Johnny Mac

Dear Alex Avila,

This is what I don't like about the playoffs. Avila had one of the greatest seasons of any Tigers catcher ever at the age of 24. Now, he has a slump in the playoffs, and that's what a lot of people will remember. All players have hot and cold streaks throughout the season. They can't control when they happen. If they could, they'd always be on a hot streak.

Other than being frustrated with his lack of performance in the postseason, I dont think anyone really has stated that he is a worse player or thinks any less of them. And I agree with your statement mostly, however I do think playoff performance is important, but one playoffs isnt enough to give a guy a reputation in my opinion.

Relax Johnny, just sticking up for my AAT. I get it was a reactionary thread - sorry you took my post to be an attack, it wasn't intended to be like that at all.

What I have learned the last few days is this:

1. It is not OK to criticize a guy who had an unremarkable to poor regular season who did well in the play-offs,

2. It is not OK to criticize a guy who did well in the regular season but had an unremarkable to poor play-offs,

3. It is really not OK to raise the criticism in the game thread after a win, and

4. It is really not OK to raise the criticism in a separate thread after a loss.

5. It is OK to piss and moan about all manner of other stuff in a game thread or separate threads.

6. It is OK to make strawman arguments in response to 1-4, as well as suggest the poster doesn't enjoy baseball enough or are motivated by wanting to show how smart they are.

Do I have it straight?

[/snark]

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

This is what I don't like about the playoffs. Avila had one of the greatest seasons of any Tigers catcher ever at the age of 24. Now, he has a slump in the playoffs, and that's what a lot of people will remember. All players have hot and cold streaks throughout the season. They can't control when they happen. If they could, they'd always be on a hot streak.

+1

Yup.

Similarly, whether the Yankees or Tigers get bounced from the play-offs, a fairly large portion of their respective fan base will dismiss the very good regular season they had.

The playoffs started on Friday, feel free to show up at any point.

Signed,

(some) Tigers Fans

(I know this is a reactionary thread and other guys have stunk and he had a great regular season but this is frustrating)

Yeah he has been awful in the post season so far. Obviously going through a cold streak at the wrong time. I hope he has a great game on Thursday.

Jackson has been horrid. He has looked sooo lost at the plate. How about a day off for Jackson and throw Dirks in there for Thursday? I just hope the team finds some chemistry for Thursday.

Yeah he has been awful in the post season so far. Obviously going through a cold streak at the wrong time. I hope he has a great game on Thursday.

Jackson has been horrid. He has looked sooo lost at the plate. How about a day off for Jackson and throw Dirks in there for Thursday? I just hope the team finds some chemistry for Thursday.

Jackson hasn't just been lost at the plate. He's not playing very well in CF either. He's not making catches he's made all season long - see the Jeter double last night.

Jackson hasn't just been lost at the plate. He's not playing very well in CF either. He's not making catches he's made all season long - see the Jeter double last night.

He had a couple of misses in the Monday game too IIRC.

Leyland needs to take a serious look at batting Jackson 9th in the upcoming game. But he won't.

It was hard for to me to really gage those couple plays from my seats. That's all I kept thinking in my head was how I was going to have to listen to ESPN wax on Granderson for his remarkable catches and compare them to the ones Jackson missed. At the crak of the bat...when I first looked at where it was heading (there were a couple) I thought Jackson was going to gobble them up. When he missed them I had a sinking feeling in my gut. He has caught damn near EVERYTHING hit to him all year and somehow he missed those....I didnt see replays and like I said my view was not the best, but it just left me feeling sick.

Jackson is at least drawing walks, I think he has drawn at least 4 walks and has a hit, been on base twice both the last two games. But yea, he hasnt played too well either. Neither was Victor until his HR, and Betemit has looked bad. And Santiago followed up a great game with a horrible game. A lot of blame to go around

Yet, its still a tied series, and we are one game away from advancing.

It was hard for to me to really gage those couple plays from my seats. That's all I kept thinking in my head was how I was going to have to listen to ESPN wax on Granderson for his remarkable catches and compare them to the ones Jackson missed. At the crak of the bat...when I first looked at where it was heading (there were a couple) I thought Jackson was going to gobble them up. When he missed them I had a sinking feeling in my gut. He has caught damn near EVERYTHING hit to him all year and somehow he missed those....I didnt see replays and like I said my view was not the best, but it just left me feeling sick.

Im sick of seeing Granderson's catch.

His second one was great, but....that first one is a routine catch if he doesnt misjudge it.

Im sick of seeing Granderson's catch.

His second one was great, but....that first one is a routine catch if he doesnt misjudge it.

Yeah that's exactly what I was saying to people at work today that were raving about both catches - the first one should have been a bit more routine had he not taken that extra step in.

I think Bill Freehan had a really lousy 1968 World Series. Maybe that's why he never was seriously considered for the HOF.

Very very true.

Im not singling out Avila, or saying he had a bad regular season or he isnt valuable or anything. I think its pretty clear I was just stating my frustration in Avila's 0fer playoffs.

10-5-1111-50-14AM.png

youve-got-to-be-fukking-kidding-me.jpg

10-5-1111-50-14AM.png

So this is about the same as my random 'lol's right? You are jumping on the guy 'Johnnymac' for voicing his displeasure in Avila when he has said multiple times it is not only his fault and that his starting the thread was pointless? nice.

10-5-1111-50-14AM.png

There is a difference between saying its Avila's fault we are losing games and saying he is having bad games. Im not singling him out for our problems, geeze people.

Oh man that sucks. I remember that play he got popped on the knee. All that up and down can't be helping it. I wish we had some kind of option behind the plate. Not sure if Martinez could do it and switch Avila over to DH to give him a little rest on it.

Oh man that sucks. I remember that play he got popped on the knee. All that up and down can't be helping it. I wish we had some kind of option behind the plate. Not sure if Martinez could do it and switch Avila over to DH to give him a little rest on it.

I think it has been said Martinez problems would prevent him from playing Catcher rest of season, as evident by Santos on playoff roster. Alternative would be Santos.

If Leyland played Santos instead of Avila, would there be any doubt that he would end up getting the game winning hit?

Seems he can do no wrong lately.

So this is about the same as my random 'lol's right? You are jumping on the guy 'Johnnymac' for voicing his displeasure in Avila when he has said multiple times it is not only his fault and that his starting the thread was pointless? nice.

This is not correct. It was only his saying he is not singling out Alex Avila within a thread he started singling out Alex Avila that was hilarious. Nothing more.

This is not correct. It was only his saying he is not singling out Alex Avila within a thread he started singling out Alex Avila that was hilarious. Nothing more.

Because pointing out he is having some problems is the same thing as singling him out as to why our team played bad.....ok :tired:

Hell if you had even read the first post of the thread you would have seen this

I know this is a reactionary thread and other guys have stunk and he had a great regular season but this is frustrating
Edited by Johnny Mac