Sign in to follow this  
lesgoblu02

Bob Mackenzie speculating on realignment

I'm at work, so twitter links will have to come later when I get home, but last night Bob Mac was tweeting that it's a very good possibility that the Wings will swap divisions with Winnipeg next season. Detroit would go to the SE and Winnipeg would go to the Central. Mentioned a vote by the BOG in December.

Thoughts?

I would rather stay in the Western Conference than watch them go to the Southeast. Carolina, Florida, Tampa Bay, Washington, Detroit? **** that.

I really want to go east. Only problem I have is that TB is in our division if this happens. When Stevie Y took job there I was happy because I could care less about TB, so I can cheer for them as a 2nd team. But if they are in our division I might have to start hating them.

I would rather stay in the Western Conference than watch them go to the Southeast. Carolina, Florida, Tampa Bay, Washington, Detroit? **** that.

As compared to St. Louis, Nashville, Columbus and Chicago?

Yeah, Chicago is fun to play a bunch, but the rest is a bunch of hot garbage. I'd love to see more Ovechkin. I'd like to see Tampa Bay more than any existing Central team other than Chicago. Plus more Toronto, Boston, NYR, Montreal, Pittsburgh...

The worst part of this if it comes to pass, in my opinion, is I will lose yet another bet to T&P Fan, and I am already on the hook for a World Series ticket should the Tigers make it.

Yeah, Chicago is fun to play a bunch, but the rest is a bunch of hot garbage. I'd love to see more Ovechkin. I'd like to see Tampa Bay more than any existing Central team other than Chicago. Plus more Toronto, Boston, NYR, Montreal, Pittsburgh...

Couldn't have said it any better. And I'd like to add that Florida has the #1 prospect pool in the NHL, so they should be an up and coming team in the next couple of years.

I know that we're stuck with two non-hockey markets in Nashville and Columbus but I don't want to trade playing Chicago for a division who could literally in 10 years time lose two of its teams to contraction/movement. What happens to us in three years when the Panthers completely collapse as a franchise?

Yuck. The SE is the last division I'd want the Wings to be in. Now we have Original Six rival Chicago, the Blues which are in a great hockey market and had some excellent playoff series vs the Wings in the '80s and '90s, Columbus which is just around the corner from Detroit, and Nashville which is a wash with Carolina. In exchange, we'd get 4 non-traditional hockey markets and the intra-division travel for the Wings would be more than it is now.

And the Wings don't need to move East to get more Rangers, Habs, Leafs, Bruins and Pens - the NHL could with one easy decision balance the non-divisional play.

Edited by lordstanley

I would gladly trade no more 10 o'clock playoff starts for our "rivalry" with Chicago. It was fabricated anyway by people from Chicago who think one good year makes them equals to Detroit. Would also mean more games against Pittsburgh, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, and other teams that the Wings could form non-division rivalry with (like we did with the Avs). Florida and Carolina are like Nashville and Columbus, not much there. Tampa is an up and coming team with a Detroit connection in Yzerman, and I think Washington could turn into a rival, with two great teams in the same division.

The Detroit/Chicago rivalry was red hot in the late 80's....I can still hear Mickey Redmond saying "Probert decks Nylund" during one of the many brawls Probie had with the Hawks

The worst part of this if it comes to pass, in my opinion, is I will lose yet another bet to T&P Fan, and I am already on the hook for a World Series ticket should the Tigers make it.

hehe. Don't worry biggs, losing streaks happen.

We will see how it shakes out, but I will be very surprised if the Wings aren't in the East next year, although I expected a little more shake up then just a two team swap.

Why would Detroit go to the Southeast? Geographically it makes no sense since you could swap Columbus or Nashville. I'm not sure the NHL is going to be quick to move the Red Wings to the east. The east is loaded with teams that travel well. Detroit is one of the few teams in the west that travel well.

Datsyuk interviewed by Yahoo's Puck Daddy, posted today. Worth reading the entire interview, Pavel is a funny guy.

The discussions about the Red Wings switching conferences are continuing.

"On one hand, of course it would be great because we would reduce the number of miles we fly considerably. It would be interesting to try ourselves in a different conference. But until the chickens are hatched we can't really count them. So, people can discuss whatever they want. But nothing is certain at this point. I just hope we won't be realigned to the KHL."

Puck Daddy chats with Pavel Datsyuk about Red Wings, realignment, working at Tim Horton’s and Halloween - Puck Daddy - NHL*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Here are a few ideas I had. One involving the two conference setup, geographically eliminating the east and west barriers while retaining conferences and taking teams from everywhere. These teams would then be placed into geographic divisions The final idea involving a bunch of divisions based off of four teams (ala the NFL) but with no conferences.

Idea #1: Geographic-less conferences with divisions

Prince of Whales Conference-

Eastern Division-

Carolina

Detroit

NY Islanders

NY Rangers

Ottawa

Philadelphia

Tampa Bay

Toronto

Western Division-

Anaheim

Chicago

Colorado

Dallas

Minnesota

St. Louis

Winnipeg

Clarence Campbell Conference-

Eastern Division-

Boston

Buffalo

Columbus

Florida

Montreal

Pittsburgh

New Jersey

Washington

Western Division-

Calgary

Edmonton

Los Angeles

Nashville

Phoenix

San Jose

Vancouver

Idea #2: Multi-Division setup with no conferences-

Atlantic-

Columbus

NY Rangers

New Jersey

Philadelphia

Central-

Chicago

Detroit

Ottawa

Toronto

Midwest-

Dallas

Minnesota

Nashville

St. Louis

Winnipeg

Northeast-

Boston

Buffalo

NY Islanders

Montreal

Northwest-

Calgary

Colorado

Edmonton

Vancouver

Pacific-

Anaheim

Los Angeles

Phoenix

San Jose

Southeast-

Carolina

Florida

Pittsburgh

Tampa Bay

Washington

I tried with my secind idea there to ensure that every division has an anchor team or teams that are solid, good drawing hockey markets; markets that draw not only at home but can draw a crowd on the road as well. The playoff structure for my conference-less division format would be the 7 division winners plus nine wildcards going at it in the playoffs. Rankings would be determined based off of wins/losses.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

I really like your 1st suggestion. Instead of having all of the late game teams in one conference, put one division in each conference. Plus all divisions have a pretty good draw or rivalry in each.

Sounds like December 5 is the big day. The National Post takes a guess. Apparently this is the alignment Bettman is supporting, although Bettman hasn't made up his mind whether he prefers Columbus or Detroit in that sweet East Division spot. Keep in mind that the decision won't be Bettman's call, it's a vote of the Board of Governors.

sp0628-hockeydiv620.jpg

CBC expects something slightly different, which would be expected to anger the Penguins. This is a screenshot from HNIC on Saturday:

nhl_realignment_could_result_in_four_divisions_angry_penguins.jpg

And does this mean there would be just 2 divisions in each conference?

Loos like there's a decent chance of that, yes. Which I'd prefer. Here are a couple of links related to the above map and screenshot:

NHL realignment a clouded mess | Sports | National Post

NHL Re-alignment in 2012-13? | Fantasy Sports Hype

And here's a link with about how TSN's Darren Drieger said a few weeks ago that there are conditions under which the Wings could find it acceptable to stay in the West:

The Detroit Red Wings Realignment Concession

I find it humorous that the AHL was a 2 division per conference setup forever, then this year, they go to 3 divisions per conference and the NHL is contemplating going back to the old way.