terms. And if not, let's identify weaknesses during the season and fix at the deadline, as we did successfully via Fister and Young.

Probably had something to do with Verlander throwing 80 more innings.

Verlander had a FB% of 42.1% while Pineda had one of 44.8%.

I thought that went without saying that I was referring to % of fly balls and not actual fly balls, given the innings difference. I was using the forecaster as quick reference regarding that %. 2nd half numbers show Verlander at 42% vs 38 % for Pineda, either way..par factor still says Pineda will suffer more from the fly balls than Verlander and I wasn't trying to imply Pineda is a better pitcher than Verlander, just that Pinedas fly ball tendencies were a bit exaggerated.

Edited by poolagoo

As a fan, this has been an awfully boring offseason, but probably a necessary one. We bring back a very good team in the middle of a very mediocre-bad division. I think we're better served waiting for some bargains closer to Spring Training that represent team-friendly terms. And if not, let's identify weaknesses during the season and fix at the deadline, as we did successfully via Fister and Young.
Welcome to the loony bin er I mean MTS!

Agree with you on Oswalt.

Betemit is a little trickier with the spots available on the roster. Since they're going to go with 12 Ps, and Laird has been added as the backup C, which Martinez had sort of filled last season, bench spots are at a premium. As it stands, if I'm remembering everybody correctly, there are likely 12 position players spoken for right now. And this is not including someone like Dirks, who probably would start out in Toledo and be the first OF plucked from the minors.

C: Avila, Laird

IF: Cabrera, Santiago, Inge, Peralta

OF: Young, Jackson, Boesch

DH: Martinez

IF/OF: Raburn, Kelly

So, I guess there probably is room for Betemit. His bat would likely be helpful, and hopefully his glove/arm have a career season. Ideally Young gets moved and someone better takes over in LF and can fill the leadoff spot.

Put me among the people that would not mind seeing an upgrade at thiiird....unfortunately, according to CBSSports, Betimit is the best available free agent thiiird basemen.

So I am resigning myself to a possible filler 5th starter pitcher type player to be added with not much more. I am guessing they will just bring up a couple guys from AAA in the middle of the year to fill any holes we end up having.

I am still siked and think we have a good team coming back next year. Especially with Boesch hopefully being healthy and having Fister for a full year.