JonBenke

GAME #2: Notre Dame @ Michigan - NIGHT GAME!

MainGraphic2.jpg

NightGame.jpg

presented by "UNDER THE LIGHTS" .. may the rain stay far, far away

DenardRyan.jpg

AND DON'T FORGET .. JUST LAST YEAR, IN SOUTH BEND - THAT HAPPENED!

DenardHeisman.jpg

.. hey, have I ever told you the joke about irish people ..

LewanReferee.jpg

AND .. FINALLY, THE CHICKEN TURTLE MAN'S PREDICTION ON THE GAME!

ChickTurtleMan.jpg

MICHIGAN - 34, NOTRE DAME - 24

GO BLUE!

nd2.gif

What a nice guy this is ... seriously, can I de-commit right now and commit to Notre Dame?

So did the hammer fall at all about the student death from the guy up in the tower? Or did ND turn that into some life-affirming confirmation of God's mysterious plan?

'

This is going to be a tough game. ND is better than they showed last night.

Agreed. They will have a chip on their shoulder coming into this one. They will be fired up. They still have a ton of talent. Will be interesting to see how Michigan responds.

ND Dominated USF in pretty much every way but turnovers, and the scoreboard. Can Michigan's defense get some big takeaways for the second week in a row? If so it could be a much better year than people expected. If not...well we will probably lose.

Woolfolk, Cam Gordon, and Ricky Barnum will all play on Saturday per Hoke presser.

Wondering who will start on the OL; Barnum or Schofield.

Gordon had a minor back injury, Barnum was suspended for unknown reasons (along with a couple of other guys who I've forgotten already)

So, uh, now that benke has been released, I get the impression that this forum is going to get pretty quiet.

Shutup. :classic:

This game worries me a bit too. Rees will almost certainly start instead of Crist, & for whatever reason the team responds to him better. UM's defense wasn't able to get any pressure on WMU without blitzing, & I think Rees will be able to take advantage of that better than Carder did.

Edited by djhutch

No idea what to think about ND's team this year. They should still have a good defense and the D performed fine against USF. But the offense was not in synch consistently and they obviously can't afford to turn the ball over like they did.

This should be a good test of UM's new offense and defense. Without knowing how good ND will actually be this year I don't think this game will really tell us much about how good either team is, but I do think it will be an interesting one to look back on later (once we know more about the strengths and weaknesses of each team).

for those on twitter, they're using the hashtag #UTL for this bugger.

I can't wait for this game. I'm so lucky I get to go.

I think ND is going to be really tough.

No idea what to think about ND's team this year. They should still have a good defense and the D performed fine against USF. But the offense was not in synch consistently and they obviously can't afford to turn the ball over like they did.

This should be a good test of UM's new offense and defense. Without knowing how good ND will actually be this year I don't think this game will really tell us much about how good either team is, but I do think it will be an interesting one to look back on later (once we know more about the strengths and weaknesses of each team).

The comparisons of ND to RR's M teams are obvious, IMO. Right down to the screaming head coach.

In this game, ND gets crap loads of yards but that never seems to translate at any point of the game into getting any traction towards winning. You keep thinking that if they just take out the self-inflicted errors they'll win by 20 but it never happens. But in the back of your mind you wonder if your opponent (USF) is going all out or just playing it safe waiting for your predictable, obvious self-destruction.

Of course, ND could put it all together this week and win by 20. As an M fan tho I do take heart in the fact that Crist supposedly looked horrible. And that GRob actually had relative (for him) success last year until CGordon showed us he was in fact a WR/LB playing S.

The comparisons of ND to RR's M teams are obvious, IMO. Right down to the screaming head coach.

In this game, ND gets crap loads of yards but that never seems to translate at any point of the game into getting any traction towards winning. You keep thinking that if they just take out the self-inflicted errors they'll win by 20 but it never happens. But in the back of your mind you wonder if your opponent (USF) is going all out or just playing it safe waiting for your predictable, obvious self-destruction.

Of course, ND could put it all together this week and win by 20. As an M fan tho I do take heart in the fact that Crist supposedly looked horrible. And that GRob actually had relative (for him) success last year until CGordon showed us he was in fact a WR/LB playing S.

RR's teams seemed to do this for three straight years. Kelly's team didn't have the same problems last year and only did it this game. But one strength Kelly had at every stop was quickly finding a QB who could run his system relatively well. Kelly spent most of last year looking for that guy at ND and never found him, and I haven't seen anything that suggests he's found one this year (or that the candidates from last year have really changed much). It's possible he just doesn't have a QB on his roster that can do the things he wants to do.

RR's teams still scored a crapload of points against teams with bad defenses, it will be up to the Michigan D to make plays for once, you can't count on ND losing the game themselves

RR's teams seemed to do this for three straight years. Kelly's team didn't have the same problems last year and only did it this game. But one strength Kelly had at every stop was quickly finding a QB who could run his system relatively well. Kelly spent most of last year looking for that guy at ND and never found him, and I haven't seen anything that suggests he's found one this year (or that the candidates from last year have really changed much). It's possible he just doesn't have a QB on his roster that can do the things he wants to do.

The comparison was definitely based on that one game, as I didn't really watch much ND at all last year, other than to laugh at them. But there was a crap-load of smoke for that one game, makes me think we might see a fire this season.

I was wondering about Rees (?). I didn't see enough of him last season to make any judgements as to whether he can hurt M. I only remember being scared of Crist in last year's game, but I'm sure he's a bit more seasoned by now.

The comparison was definitely based on that one game, as I didn't really watch much ND at all last year, other than to laugh at them. But there was a crap-load of smoke for that one game, makes me think we might see a fire this season.

I was wondering about Rees (?). I didn't see enough of him last season to make any judgements as to whether he can hurt M. I only remember being scared of Crist in last year's game, but I'm sure he's a bit more seasoned by now.

Neither was good last year. Rees did well as long as ND was able to run the ball and was consistent enough to let ND's defense win them a bunch of games last year. But he's nothing special and struggles against good defenses. He is capable of carving UM's defense up if they aren't able to stop the run or put well disguised pressure on him. Crist has the physical tools to be a great QB but his timing never seems to be right (this might be a receiver issue) and his decision making, especially under pressure, is questionable. If you can pressure Crist with your front 4, he'll make big mistakes.

Neither was good last year. Rees did well as long as ND was able to run the ball and was consistent enough to let ND's defense win them a bunch of games last year. But he's nothing special and struggles against good defenses. He is capable of carving UM's defense up if they aren't able to stop the run or put well disguised pressure on him. Crist has the physical tools to be a great QB but his timing never seems to be right (this might be a receiver issue) and his decision making, especially under pressure, is questionable. If you can pressure Crist with your front 4, he'll make big mistakes.

If ND has a decent offensive line, I don't think they'll have too much trouble running the ball. That's based on the WMU game. Altho on 2nd thought WMU didn't really even try to run too much, so maybe M was rightly playing the pass. But I didn't really like what I saw when they did run.

I think M will try to pressure Rees (and the run game for that matter), and when they do he should just throw it in the general direction of Michael Floyd. God forbid JT Floyd is covering him, but even if it's Woolfolk it's a mismatch.

Question is will Mattison be able to confuse him with disguised blitz etc. WMU qb, pretty good qb with experience, was quoted as saying he didn't know where the blitz was coming from, UM disguised them well.

Heck of a first start for the kid.