Sign in to follow this  
lesgoblu02

Bob Mackenzie speculating on realignment

Please Please Please put us in the east

Please give us a home-and-home with every team in the league. Good for the Wings, good for the league. I do understand that putting the Wings in the East and ensuring that there is a home-and-home with every team aren't mutually exclusive.

CBC expects something slightly different, which would be expected to anger the Penguins. This is a screenshot from HNIC on Saturday:

nhl_realignment_could_result_in_four_divisions_angry_penguins.jpg

This would put the Wings in what at the start would be the toughest division. 3 of the 4 last Cup champs, one of sports winningest franchises ever, the up-and-coming Leafs and one of the stronger small-market teams in Buffalo.

If Paul Allen buys the Panthers and puts them in Portland next year then we have no debate between Detroit and Columbus as both can go over. That's easy to me!

Neat chart below. I still think the 1974-1981 Norris setup was the weirdest in NHL history: Habs, Wings, Kings, Pens and either Caps or Whalers. How did they come up with that?

The chart also illustrates how the Blues and the Hawks are the two historical rivals of the Wings, IMO. Have been in the same division for 30 years now, which is actually longer than the 25-year Original Six era. 7 playoff series versus the Blues and 6 playoff series versus the Hawks during that period. The Wings haven't played a playoff series against the Bruns in over 50 years, or in over 60 years for the Rangers. Only one playoff series against the Habs in the past 45 years. The Leafs are the only other Original Six team that can be considered a Wings rival.

an_illustrated_guide_to_nhl_realignment_history.gif

Just seeing that Winged Wheel in the Southeast next to Florida, Carolina and Tampa Bay on an updated chart makes me a bit unexcited about a potential change.

If Paul Allen buys the Panthers and puts them in Portland next year then we have no debate between Detroit and Columbus as both can go over. That's easy to me!

Didn't the Panthers just move into a new arena?

Didn't the Panthers just move into a new arena?

What's the difference if your putting 4,000 people in a new arena versus an old one? If you're losing money, you're losing money.

Damn you, NHLPA. This better just be a postponement not a cancellation.

NHL delays realignment plan, modified playoffs format - ESPN

Freakin' "travel concerns" and "disparity over chances of making playoffs". BS, this is the NHLPA trying to disagree for the sake of disagreeing and so they're treated with respect. What the f does this mean about the CBA negotiation.

This is really a bombshell. Declaration of war by Fehr.

Edited by lordstanley

I for one am happy about it. It was crappy for the league and crappy for the players. The players deserve some say after the last couple CBAs. As a fan, I hated that realignment.

It's Donald Fehr. I hate that man. I blame him for being almost solely responsible for two major baseball strikes, a World Series being cancelled and the steroid era lasting as long as it did.

Poor poor players get shuttled around in team planes, getting more money on their per diem than most of us spend in food in a week. The Wings travel more than any other team and they have won 4 cups in 14 years.

Not that the alignment proposal got me all excited, but Don Fehr just has to f everything up. Don't make me feel sorry for the players because they have to travel........ this is just him flexing his muscles once again.

If this gets so out of hand that Fehr leads the players to strike I am going to be livid!!! This is the kind of starting point that could lead to something that sends any progress the league has made since the lockout and as well with their partnership in the United States with NBC spiraling downward quickly.

I think people are over-reacting. I think there is a zero percent chance there will be any type of lockout or strike. The realignment was a poor idea, two 7 division conferences and two 8 team conferences? Come on, that is amateur hour, just like the NL central having 6 teams and the AL west 4 teams, I am glad MLB fixed that.

I think people are over-reacting. I think there is a zero percent chance there will be any type of lockout or strike. The realignment was a poor idea, two 7 division conferences and two 8 team conferences? Come on, that is amateur hour, just like the NL central having 6 teams and the AL west 4 teams, I am glad MLB fixed that.

What they need to do is have two 15 team conferences. That's it. No divisions. When Phoenix moves to Quebec that will be the team that moves east......If that doesn't happen, it will be Columbus. Top 8 teams get in from each conference. Play your conference teams 4 times and play the other conference teams 1 or 2 times. This schedule will be FAR more balanced than playing the same 4 teams. Every team in the conference will basically have the same schedule.

8 & 7 is nowhere close to the same as 6 & 4. I'd argue the large division sizes makes it more fair - even with the 8&7 imbalance - than MLB with its unbalanced schedule where a division like the AL East is stacked. Or the NFL, as with only tiny 4-team micro-divisions you can have 7-9 or 8-8 teams making the playoffs and seeded above teams that go 11-5 for example.

I have no sympathy for teams that miss out on the playoffs because they can't finish in the top 4 of an 8-team division.

The realignment plan was approved by owners 26-4, received overwhelmingly positive media reaction, and anecdotaly I'd say the majority of fans were either in favor of it or neutral (only a few hardcore hockey fans of certain teams were against it, I'd estimate less than 10% of hockey fans).

Travel was reduced under the realignment so I call b.s. on the claim that a majority of players were against it. Maybe some players and some teams were, but not more than half.

This is the NHLPA wanting to muck things up, and while there may not be a strike (albeit higher chance than we all thought a day ago), they have already created real damage by derailing this plan for at least one season.

Here is what I think happened when the players met...

"Guys, this is a fine proposal. I have no problems with it, I'm sure you don't either. But we have a CBA due to expire pretty soon, and we will need to have some concessions... So we will wait on this for one year and let it be something we 'allow' as a way to give a little, take a little in negotiations."

It's greed, pure and simple.

I'm more and more certain this is just a bargaining play. First, Fehr is involved. Second, the last article I read had quotes from Kronwall and Zetterburg speaking against it because they didn't have details. Those two should be the first to speak in favor of it with the decrease in travel for them. Their quotes sounded like the party line to me.

I'm more and more certain this is just a bargaining play. First, Fehr is involved. Second, the last article I read had quotes from Kronwall and Zetterburg speaking against it because they didn't have details. Those two should be the first to speak in favor of it with the decrease in travel for them. Their quotes sounded like the party line to me.

Right. Lidstrom's bland comments on HNIC last night said it all. I have very little doubt that this exact realignment plan will be enacted at some point.But I'm bummed that: a) this will probably delay it a year, needlessly, which sucks because once you reach a decision and announce it you should implement it; and b) this is Fehr being Fehr, which means labor talks this year could be more like the NBA's than the NFL's.

Here is what I think happened when the players met...

"Guys, this is a fine proposal. I have no problems with it, I'm sure you don't either. But we have a CBA due to expire pretty soon, and we will need to have some concessions... So we will wait on this for one year and let it be something we 'allow' as a way to give a little, take a little in negotiations."

It's greed, pure and simple.

If that truly works, and it was always their intention, then the NHLPA is brilliant.