Los Gatos

2012 Topps Series 1

I really want the whole sets just so I can get all the Tigers players this past decade.

In that case, I recommend just buying the Tigers team sets. Search eBay for "2011 Topps Tigers set" (or whatever years you want) and you'll find multiple listings for every recent year and will save a ton of money compared to the entire factory set. Plus you can get the update sets and even dabble with the inserts and still save big $. And if you need cheap singles to fill in any sets, try sportlots.com or justcommons.com.

I'll also add that I only collect the regular Topps set and with any card set, there will be some omitted players that other sets include. So if your focus is to build as many of the players possible, spend some time looking on eBay at the other brands and sets as well. Maybe pull the rosters from those years and search players. Examples are Topps Heritage, Allen & Ginter, Gypsy Queen, Bowman. And going back just a few years, we still had Upper Deck, Donruss, Fleer and Score. And you can find cards of many of the minor league prospects in sets like Bowman, Topps Pro Debut, Topps Heritage Minors and Donruss Elite Edition.

Bought 2 "mini" boxes at walmart today. Finished with these 3 Tiger cards and a Verlander ERA card with 2 other guys. I don't buy a lot of packs, but I kinda like the mini boxes. I think it was 72 cards for $9.99 compared to the 81 in a blaster for $19.99. I didn't read all the odds on the inserts, so that may be the difference. Cards were all cut great and centered, pics just didn't turn out well.

Scherzer.jpg

Raburn.jpg

IMG101.jpg

Addition to the base checklist above - Jhonny Peralta #54, which I pulled this morning (opening packs at work is fun!).

Other random notes. There appear to be no ToppsTown cards this year. Regarding insert cards, the Target packs I opened had 2 per pack and my Meijer packs just had 1 (so 10 base cards at Target and 11 at Meijer). Lastly, this year's giveaway program cards have small photos of regular player cards like last year - if you spot any Tigers on those cards, please post it here.

Dirk, I agree that the mini boxes (blisters, I think they're called) offer the best value of the retail products. They're the same price per card as rack (hanger) packs, and lower than individual packs and much lower than blaster boxes. The blister advantage over racks is they're protected from pack-searchers. I bought 1 blister and and some packs just for the fun of opening more things. In the end, I probably would have been better off buying a hobby box.

A thing on the Blasters or mini-boxes: At Target and Wal-Mart there are actually two different types, a regular one and one that is labeled with a "Look for exclusive..." wording and logo on them. The latter boxes will include a two packs (I think) of retail specific parallels. At Target, these are the red bordered cards. At Wal-Mart these are the blue borders. These effectively replace the "All Black" and "Throwback" parallels from the last couple years, and have the added bonus of being obvious before you buy the box.

So, if you'd don't care about parallels and just want the regular cards, avoid the specially marked boxes.

I love Topps cards - they are mostly the only thing I collect. But I also like to complain about them. In Series 1, what's really irking me (among other things) is the Delmon Young card. It's his 1st Tigers card since coming over from the Twins, and what are we blinded by in the photo? A massive Twins World Series logo. Come on! Surely there were other photos to choose from!

$(KGrHqJ,!hQE8mHt10HqBPKej-uycw~~60_12.JPG

Lastly, this year's giveaway program cards have small photos of regular player cards like last year - if you spot any Tigers on those cards, please post it here.

Got a Cabrera one!

I've noticed some players have triple variations this year - Pablo Sandoval for one, can't remember the other I saw. Those (and double variations - like the Skip squirrel card) appear to be this year's SP's (rather than legend SP's). I have not seen any Tiger SP's - anyone else come across one?

Dave or anyone else, if you come up with an extra Cabrera code card and would trade, please let me know. Redeem the code - I don't care about that - I just want one of the cards. Also still need one of the V-Mart code cards from last year if anyone has an extra.

Thanks for the link. Hosmer is the other triple variation I forgot before. Those don't appear to be noted in that article unless I overlooked them. I've seen 3 Hosmer cards (fist in air, gatorade, dugout) and 3 Sandoval cards (mascot, different mascot, fielding). Don't know if there are other players with 3.

I went to 2 local monthly shows this morning and for less than $8, picked up multiples of every base Tigers card, the Cabrera code card, every Tiger insert I needed except one, and a few miscellaneous cards. I finally have to stop buying retail packs. I could get the Cabrera auto online for less than what I spent earlier this week on packs, which is essentially a stack of junk because I don't build the full sets. Hobby packs were selling for $2 at both shows - the same as retail packs in the stores.

If anyone comes up with an extra GG16 - Cobb Golden Greats, please let me know if you want to trade. I have an extra GS12 Kaline Gold Standards and extras of all the base, as well as the non-Tigers I opened earlier.

Also looking to trade for the base Mantle #7. I can trade the Kaline insert mentioned above, extra Tiger base and non-Tiger base, inserts and gold parallel.

Just ended a hair shy of $630. It's a redemption, so if I'm the buyer I would hold out hope that the two autographs are signed on-card. If so, this could be a real beauty and might even come close to being worth the price (ok, probably not), considering the quality and fame of the two pitchers. If this is a dual sticker auto then I think the new owner is getting fleeced.

Dan, I just discovered something for your checklist: Purple base parallels exclusive to Toys-R-Us this year. Everyone's Tigers albums just got a little more colorful this year.

Thought I had my 2012 Topps Series 1 base set done, but after sorting through cards I received through some trades on SCF and The Bench yesterday I realize I'm still missing #92. Who's got it?

Thought I had my 2012 Topps Series 1 base set done, but after sorting through cards I received through some trades on SCF and The Bench yesterday I realize I'm still missing #92. Who's got it?

That's the NL ERA leaders. I don't but if I make it to my local show this weekend, they'll have it for a dime if you still need it then.