Jeff

When the Tigers have the lead in the 7th inning...

We def have a nice back end of the bull pen. The front end and long relief has been a problem almost all year. Hopefully Perry and Schlereth can finally live up to the 1st round status and pitch well for us next year.

holy crap.

HOLY CRAP.

that record still stands?? How did we forget to keep track of this?

That's incredible.

I'm pretty sure I heard that on 97.1 as well, but I'm not sure if its true... Early in the season when Beniot had those couple or horrid outings I was sure he had to have cost us a game late...

MLB.com Gameday | MLB.com: Gameday

is it supposed to be after the 7th...?

I'm checking on this and it's pretty wierd, but so far it's true. The telling part is that the Tigers MUST have the LEAD AFTER THE 7th inning.

7/20/2011 Losing pitcher David Purcey (Tigers were leading 5-3 until Oakland scored 4 in the top half of the 7th inning)

6/24- Purcey get's loss again, BUT, once again, the Tigers and Diamondback's were tied 6-6 in the 7th, Purcey gave up the winning run in the 8th.

*** For what it is worth, two observations seem to emerge from this after I looked into it a bit....

1) The 7th inning seemed the biggest part of the trouble for the Tigers (pehaps pre- Al Albuquerque).

2) The Tigers lost some games in extra innings where the Benoit and Valverde were already used up.

FWIW

Another cool aspect about this stat: we've won 87 games this year, so there's 14 games we've won while not leading after 7. Granted, some of these might have been tied after 7, but that's still 14 late-game victories.