baseball3

Tigers: Are they for real or are they really paper Tigers?

ANOTHER jab. You are like Hearns. I love the little one liners without explanation also. Keep em coming.

He's mocking your posting style, behaving towards you as you do to others. Rather blatantly. It was obvious to me from the first post and became increasingly obvious as he continued, but then I'm on the outside looking at the exchange between the two of you. It might not be as obvious in the middle of it.

Criteria for being the best:

1. Collect Underpants

2. ?

3. Profit.

Well played South Park reference.

....So my next question would be this:

What will people generally think (and you specifically) about the 2011 Tigers if they lose in the first round and either get swept or only win 1 game?

Will this season still be considered a huge success or would a free fall bring out all those naysayers who really considered this to be a medicore team mostly due to the lack of competition within the division?

Thoughts?

Any season in which the team wins 90 games is a pretty big success in my mind. All of the other particulars that surround that --- Division titles, championships, collapses, etc. only serve to put icing on the cake, bump it up to "huge success" or to lead to a suboptimal outcome.

The fact of the matter for me is that I usually go to at least 10 games a year and some years as many as 20 (or if we're talking about 2007, 43). I either watch on television or listen to on the radio roughly 140 games a year and whatever games I don't see or listen to I'm all in the box scores ASAP. I live and die with the team for five or six months, experiencing the ups and downs and living and dying with wins and losses. Considering the amount of investment that I have personally and to some extent financially (with the tickets that I buy), what I mainly require is that a good product is on the field. A team that is significantly more likely to win games than lose them, such that when I tune in or attend I'm more likely to have a happy experience than a sad one, and such that when I'm 5 months into the season I'm more likely to feel validated for my attachment/investment than invalidated.

90 wins is about where I hold that threshold. Some seasons are more or less enjoyable below that threshold, but that's the mark of a good team, one that is more likely to deliver good outcomes, a team that I can be proud of as a fan for being a winner.

My goal is for the Tigers to win 90+ games every year. If they do that consistently, they will make the playoffs often. If they make the playoffs often, that increases their chances of winning the crap shoot one year.

I think making the playoffs this year makes them a success. If they win the World Series, then it's an even better year, but not winning the World Series doesn't make it a losing year.

And for this reason too.

I don't think anyone begrudges the idea the rules allow for an 82 win team to win the World Series. The question, I think, is whether the 82 win team is, in fact, the best team in baseball for having won the World Series.

I actually do begrudge this. I don't begrudge the team for playing by the rules, but I begrudge rules that allow for it to occur. It makes a mockery of the league in my opinion, for a .500-level team to be called a champion, hence my severe disdain for the exorbitant number of playoff teams. In a perfect World there would only be 2, but 4 would be acceptable. 8 is insane. They're expanding to 10 next year and that's a travesty in my mind.

A playoff would be nice, but actually that's part of the appeal for me - the big shouting match at season's end about who the TRUE #1 should be! :wink:

I like how the lack of a playoff gives more meaning to regular season games. You pretty much have to win every week to have a good shot at the championship. You might get it with one loss, but you can't count on it. That adds a lot of drama to every weekend of the season.

I just wish they would dump the fake championship game. It was better when they just had bowl games and no championship. Then we could just argue who was #1. I know most want a playoff, but I'm fine without it.

. This is how I envision typical playoff games going for the Tigers: MLB.com Gameday | MLB.com: Gameday

This is the fear of all Tiger fans after having won a tremendous number of games in late August/September that were against sub par competition, they actually run into a decent pitcher and at the same time, have one of our pitchers exposed vs. a not so good offense.

This is scary -- Which is reality, what we've seen the last two weeks or what we saw last night?

We'll see very soon !

Quite simply the fear here is that the Tigers are simply the best of a bad litter of some bad teams in the AL Central................

Quite simply the fear here is that the Tigers are simply the best of a bad litter of some bad teams in the AL Central................

Yet their record is comparable with most division leaders, so I don't fear this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not worried about this either. This phenomenal winning streak had to end somewhere.

On that note, the As have recently taken a game from the Rangers and Angels, which are both great teams. It happens, it's part of baseball. We just forgot that losing was part of the game these past two weeks.

I refuse to worship the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays. The Tigers are capable of beating all three teams in a 5- or 7-game playoff.

Going 22-4 is awesome no matter what the competition is. Boston and New York has faced those same teams and has not dominated them like that. I don't expect the Tigers to go into the playoffs and crush teams, but they have a good chance against anybody.

Obviously, since they couldn't pull out a win last night, when the division was on the line, and the adrenaline was flowing, they can't be the best team in the Central...

Given, the Tigers are the AL Central Division Champions and champaign flowed large last night.......

....Given, it's been a while since they've had a divisional Championship, which is fantastic.

.......Beware, this is lined with all kind of mediocracy (smoke and mirrors). Beware of the Paper Tigers..............could be coming soon to a playoff venue near you !

Here we go, in less than 24 hours we find out who these guys really are. Will this be like 2006 when they beat the Yankees in the first round and lost a poor regular season team, St. Louis Cardinals in the World Series? There are a LOT of similarities to the make up of this year's playoff team as in 2006. Do we have some real Tigers here or will they prove to be Paper Tigers?

.....here we go !!!! Let the games begin, should be exciting!

I think that this team is a lot better than 2006. They might lose in the first round but the team is a lot better. I like the pitching staff with Verlander, Fister, Alburquerque, Benoit, Valverde and 7 other guys who are at least mediocre except Perry. I like the hitters with Cabrera, Martinez, Peralta, Avila and I like Jackson's glove. And the defense wasn't nearly as horrible as we feared it would be in March. This is a really, really good team, the best since that underachieving crowd from the mid-80's. I'm feeling a lot more confident than I did in 2006.

Lucky the Orioles are not in the playoffs!!!! IMO, they are the hottest team in baseball right now, but it is playoff time and we get the Yankees...time to crush them!!!

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Intra-records of the 8 playoff teams

Detroit: 18-8 (NY 4-3, TB 6-1, Tex 6-3, Ari 2-1 STL/PHIL/MIL NA)

NY: 19-15 (Det 3-4, TB 9-9, Tex 7-2, Ari/STL/PHIL/MIL NA)

STL: 20-17 (Det-NY-Tex NA, TB 1-2, Ari 4-3, Mil 9-9, Phi 6-3)

Ari: 12-11 (Det 1-2, NY-Tex-TB NA, Mil 4-3, Phi 3-3, STL 4-3)

Phil: 12-13 (Det-NY-TB NA, Tex 2-1, Ari 3-3, Mil 4-3, STL 3-6)

TB: 18-22 (Det 1-6, NY 9-9, Tex 4-5, Mil 2-1, STL 2-1, Ari-Phi NA)

Mil: 16-22 (Det-Tex NA, NY 0-3, TB 1-2, Ari 3-4, 3-4, 9-9)

Tex: 11-19 (Det 3-6, NY 2-7, TB 5-4, Phi 1-2, Ari, STl, MIl NA)

Intra-records of the 8 playoff teams

Detroit: 18-8 (NY 4-3, TB 6-1, Tex 6-3, Ari 2-1 STL/PHIL/MIL NA)

NY: 19-15 (Det 3-4, TB 9-9, Tex 7-2, Ari/STL/PHIL/MIL NA)

STL: 20-17 (Det-NY-Tex NA, TB 1-2, Ari 4-3, Mil 9-9, Phi 6-3)

Ari: 12-11 (Det 1-2, NY-Tex-TB NA, Mil 4-3, Phi 3-3, STL 4-3)

Phil: 12-13 (Det-NY-TB NA, Tex 2-1, Ari 3-3, Mil 4-3, STL 3-6)

TB: 18-22 (Det 1-6, NY 9-9, Tex 4-5, Mil 2-1, STL 2-1, Ari-Phi NA)

Mil: 16-22 (Det-Tex NA, NY 0-3, TB 1-2, Ari 3-4, 3-4, 9-9)

Tex: 11-19 (Det 3-6, NY 2-7, TB 5-4, Phi 1-2, Ari, STl, MIl NA)

Clearly the Tigers are in because they feasted on weak competition.

They also predict the Rays to push the series to 5 games (whoops) and the Tigers to win tonight