Sign in to follow this  
clark1mt

Palace naming rights up for bid

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20111003/FREE/111009995

According to that article, the Pistons are looking for a naming sponsor for the Palace. Not sure how that would go over initially, especially with the current marginalization of the Pistons in the Detroit sports world.

Then again, lots of people felt the same way about Comerica Park initially, and nobody really cares now.

There's already a Toyota Center in Houston. I doubt they would even be in it. How about the Little Caesar's Pizza Pizza Center?

There's already a Toyota Center in Houston. I doubt they would even be in it. How about the Little Caesar's Pizza Pizza Center?

I like this idea. Its funny. If I were a billionaire I would change my name to Auburn Hills buy the Palace and not change a damn thing.

How about Platinum Equity. Call it the Platinum Palace and all the players will be eager to play here because they'll think it's a marquee strip club.

If we all ante up, maybe we can get it named the MowtownPistons.com arena.

That would probably be worth a free suite as well for the season. I got an extra $10. Anyone else in?

I knew this day would come at some point. Almost every stadium/arena in sports today from large to small has some kind of corp name. I'm cool with it cause it may give us more money to spend when ever the season starts back up.

I hear the road into the Palace is going to be changed to Championship Way presented by Bell Tire Road in the next couple of days as well.

If we all ante up, maybe we can get it named the MowtownPistons.com arena.

That would probably be worth a free suite as well for the season. I got an extra $10. Anyone else in?

If we asked each regular poster in the forum to come up with a million dollars, we'd have nearly $10 million dollars.

I kid, I kid.

Depending on the number I think it would be a bad investment for a company. Putting your name on a place that has been around and known as something else is horrible.

Does anyone think the Cleveland Indians play at Progressive field, or Jacobs Field? The 49ers at 3Com Park, or Candlestick? Where do the Dolphins play? The only time it's a good idea is when a place is newly built. Comerica Park works because there never was another name. Had they tried to do that with Tiger Stadium, it would have been a huge waste because no one would have called it whatever they would have named it.

At this point, though, it is just the Pistons looking for additional revenue. The construction costs have long since been recovered, the building is still in good shape, and they have some poor management if the operating costs aren't covered by the events they host. Defraying initial construction costs make selling naming rights a near necessity, but this is just seeking another source of revenue.

The Superdome sold their naming rights to Mercedes Benz. It's now the Mercedes Benz Superdome. Everyone is still going to call it the Superdome. No one really referred to it as the Louisiana Superdome. Seems like a waste after 35 years to finally sell the naming rights. The Palace won't lose Palace in its name. Instead of being The Palace of Auburn Hills, it will be the Little Ceaser's Palace, or GM Palace.

I don't think a sponsor gives a damn what I or anyone else calls it. They pay the money so broadcasters say the sponsored name for the TV audience to hear. They pay the money so they can plaster their logo all over the stadium for fans to see at the game and on TV.

Can you imagine the ****storm that would ensue from the revealing of the Nissan Center or Hyundai Place?

I wouldn't be able to listen to Sports Talk Radio for a month...