CapitalTigers

Allow Verlander to pitch relief game 5? POLL QUESTION...

Allow Verlander to pitch relief in game 5?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Allow Verlander to pitch relief in game 5?

• YES
    • NO

I'm curious as to everyone's take. There is a ton of articles about this online already popping up/ blogs/ etc. Here's one;

Verlander wants to relieve for Tigers in Game 5 - NYPOST.com

Verlander wants to, but do you let him? I wish I understood the risk for injury more and if he could inflame his arm. I'd have to vote probably no, but it sure would be tempting in a close game.

My first reaction was to vote no. It really depends on all the circumstances. If you need JV to pitch in relief to win a game you most likely will not make it out of the next round anyway (IMO). My feeling is that you will need him as much as possible in the next round. If he goes the first game you have him 3 maybe 4 times int he next series. If he pitches relief I highly doubt he pitches game 1...he may not even go game 2. I get the idea that you have to win game 5, but I guess it depends on the circumstance.

If Fister can go 7, like he has pretty much all year, give it to Benoit and then Valverde. If for some reason Fister does not go 7 it most likely means he was pulled early because he gave up some runs. I guess I could consider it if we are in the 6th, up one run, Fister has already pitched 100+ pitches and he has lost it with a couple guys on base and needing one or two outs to bridge the gap to Benoit....then I would consider it I guess, but if Fister cannot go more than 6 innings we are most likely in trouble anyway.

My initial reaction was 100 percent no. But, honestly, in a game #5 all bets are off.

Honestly, I would support any team doing whatever it takes to advance in an elimination game. You can't worry about tomorrow if you don't make it to tomorrow.

But it would have to be some pretty extreme situation for me to want to use him, and it probably wouldn't be for more than a batter or two, but that's about it. If I was a manager, it would be a thought, but it's probably a thought you would have about a 5-10 percent chance of tapping into.

Certainly, if it goes extra innings and you've exhausted your pen. I'd much rather use him than a lot of other options the Tigers would have. It would be terrible for Game #1 for the ALCS if you have to toss Verlander three innings during innings 12-14 of the ALDS, but it would be worse not being in the ALCS at all.

But all this is very extreme talk.

No. He has to be ready to go the first game w/ Texas. If we're winning after 6, I'm fine with Benoit and Valverde to finish the game.

yes/no is too cut and dried. What inning is it? What's the situation? What's the score?

Yes, I'd let him, in certain circumstances, but not very easily.

The only way I want to see Verlander is if Benoit and Valverde are already out, and the game is tied (i.e. extra innings, let JV start the 10th).

I can't imagine another situation where Fister, Benoit and Valverde have all come out and we are still in the game.

No. He has to be ready to go the first game w/ Texas. If we're winning after 6, I'm fine with Benoit and Valverde to finish the game.

I agree with this. The only way I would ever consider pitching Verlander in relief is to win the World Series, or avoid losing the World Series, and only after he has made our last start of the year.

The more I think about this the more I think 100% no. He just pitched Monday where he threw 15+ pitches at 100+. Noway.

This game is HUGE, but not at the expense of blowing JV's arm out. Even if he had pitched Sunday as oppoed to Monday I would probably still say no.

Edited by John_Brian_K

Yes.

There's no tomorrow if we don't win - worry about Game 1 of ALCS if/when that happens. But like others have said, would need to be a very specific situation and I can't really see one where JV would be needed.

If Fister gets lit up early then maybe, but then why risk injury to JV if game out of reach or almost out of reach - maybe extra innings - but would all be dependant on score & situation I guess.

Only way I would be in favor of the move would be:

1. Verlander is able to go

2. Tigers have a slim lead

3. Fister starts to fall apart around 5-6 innings

4. Only use him to get to 8th inning. Let Benoit and Valverde take over

I agree with this. The only way I would ever consider pitching Verlander in relief is to win the World Series, or avoid losing the World Series, and only after he has made our last start of the year.

And I agree with this. Besides, JV hasn't done his best work in his first innings during this series. He has taken time to settle in.

I definitely say yes now too to this. He's got a mature arm and he'd only probably pitch a bullpen session in amount of pitches (30ish), so I say you deifnitely do it with a max pitch count in mind.

If Verlander pitches in relief in Game 5, he will not start the series in Arlington. Because remember, he started Friday, but couldn't come back to start again until Monday because he has a specific routine on his off days that a relief appearance would interrupt. So he probably wouldn't pitch again until Sunday at the earliest, and quite possibly not until Tuesday.

Like I said earlier....the more I think about this the more I think it is a horrid idea. If Leyland has that little faith in the bullpen let him bring Scherzer in for a few innings, but noway I put JV in.

Like I said earlier....the more I think about this the more I think it is a horrid idea. If Leyland has that little faith in the bullpen let him bring Scherzer in for a few innings, but noway I put JV in.

The only way I could see either one of those guys brought into the game is in the 11th inning or later.

Not saying I think you advocate this, but now that you brought this up, under what conditions do you think it might make sense to bring in Scherzer?

Not saying I think you advocate this, but now that you brought this up, under what conditions do you think it might make sense to bring in Scherzer?

To be honest not alot of situations at all. If the game is a blow out either way I am not touching him. And if it is that close in the 5th or 6th and for some reason Fister has thrown 100+ pitches I guess I would consider it depending on how the arms in the pen felt.

If the game is close Benoit in the 7th and 8th if you have to and Valverde closes it out obviously.

I am not sure how comfortable I would be throwing Al Albuquerque in there after what he has done lately. The only real way I consider it I guess would be if the game was close (within a couple runs) and Fister lost it or was over pitches in the 4th/5th.

I think it depends. When would game 1 of the ALCS be? I've looked, but can't find it. Clearly you don't want to do anything that would rule him out of starting that game.

Also, is Verlander scheduled to throw a bullpen or throw on the side Thursday as a part of his normal schedule?

Fun to think about but in the end if this comes down to Verlander throwing one inning in game 5, we probably aren't moving on to the ALCS.

Yes hell yes if needed. But use Scherzer first. Who cares about the ALCS right now. We will deal with it when and if we get there. Yeah I guess it could hurt us in the ALCS, but I would rather use everything we have to make it to the ALCS.