dschonbe

Weaver as a PH

Seems like Jeff is a lot more clutch then anyone else in the lineup. Use him when we get back to AL parks, I say.

Originally posted by dschonbe

Seems like Jeff is a lot more clutch then anyone else in the lineup. Use him when we get back to AL parks, I say.

I hope this wasn't really ment seriously.

Granted, Weaver did have a clutch hit in yesterday's game. but to base a PH role on all of seven at-bats is not a good idea. Especially when you consider his less than stellar record this year... (7 AB: 2 hits (singles), 1 RBI, 0 walks, 4 Strike Outs).

For a pitcher, he ain't bad, but for a position player, I wouldn't use Weaver.

it was in fact, a joke

I'm just frustrated with the tigers

Well, d@mn it! Throw some smilies or something at the end of your post then!! Don't you know that we're all just a bunch of serious, level-headed, never goofing-off bunch of people here?

;) ;) ;)

The sad thing is, I think Weaver might be a better hitter than Craig Paquette;)

Originally posted by MoCheese4U2NV

Weaver's strong enough for a man, but PH balanced for a woman!

Okay, I admit it... that one had me laughing for a number of minutes...:D :D :D

When I saw this thread on Weaver's prowess as a hitter, and thought about how AL pitchers don't really get a lot of "base-pad" time, it made me remember the late 70's - with the Yankees.

Billy Martin , every now and then, would actually put Ron Guidry in to RUN for some less fleet-footed player.

Guidry was a better than average baserunner, and this move paid off often.

Go figure.

Can you imagine a manager today taking his big money pitcher, and throwing him on the basepads??

I miss Billy, that maniac.

See?

Back in the days when they actually considered pitchers part of the damn team , and not a separately owned subsidiary. lol.

I seem to remember that Sparks went in as a pinch runner at one point last year. Is was quickly substituted for just a couple of pitches later...

If I recall the circumstances, it was late in the game, and Garner had used a pinch hitter who was nursing a sore leg and had a hard time running. He made it to first, and Garner wanted to put in a pinch runner, but he was VERY low on players at that point for some reason.

Up next was another player who was either hurting or was really slow (Simon perhaps? Clark?) Anyway, Garner had a faster player on the bench, but his idea was that if whoever was up to bat made it to base, he wanted his fleet footer to pinch run for that batter. Needing to put SOMEONE in for the first batter (remember, that batter was gimppy), Sparks volunteered and was inserted. Whoever was the player up to bat at that point struck out, and so Garner put in his fleet-footer in place for Sparks.

I have vague memories of Jack Morris pinch-running......

BTW, Tom Gage had one of the most hilarious comments in the end of his Tigers Notebook today:

"With the all the ceremonial first pitches he's throwing out this year, Ernie Harwell is getting more work on the mound than Jose Lima."

Sorry for those who already saw that, but I couldnt stop laughing... I guess the reason why Ernie is retiring from the booth, is to adorn the Tiger's uniform and become their next closer... Look out Anderson and Acevedo, you may be "long gone" once Ernie has "standing like a house by the side of the road" as he passes you all by.....

Simon perhaps

simon isn't that slow. and i would PH weaver. he's not a bad hitter, he just doesn't get to bat a lot so he doesn't take pitches well. he did a good job last night at the plate, and i wouldn't mind watching him swing the bat a little more often. however, it won't happen due to the fear by the coaches that weav would get HBP and not be able to start his next start.