DTroppens

The 2011 Mid-American Conference Football thread

I read your 3:18 post and was going to write what your 3:19 post says! Because, for one, I'll be there... and for two, it's a pretty big game.

I read your 3:18 post and was going to write what your 3:19 post says! Because, for one, I'll be there... and for two, it's a pretty big game.

Enjoy the game. I'll put it on when I get back from work.

It was good to watch almost an entire CMU game on ESPN2 last night.

The team is better than I imagined. They are actually have some good talent but they lose the close games now instead of winning them. They are most likely a .500 team with an inexperienced coach.

With 3rd down around the 10 yard line and 1 timeout left CMU ran a QB sneak into the center of the field to try for a game tying field goal by Harmon. Harmon who has been great all year just shanks one to lose the game. I hated the fact that CMU was playing for overtime. Take a shot in the endzone to win the game then kick the FG. But Harmon choked plain and simple. The team set him up with a cookie and he missed it.

That said Gardner is emerging as a great running back as a freshman. Tipton also looks good. The running game has not been this good in many many years. Radcliffe has his moments and then throws the foolish pick. Though the receivers have dropped many balls on him the Chips do have some great weapons in freshman Titus. I did not see Cody Wilson maybe he is out for dropping balls? the announcers mentioned he had dropped alot recently though he leads the team in grabs, Blackburn has played well. The defense is bad but not as horrible as they were in the early Lefevour years. This team just has trouble closing out games and winning in the end. Radcliffe cannot run like Lefevour but he doesn't need too since the running backs seem very adequate. The future looks bright it just sucks to lose these winnable games.

They did take a shot at the endzone and Radcliff almost threw a pick.

Wow, the Chippewas looked competitive against a very very bad Kent State team. Kent State is really bad. They entered the game as one of the worst rated offensive teams in college football, yet they put 400+ yards on the board. The Central offense, it's not good. Every team has a piece or two that you can feel good about. The Chips have a piece or two, but overall this is just a lousy bunch of football players. And compounding matters is they are being forced to play their depth, particularly on defense.

Offensively, Davis has some promise. I think you meant Garland (honest mistake) as the back. He has had his moments, but we'll see. Those two are the ones with the most promise.

This team is a long way from being anything of a finished product. If the team doesn't make strides of progress next year, Enos could be gone fast. My biggest concern - what is Central. What does Enos want Central's image to be? I have no clue. Does anyone have a clue? Does Enos? That's a huge issue. There are reasons that can be looked upon as why the team is struggling beyond his control (injuries and youth playing being the main ones), but even with this team's record, I should know what they "want to be." It's scary how little of an identity this team really has. That's a serious red flag moving forward. If I could see what Enos wants to be, I'd give him more of a break this season. You don't have to be successful to at least give us an idea what you want your imposed will to be. But we don't see anything.

On Thursday, it's Ohio U.

It's on ESPN U.

On a sidenote, so far the CMU men's basketball team has just one game expected to be televised on one of the ESPN networks, against the Golden Gophers. Hopefully, the Big Ten Network picks up the game with Nebraska.

This just in - Central's defense is pathetic. Well over 200 rushing yards for Ohio tonight.

Of course, it doesn't help when you complete a pass for a safety either.

The defense proves it's awfully balanced, allowing over 300 rushing yards and allowing over 200 as well.

The passing game proves it's awful. Despite outstanding protection by the offensive line all night long, the receivers continue to drop passes and Radcliff continues to show inconsistencies.

And the running game? It's behind the passing game.

Eight possessions of three or less plays.

So I think it's pretty cool that the last few weeks on every Tuesday and Wednesday I've been able to watch some MAC football. I love college football to my core.

While this is good visibility for the MAC on ESPN, it's quite shocking how few people are at any of these games. I mean, there are maybe 1,000 people in the stands during some of these. It's sad to see. I'm sure the cold weather and week night keep people away...but I wonder if they should sacrafice some of this national TV to play some weekend games and get butts in seats.

So I think it's pretty cool that the last few weeks on every Tuesday and Wednesday I've been able to watch some MAC football. I love college football to my core.

While this is good visibility for the MAC on ESPN, it's quite shocking how few people are at any of these games. I mean, there are maybe 1,000 people in the stands during some of these. It's sad to see. I'm sure the cold weather and week night keep people away...but I wonder if they should sacrafice some of this national TV to play some weekend games and get butts in seats.

MAC games, generally, don't get a ton of people. But what you are usually seeing is the "visiting" team's side of the field. Most of the "regulars" on these fields are on the media side, so there are more people at the games than it looks. I'm watching the Miami game right now, and it almost looks like the only people on the one side is the band. Probably the only other ones there are the parents of the band members.

It always bothers me to see "absolutely no one" at these games, but while there's still not a ton of people at the games, if the TV cameras were angled to see the side with the season ticket fans and the usual fans, you'd see more.

But, generally, MAC fans aren't as dedicated to their sports as other schools are too. I have CMU friends that are more Michigan and MSU fans. In fact, I may be the rare breed that considers myself a passionate CMU fan and not one for the "Big Two" in the state.

A few weeks ago, the MAC game of the week was on TV and the Michigan-Michgan State game was on as well. I watched way more of the MAC game than I did the other - pretty much only changing the station when the Toledo-Bowling Green was on a commercial. I'm willing to bet that 99.99% of MAC graduates in Michigan didn't do that.

And as deep a CMU fan as I supposedly am, I'm not going to go to Kelly Shorts Stadium Friday night when I can save the drive and watch the game on one of the ESPN networks. It's just not top-notch 1A football, and we realize it. Consequently, it gets treated that way by its own fans.

BTW, I've been flip-flopping between the two games tonight. Watching more the WMU game because they are the state team. Looks like the Broncos are going to win.

Actually, on that extra-point kick you could tell there weren't many people on the pressbox side of the field either.

I think it's cool how they say they got an "update" and the "update" is the other MAC game. That NEVER happens on a Saturday.

Another interesting point about the MAC Game of the Week that is shown for about six weeks at Noon on Saturdays - the time block is from noon until 3:30 p.m. If the game takes longer, the game's end isn't shown in its completion because most of those stations are ABC stations and they have a key game on ABC. It happened at least once where a CMU game didn't get the end of its game completed because it went beyond 3:30 p.m. I want to say that was about three years ago. It didn't matter much. CMU was crushing the opponent, but it seemed second-rate. But, that's how it is when you are in the MAC.

Thankfully that chapter of CMU football is over. Don't ask the score.

I thought Central looked decent enough until halftime, and then it got rough from there.

Western has been extremely frustrating this year. They are really going to need to get lucky to make a bowl.

From what I saw the Chippewas should have had a better record.

They beat Northern Illinois and have some talent. More talent than the 3-9 teams of MAC conference past.

But they finish 3-9 on some bonehead end of game plays.

Same as last year they blew 3 games.

I think they go to a bowl game next year in Radcliffe's senior season.

I was very happy to have the season end also.

Cooper Rush the Lansing Community College QB should bring a lot of hype with him next year.

Rush is the next QB waiting in the wings. He should have some good running backs with Tipton and Garland.

Hopefully the defense can contribute as well.