Sign in to follow this  
Moonlight Graham

Tigers @ Marlins game 3

I have never started a game thread before so here it goes.

4:05 PM ET

Detroit 25-47 (Rd: 9-28)

Florida 39-34 (Hm: 21-14)

Det - Weaver (5-8, 3.36) Fla - Dempster (5-6, 5.07)

The over under for todays game thread posts has been set at 14. I'll take over. I feel lucky.

MIAMI (Ticker) -- Luis Castillo will try to start a new hitting streak Sunday afternoon when the Florida Marlins conclude a three-game series with the Detroit Tigers.

Castillo's streak ended at 35 games when he went 0-for-4 in Saturday's 5-4 win. Trailing 4-1 in the ninth inning, the Marlins erupted for four runs and won the game on Tim Raines' sacrifice fly with Castillo on the on-deck circle.

Castillo flied out in the first inning, struck out in the third and grounded out in his final two-bats.

Castillo broke Rogers Hornsby's previous record of 33 for a second baseman and his streak was the longest in the major leagues since Milwaukee's Paul Molitor hit in 39 straight games in 1987.

Florida's Ryan Dempster (5-6, 5.07 ERA) tries to win three consecutive starts for the first time all season. Since being roughed up for 10 earned runs at Minnesota on June 7, he is 2-0 with a 3.00 ERA.

Dempster has also won three consecutive decisions at home and the Marlins have won six of his last seven home starts since September 28, 2001.

The righthander, who is 5-7 with a 5.83 ERA in 16 career interleague starts, has never faced Detroit.

Detroit, which is 2-6 on its 12-game road trip, starts Jeff Weaver (5-8, 3.36), who tries to win consecutive starts for the first time in a month.

Weaver has not won consecutive starts since May 17-22. On May 22 he nearly tossed a no-hitter and was roughed up for 16 earned runs in 18 innings in his next three outings.

However, the righthander ended his slide on Tuesday by tossing his major league leading third shutout against Atlanta. Weaver allowed five hits and struck out seven in his 10th career complete game.

Weaver has never faced the Marlins, but is 8-1 in 14 interleague games with a 3.43 ERA

Detroit Tigers

Batter

Santiago SS

Magee CF

Fick RF

Simon 1B

Inge C

Halter 3B

Lombard LF

Easley 2B

Weaver P

Florida Marlins

Batter

Bush 2B

Fox SS

Lowell 3B

Floyd RF

Lee 1B

Wilson CF

Millar LF

Redmond C

Dempster P

Detroit Tigers

Pitcher

Weaver

Florida Marlins

Pitcher

Dempster

Santiago flies out to left, Magee grounds out, Fick hit by the pitch, Simon strikes out, 0-0 mid 1st

Bush grounds out, Fox pops out, Lowell hits a home run, owens gets a single, Lee hits into a force out 1-2 marlins after 1

Inge walks, Halter gets a single, Inge to 3rd, Lombard strikes out, Easley strikes out, Weaver gets a single, Inge scores, halter to 2nd, Santiago strikes out, 1-1 mid 2nd

Wilson strikes out, Millar pops out, Redmond grounds out, 1-1 after 2

Magee strikes out, Fick grounds out, Simon flies out, 1-1 mid 3rd

Dempster grounds out, Bush grounds out, Fox grounds out nice play by santiago, 1-1 after 2 innings

Inge strikes out, Halter flies out deep, Lombard flies out, 1-1 mid 4th

Lowell pops out, Owens strikes out, Lee grounds out, 1-1 after 4

2-1 marlins after 5 innings( sorry i ddint get the play by play i had to run to the store)

Magee lines out, Fick walks, Simon gets a single, fick to 2nd, Inge strikes out, halter error on the ss, fick scores and simon to 3rd , halter to 2nd, Lombard strikes out, 2-2 mid 6th

lowell walks, Owens pops out, Lee flies out to center, Wilson strikes out, 2-2 after 6

Easley grounds out, Weaver basehit, Santiago flies out, Magee strikes out, 2-2 mid 7th

Millar strikes out, Redmond hits a single, raines pinch hits for Dempster, Raines grounds into a Doubleplay, 2-2 after 7

halter flies out, young pinchhits for lombard, Young strikes out, Easley hits A HOOOOOOOOOOME RUNNNNNNNN, Jackson bats for Farnsworth, Jackson walks, Santiago walks, Looper replaces the pitcher, Magee grounds out, 3-2 tigers mid 9th

Acevedo comes in to close the game, Wilson Strikes out, Millar flies out, Redmond gets a basehit, Castillo pinchhits, Castillo gets a single, redmond to 2nd, floyd pinch hits,the runners move up a base on a steal, Floyd strikes out, YAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO THE TIGERS WIN 3-2

Well that only kind of sucked, but not too bad. At least Acevedo didn't totally blow it, he just tried real hard. And then when he struck out Floyd he showboated on the mound, putting his hand to his ear like "I don't hear you yelling now".

Congratulations, you didn't quite blow the game. Wahoo, you only suck most of the way.

After the game the Tigers all went out to congratulate each other, and as they were walking back to the dugout I stood and clapped, and then I yelled "one out of three isn't good enough, let's go!" So if they go on a big winning streak, it's all because I motivated them. If they continue losing as expected, it's because they suck.

How about that Easley guy huh?(Yeah,I know he sucks,but I couldn't resist :D )

But I have to admit,Jackson has played well enough as of late to take the job away from Easley.Hope he keeps improving with the bat.