Motor City Sonics

The dumbest Tim McCarver saying yet?

He didn't muddle every open second with some sort of lecture of baseball strategy. I want to watch the game with an occasional comment, not be bogged down by conversation that may or may not be over my head but is certainly cumbersome. I'm watching to enjoy my team - not wonder why on a throw from right field the catcher's vision is hampered. Everything has to be something with him. Just shut up.

This is one of the things that I liked about Gibby and dislike about Rod Allen. Gibby, despite his annoying voice, told you about the nuances of the game without it sounding preachy. He played the game at the highest level for a long time and with the intensity of a straight-A student.

McCarver sounds like that stuffy teacher that no one could stand. Rod Allen doesn't seem to grasp a lot of the nuances of the game and, while offering minimal analysis, doesn't seem to do much homework beyond what can get him through the first couple of innings. Lee has referred to this as "woefully unprepared" in the past and I refer back to that often.

I guess I'm a bit different than most. I think Rod Allen is okay. He's not the world's greatest, but I'd rather have him than someone like McCarver. Honestly, what I like is hearing two people shoot the breeze for good chunks of the game while telling us what is happening during the contest. I like when ex-players talk about "And man, did he have a great curveball," especially if it isn't one of the two people we already know had a great curveball.

I like the occasional "break down" but keep them to a minimal number. There are times it's demanded. Again, I'll go back to when Harrelson and Paciorek did games together for the White Sox. The game could be 11-1 or you could have little interest in the White Sox (like I did many of the broadcasts I watched when I lived in Illinois), but they'd talk about stuff like this. If they were playing the Orioles, you knew you'd hear stories about traditional guys like Brooks Robinson, Jim Palmer and Eddie Murray, but there was a decent chance a guy like Jim Dwyer may make some of their conversation. I really enjoyed listening to them just talk baseball and its history. They knew the teams well because they either watched or played against those teams for 20+ years. But at the same time, they'd bring up baseball strategy as well.

I don't feel like Rod Allen is unprepared. I don't see a reason for a guy to know on top of his head that this guy is batting .234 against lefties on your staff for the last five years. He brings up strategy. He brings up data occasionally. He'll bring up stories about past players. What hurts both of them is that while they have a working relationship, I don't know if Rod or Mario would hang with each other if it wasn't up to their jobs. They don't come across as hating each other, but not good friends that enjoy just talking to each other like Harrelson and Paciorek did. Maybe they do hang as good friends, I don't know. It doesn't come across that way though.

Allen is fine.

This has been swirling around for awhile. The general consensus I've seen from people is that he really dislikes baseball, and is only doing it because he's locked into it with fox and that his dad did it. Everyone knows he's unhappy but Fox doesn't seem to care. I even remember at the Allstar game this year they had Justin Timberlake doing an on-air interview with Joe Buck and Timberlake kept goofin on Joe saying "You're calling a real good game, Joe" "Keep it up, Joe" and other such things.

Problem is he's just as boring and uninteresting when it comes to football.

Problem is he's just as boring and uninteresting when it comes to football.

I am not a Joe Buck fan or appologist and I agree he sounds bored for football as well...I keep going back to that play with Eli Manning in the Superbowl where it was thiiird and forever, Eli breaks a couple tackles throws the ball down field and the receiver caught it off his head to keep the winning drive going. He sounded asleep during that call....., but:

I would rather him than quite a few. I kind of like him BECAUSE he doesn't care who wins. Most of the time during these national games you can tell which team a commentator wants to win the game. Just look back at the NY series. The one call that will stick out forever in my mind was the grand slam HR from Cano. The play by play guy sounded giddy with excitement stating 'The only question is how far it goes!' He didn't close to that excitement level for any Detroit HR.

You can tell it in other series also, not just Detroit. Give me a boring no frills Joe Buck over some DB who secretely wants Texas to win .....you can tell it in the way they call the game. It grinds at me the whole game. It got soo bad in that NY series I turned the volume off and listened to the local radio broacast even though it was not synced and about 10 seconds behind the telecast.

Yeah, I think most national announcers are not very good, I would generally rather have someone who gets excited too much than not enough, but I can definitely see why people would prefer it the other way around

Yeah, I think most national announcers are not very good, I would generally rather have someone who gets excited too much than not enough, but I can definitely see why people would prefer it the other way around

I agree with you. We seem to be going through a period where a number of the national announcers are not very good. I like to hear Vin Scully call a game. I think when he works on the TV, his matter of fact sytle is comfortable, and he does bring up the rights topics that fit the action.

Surprizingly (to me anyway) has been the quality that AJ has put forth as an analyst . Now there is someone who has a future.

At least we don't have to listen to Darling and Smoltz.

Edited by HeyAbbott
Spelling

Would love to see Gus Johnson announce baseball.

Surprizingly (to me anyway) has been the quality that AJ has put forth as an analyst . Now there is someone who has a future.

I agree, I actually liked AJ, never thought I would say that. I didn't mind Tito either.

Favorite McCarver quote this series;

"There's no way Brandon Inge pulls the ball off of Ogando."

Then Brandon hits one into the Tigers pen.

To be fair he said it would be unusual for him to pull it

Is it just me or has AJ Pierzynski seemed a little a**-kissy with the Tigers? AL Central solidarity?

He seems to be pretty sincere. Can't really tell his motives.

He seems to be pretty sincere. Can't really tell his motives.

Oh, I definitely think he means it. I guess the level of his praise and/or admiration for the Tigers is a little surprising to me.

After the first couple ALDS games I have stuck with my promise to listen to Dan and Jim on the radio. It was ok during the ALDS because the sound matched the picture but now there is a delay. I don't care though. When I saw there was a delay I put the sound on for the first few batters and I remembered how much I hate Joe Buck even though I agree that Francona seemed ok from the short time I listened to him.

The delay is annoying it's nowhere near as annoying as listening to Joe Buck and Tim McCarver. One sounds dead and the other one is a know it all who won't shut up. Dan Dickerson is a worthy replacement for Ernie and even though Price isn't the best announcer in the world he is a decent color man and that's all he's doing in the postseason. Hopefully I will get to hear them call a World Series win. That would be a lot sweeter than hearing Buck's say "and the Tigers are world champions" in that boring voice.

When Francona didn't stop to think about how he was supposed to act or worry about being a broadcaster, he was great. When he just gave a natural reaction to what was happening, & how he would respond in a given situation he was great. When they would do a live shot in the booth he seemed completely out of sorts, like he was out of his element.

Tim McCarver tries to make too many analogies & tries to be too cute. If he would just give analysis, he wouldn't be nearly as bad. I'm beginning to wonder if he doesn't sound so bad because he's trying to wake Joe Buck up a little bit. Joe's dad loved baseball - & it came thru in his call of the game. If FOX wants to broadcast baseball, they should at least do us the favor of giving us an announcer who actually likes the sport. Can you say Jon Miller? Or Bob Ueker?

Oh, & as bored as Joe Buck sounds - He's better than Chris Rose.

When Francona didn't stop to think about how he was supposed to act or worry about being a broadcaster, he was great. When he just gave a natural reaction to what was happening, & how he would respond in a given situation he was great. When they would do a live shot in the booth he seemed completely out of sorts, like he was out of his element.

Tim McCarver tries to make too many analogies & tries to be too cute. If he would just give analysis, he wouldn't be nearly as bad. I'm beginning to wonder if he doesn't sound so bad because he's trying to wake Joe Buck up a little bit. Joe's dad loved baseball - & it came thru in his call of the game. If FOX wants to broadcast baseball, they should at least do us the favor of giving us an announcer who actually likes the sport. Can you say Jon Miller? Or Bob Ueker?

Oh, & as bored as Joe Buck sounds - He's better than Chris Rose.

The problem with McCarver is that he basically lazy when it come to team research-always has been. It's all 'conventional wisdom' with Tim, and when you hear him try to broadcast a team you actually know a lot about, you quickly realize he is just making it up and has no real clue about the players on the field past maybe NY and Bos and other media favorites.

I suppose it's tough for the national guys to keep up, but that is why they pay them the big bucks. It happens even to the best of them. For example, I like Hirsheizer in general, but in one game this year he started off on how Scherzer's problems are all about how he is at such a deficit pitching from the stretch based on what he thought he saw in his leg positioning. Problem is that the issue only existed in Orel's mind - he was flat out wrong. Max actually pitches just fine from the stretch - the numbers show his BAA is just about the same.

Edited by Gehringer_2

Isn't this the first time Joe Buck and Tim McCarver have done a Tiger game since 2006?

Every time they are on the Saturday game they get the 2nd tier guys.

The problem with McCarver is that he basically lazy when it come to team research-always has been. It's all 'conventional wisdom' with Tim, and when you hear him try to broadcast a team you actually know a lot about, you quickly realize he is just making it up and has no real clue about the players on the field past maybe NY and Bos and other media favorites.

That's the problem I have with most national TV analysts. They don't research the team they are covering. They do OK when they are discussing general baseball strategy or mechanics. They are generally weak when they they are talking about the players. That's why guys like Francona and Pierzynski have been pretty good. They played/managed this year and are knowledgeable about current players on all AL teams.

That's the problem I have with most national TV analysts. They don't research the team they are covering. They do OK when they are discussing general baseball strategy or mechanics. They are generally weak when they they are talking about the players. That's why guys like Francona and Pierzynski have been pretty good. They played/managed this year and are knowledgeable about current players on all AL teams.

It'd take 20 minutes to do some research. Why don't they have interns that do that type of stuff for them? Kinda weird.

"Baseball is a game of oblique angles and oblique injuries"

I dunno... Didn't he also say that Santiago would be an everyday second baseball if he could only run?

I dunno... Didn't he also say that Santiago would be an everyday second baseball if he could only run?

He did, but he was actually quoting Leyland.

Spot on. I have to say I was surprised at AJ. None of the obnoxiousness he carries on the field was evident in his broadcast persona. Maybe the 'real' guy away from the field isn't such a jerk....:ponder:

It'd take 20 minutes to do some research. Why don't they have interns that do that type of stuff for them? Kinda weird.

At worst, they could have a laptop in front of them to look up stuff. Wouldn't take away from the broadcast at all IMO.

From the looks of him(sort of feeble)and the content of what he says, McCarver is becoming senile. Sad business, IMO.