Yoda

The 2011 Offseason!!

It was reported at least a week ago that he officially established residency in the DR already. What gives?

It was reported at least a week ago that he officially established residency in the DR already. What gives?

I was thinking similar, but I don't know if I ever saw anything concrete. Just speculation that it was happening, or happening any day, or something like that. I guess at least what I read was mistaken.

I was thinking similar, but I don't know if I ever saw anything concrete. Just speculation that it was happening, or happening any day, or something like that. I guess at least what I read was mistaken.

From the other Cespedes thread on 12-19-11...

Olney tweet: What good friend @Enrique_Rojas1 is reporting: Cespedes has established residency in D.R., and the bidding can begin soon.

From the other Cespedes thread on 12-19-11...

Huh. My bad. It seems like it was mistaken, though.

I was surprised too as I thought residency had been established and the only hold-up was a VISA or something that would allow him to actually work in the United States. Either way, the timeline just keeps getting pushed closer and closer to reporting date. Also, he writes 4 years and 32 mil but another report from some journalist is Miami said that the Marlins would likely lose interest if it went beyond $60 mil.......not sure how many years involved in that $60 mil.

Maybe he's waiting for someone to pick up the broadcasting rights and televise his decision?

From Trade Rumors (Olney) this morning:

FWIW:

Baseball officials as well as some in the union are under the assumption that the playoff field will be increased to ten teams in 2012. Playoff expansion will happen in 2013, but the new collective bargaining agreement gives the league the option of putting it in play this year.

Nothing terribly new here, just that the Tigers seem set with Raburn and Santiago at 2b. They still like Prado a lot but can't seem to make a trade work.

Detroit Tigers appear to be set at second base | tigers.com: News

Well, they probably don't want to trade Delmon if they're not certain that Cespedes is going to be a Tiger. Most of the backup options are off the board.

I just thought I'd throw this out there... I went into the 2012 FA List and found that there are some cheap options that I would like the Tigers to consider signing. My main focus was SP and 3B, but I threw in a few others in the case that we trade somebody in the next month or so.

SP Bartolo Colon - he is going to want a raise, so not my #1 choice... but I see him as a good #5 with his comeback last year

SP Jon Garland - I always liked this guy as a #4 starter, but he needs to stay healthy... is in his prime years and I see a bounce back coming from him next year

DH Vladimir Guerrero - if we somehow end up needing a DH, I want this guy... or else pass on him (51 HRs away from 500 could sell tickets if he explodes on a 2 year deal)

SP Livan Hernandez - wouldn't cost much to get, eats a lot of innings, decent playoff track record (7-3 w/ ~4.00 ERA)

2B Aaron Miles - he is gonna be cheap (500K in 2011) and could be a useful platoon guy

SP Kevin Millwood - I think the price will be Penny like but the track record is better

SP Joe Saunders - eats up alot of innings and is a bottom of rotation guy... I say he goes cheap on a 1 year deal

DH Luke Scott - he needs to come on for cheap, but he always killed us and I don't want to see him doing that for MIN/CLE/KC

2B Ryan Theriot - I think he has the ability to be our starting 2B, might be a little pricy

SS Omar Vizquel - a nice, cheap defensive player... 159 hits away from 3K would sell tickets if he gets close enough

RP Joel Zumaya - get him on a NRI and see if he doesn't hurt himself again

Thoughts? Comments? Agree? Disagree?

I'd love to have Colon and Zumaya, ideally Zumaya on a minor league deal of course. I'd throw 2-3 mil plus incentives at Colon. He can give us probably 100 IP of better than Penny level pitching until a prospect is ready.

If he signs for any where near 4/32 it sure as hell better be us that signs him. I'd rather go more years to be honest. At this point, the money is going to be close enough that we should take advantage of the ability to control him for a long time potentially.

I just thought I'd throw this out there... I went into the 2012 FA List and found that there are some cheap options that I would like the Tigers to consider signing. My main focus was SP and 3B, but I threw in a few others in the case that we trade somebody in the next month or so.

SP Bartolo Colon - he is going to want a raise, so not my #1 choice... but I see him as a good #5 with his comeback last year

SP Jon Garland - I always liked this guy as a #4 starter, but he needs to stay healthy... is in his prime years and I see a bounce back coming from him next year

DH Vladimir Guerrero - if we somehow end up needing a DH, I want this guy... or else pass on him (51 HRs away from 500 could sell tickets if he explodes on a 2 year deal)

SP Livan Hernandez - wouldn't cost much to get, eats a lot of innings, decent playoff track record (7-3 w/ ~4.00 ERA)

2B Aaron Miles - he is gonna be cheap (500K in 2011) and could be a useful platoon guy

SP Kevin Millwood - I think the price will be Penny like but the track record is better

SP Joe Saunders - eats up alot of innings and is a bottom of rotation guy... I say he goes cheap on a 1 year deal

DH Luke Scott - he needs to come on for cheap, but he always killed us and I don't want to see him doing that for MIN/CLE/KC

2B Ryan Theriot - I think he has the ability to be our starting 2B, might be a little pricy

SS Omar Vizquel - a nice, cheap defensive player... 159 hits away from 3K would sell tickets if he gets close enough

Holy ****. That is a bunch of garbage. I don't like any of them.....even at $1 million a year. Well.....maybe Garland or Saunders....

omar's friends and family will get comp tickets.

Haven't looked through this thread in awhile so I'm not sure if it's been discussed, but on MLB Network they were going over which divisions have gotten worse and which have gotten better this offseason. They said that the AL Central is now the worst division in all of baseball after this offseason. They said that all of the teams have gotten worse except for the Tigers, who are starting to separate themselves from the rest of the pack. That made me hold my head a little higher.

I like Colon. He fits the profile of what DD claims he's looking for. A decent, low-cost back of the rotation option to man the 5 spot until one of the rookies is ready. If he stays healthy, he can be moved to the BP.

Haven't looked through this thread in awhile so I'm not sure if it's been discussed, but on MLB Network they were going over which divisions have gotten worse and which have gotten better this offseason. They said that the AL Central is now the worst division in all of baseball after this offseason. They said that all of the teams have gotten worse except for the Tigers, who are starting to separate themselves from the rest of the pack. That made me hold my head a little higher.

Other than the White Sox, I'd have a hard time saying anyone in the division is definitively worse than last year.

I'd love to have Colon and Zumaya, ideally Zumaya on a minor league deal of course. I'd throw 2-3 mil plus incentives at Colon. He can give us probably 100 IP of better than Penny level pitching until a prospect is ready.
First of all that is where I was going with Zumaya when I said NRI. As much as I would love Colon, I think he's going to seek a multi-year deal and the Tigers won't give that to him right now.
Holy ****. That is a bunch of garbage. I don't like any of them.....even at $1 million a year. Well.....maybe Garland or Saunders....
I would argue that a few of the guys I mentioned will be $1M<, but it is January. The best of the best is already gone man.
Omar's friends and family will get comp tickets.
I was hoping that there wouldn't be many of those around. :P
I'd offer Zumaya an invite.
That's what NRI stands for, Non Roster Invitee
I like Colon. He fits the profile of what DD claims he's looking for. A decent, low-cost back of the rotation option to man the 5 spot until one of the rookies is ready. If he stays healthy, he can be moved to the BP.
That's what I was thinking, but will he go for a cheap 1 year deal again or be overpriced still? That's why he wouldn't be my #1 cheap choice, but he still made my list.

We have no need for a DH at all, so its kind of pointless to mention Scott and Guerrero, and there's a good chance our Santiaburn platoon will be better than the existing options at 2B. But I'd take a flier on any of those SPs.

I think guys' prices will come down as we get closer to spring training and they start worrying about getting a ML invite. A lot of contending teams pretty much have a full rotation already. Texas, both LA teams, Florida, Washington, Philly, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Tampa, Atlanta, and possibly Arizona and Cincinatti arguably have full rotations already. I could see us, the Yankees, Red Sox, and possibly the Blue Jays and Royals adding another starter. Other non-contending teams might add one as well, but they are unlikely to drive the price up with their bidding. But that makes only five or six teams out there looking for a starter...half of which are not big spenders to begin with. There's more than six decent 5th starter candidates out there, so I think a good deal will come our way eventually.

In terms of filling starting position openings, with the possible exception of Saunders, these moves are the kind teams out of contention make. I think we need a SP who could perform at the level of a #3 for at least 25 starts a year, to help cover for potential down years from both Scherzer and Porcello.

As I see the AL Central shaping up for 2012, I become even more convinced that the Tigers will not make any substantial 25-man-roster moves coming into 2012. The Twins continue to be terrible; the White Sox are in full blown rebuilding mode; the Indians are "scuffling" (thanks, Harold). The Royals are a wild card because great young players could put it together at any time, and they have a bunch of them. But I don't think the Tigers can or should defend against that this year, so under the assumption that the Royals are still a sub-85 win team, this division is the Tigers' to lose. I believe our thinking is, we won 95 games last year and nobody is really close to us -- why turn our roster inside out to win the division by 20 games instead of 10?

I think the Tigers are more likely to play the team they have to start with, then make moves on by the deadline to shore up weaknesses or underperformance they've identified during the season, in order to better compete in the playoffs -- or to stave off surprise challenges by division rivals.

In terms of filling starting position openings, with the possible exception of Saunders, these moves are the kind teams out of contention make. I think we need a SP who could perform at the level of a #3 for at least 25 starts a year, to help cover for potential down years from both Scherzer and Porcello.

The Yankee haven't done it yet...

Without even knowing who our number 5 is...we already have a better rotation starting the season than 2011...ESPN rated it as 7th best in baseball

No way on COLON. The guy is done! He might have won a few games last year, but he's always hurt etc. They need a left handed pitcher for the #5 spot.

Other than the White Sox, I'd have a hard time saying anyone in the division is definitively worse than last year.
Maybe not worse, but so far it doesn't appear that any teams have gotten better or made any sort of improvements.