DTroppens

The 2011 Mid-American Conference Football thread

The Chippewas trail 21-0, have benched their QB, have no offensive line, have no running game and have no positive identity right now.

Dan Enos should just stay in East Lansing after this game is over.

How about Temple destroying Maryland in Maryland? Great for the MAC. Toledo almost knocked off Syracuse in the Dome today, but lost in OT.

Buffalo is tied with UCONN in the 2nd right now.

Just finished watching the Chippewas game on ESPN360.

They played Northern Illinois and took a 17-0 lead in the first quarter. They usually led by 2-4 scores, but never put the game away, winning it 48-41. NIU recovered two onside kicks and made it interesting down the stretch.

Offensively, the Chips had an excellent day. Two people I criticize regularly - Cotton and Radcliff - had strong days. Cotton ran for 110 yards and caught four passes for 110 yards. Radcliff threw downfield and got four TD passes and 387 passing yards. Anthony Garcia ran for 62 yards. He's a freshman.

The kicking game netted seven touchbacks and two field goals (29 and 30 yards). The Chips blocked a field goal as well.

But the defense was unable to lock this game up by any stretch, but we kind of expect that from CMU defenses over the last few years.

Nice to watch the win. And for those that want to give ESPN360 a whirl, you don't have to watch the entire game. They have these arrows on the site you can click to and see all the highlights that way.

Fire UP CHIPS!!!

I was surprised to see CMU up 45-24 in the 4th quarter. Good win over Northern Illinois.

Whatever happened at the end is puzzling when you look at a normal box score. Looks like NIU recovered many onside kicks. That is just nuts. You cannot let that happen.

But 2 wins 3 losses. It appears the year may not be a disaster. Hey .500 is possible now. Win one more than you lose and get a bowl bid. Hey anything is possible. The Chips should be decent next year if Radcliffe can keep playing like he did yesterday.

Wanted to mention the success my Broncos are having. They almost beat a decent Illinois team, then go to UConn and win big. Western will be the MAC champs this year. Alex Carder throws for 479 yards, 5 touchdowns. Huge game. Jordan White is a stud at receiver.

Nice to see.

I was surprised to see CMU up 45-24 in the 4th quarter. Good win over Northern Illinois.

Whatever happened at the end is puzzling when you look at a normal box score. Looks like NIU recovered many onside kicks. That is just nuts. You cannot let that happen.

But 2 wins 3 losses. It appears the year may not be a disaster. Hey .500 is possible now. Win one more than you lose and get a bowl bid. Hey anything is possible. The Chips should be decent next year if Radcliffe can keep playing like he did yesterday.

They did recover a few onside kicks and it made it a game right until the very end - a game that they looked like they had in the bag.

Radcliff looked really good. Then again so did Paris Cotton. The thing is neither of those two have been of quality consistency throughout their careers, so it's hard to really expect to see those things in the next couple of weeks or the rest of the season. Of course, maybe Radcliff getting benched for a couple of series a week ago did him some good. It may have focused him. It was his first game since then and it was one of his best games.

The Chips certainly needed that win to get to six wins. Does six wins qualify for bowl eligibility if one of them isn't a Bowl Subdivision team? If you are allowed one of those, then the Chips do have a fighting chance at six.

NC State - not that good, but should probably beat CMU

EMU - suddenly the jury is out on this team, just how improved they are. It's hard to tell. Seems like these two teams are pretty much in the same situation.

Ball State - on the road so they'd be dogs. My sneaking suspicion is BSU is better.

Akron - Got to win this game.

Kent State - Toss up?

Ohio - Probably a loss.

Toledo - Probably a dog even at home.

If I put NC State, Ball State, Ohio and Toledo in the loss column, that gives the Chips seven losses with the Chips probably a win against Akron and a 50-50 situation with the other two. They'll need to win the three I have as wins or 50-50 and pull of at least one win among the other four. After seeing the Chips play much better against NIU, I'm more encouraged than before this weekend. I think it will be a challenge to get to six wins, but I still haven't sold into this team, really, on either side of the ball. If we see consistency against NC State, even in a loss, I might re-examine this. Right now, we're on the outside hoping to looking in.

We'll see.

BTW,

Game is on ESPN 360 on Saturday. If you can't watch it live, it's always archived and you can watch it later on. That's what I did this weekend. Great having an internet system that can actually let me watch live stuff.

Wanted to mention the success my Broncos are having. They almost beat a decent Illinois team, then go to UConn and win big. Western will be the MAC champs this year. Alex Carder throws for 479 yards, 5 touchdowns. Huge game. Jordan White is a stud at receiver.

Nice to see.

I think Western wins the division this year. White is very good.

Not only will the CMU game against North Carolina State be on 1270 AM in Detroit, it'll also be on XM 191 for those that have an XM subscription.

It'll be the NC State crew, but it's another venue to get the game.

What really looked like was going to be a step forward became a tremendous step backwards yesterday. Well, in some respects Chippewa fans can feel good but then others we were left shaking our heads.

That first half on Saturday was just a great offensive first half for the Chips, led by Radcliff. The Chips used multiple offensive formations and used multiple receivers and runners, effectively scoring two first-half TDs. The Chips darn near made it 3-for-3 possessions for TDs, but had to settle for a field goal on their third possession and led 17-14, basically because the Chips defense couldn't stop NC State at all - running the ball, passing the ball or even with special teams. It looked like it was going to be a 56-54 wacko game with the team who had the ball last as the victor.

But that all changed in the second half, at least in Radcliff's head. He made some of the most puzzling throws you'll ever see in a college football game, with several not under duress. He had picks on four of eight CMU possessions in the second half, including the opening two of the third quarter and three in the quarter. One he clearly was under pressure, but threw the ball to the middle of the field (like a dart) to avoid a sack. It was just a horrible decision as he threw it right to an NC State defender. The others, just horribly thrown balls, frequently to receivers wide open. I hate to put it on one person, but it was very easy to do watching this game (at least offensively). The defense played better after that first quarter, but still never was particularly effective. But, the Wolfpack were getting the ball on CMU's side of the field due to the picks. Plus they were on the field forever due to the picks. They even started to stop the NC running attack.

A lot looked good about the CMU offense. For a second straight game, the ground game was pretty darn impressive. Paris Cotton is starting to look like a senior that wants to end his career with a bang. Just some smart running and he's hitting holes. He's not fumbling it like he's done in the past and getting additional yardage that you just don't expect out of him. The receivers are proving to be deep and reasonably talented (at the MAC level). Courtney Williams is becoming the player you wonder about in the future, making big plays in back-to-back games. The pass protection was pretty good as well. The only mystery was a QB that had a great game last week, seemingly was showing great strides this week and then fell off the ladder in the second half for no apparent reason.

It's frustrating. It has to be frustrating to the offense. If the Chips don't see progress out of him next week and lose at EMU, they need to find another option. Even if that other option fails, you need to see answers elsewhere. Right now, Radcliff is just a bundle of frustration even on his best days. On his worst or even semi-below average days, he's just not a serviceable QB at the D1 level at all.

Buffalo knocks off Ohio. Had they not melted down and blew their game @Ball State, they'd be 2-0 in the MAC right now.

I didn't watch the CMU game until after the Tigers game Saturday night, but they showed that score during the broadcast and I was going to make a point of finding out what happened at the end and forgot to. That's a huge win.

CMU humbled by Eastern during homecoming.

Basically, the Chips are playing to become a better team for next season already.

Chips are up 17-0 and Blackburn has two TD receptions. All Ball State can do is return kickoffs. Great start. I hope CMU blows it open to 30+ before half because AM1270 is starting to fade out at my home.

The Chips blew it. Lost to Ball State.

Offense was pretty outstanding, minus those stupid turnovers. The defensive players should lose their scholarships.

Great thread! I am really impressed with Eastern the last couple of weeks. I didn't think they would beat Central, but I saw they were struggling...I REALLY didn't think they would beat Western today. I had high hopes for Coach English, then started to feel like it might not work out with him, but it looks like whatever he is preaching might be starting to pay off.

Great thread! I am really impressed with Eastern the last couple of weeks. I didn't think they would beat Central, but I saw they were struggling...I REALLY didn't think they would beat Western today. I had high hopes for Coach English, then started to feel like it might not work out with him, but it looks like whatever he is preaching might be starting to pay off.

It's cool to see Eastern actually have a football team after years of blah. Props to English for building that up...hopefully they keep winning.

It's cool to see Eastern actually have a football team after years of blah. Props to English for building that up...hopefully they keep winning.

They have been on the south side of pathetic in recent years. But they are showing some signs of life this year without a doubt.

Just a head's up, Central Michigan's game against Akron is on TV on Saturday. It should be on one of your local over-the-air TV stations.

CMU does have some talent. the freshman Garland just ripped off a 59 yard run leading to a Harmon FG which makes the score CMU 13-0 at the half. I know Akron is horrible but we do have some players in Cody Wilson and Radcliffe is getting better at QB. The Chips should be 3-6 after today with a bad Kent State team coming up next week. Too bad they blew a game or two this year or they wold be i

Wow Akron works their way back into the game as the Chippewa defense has a knack for that sort of thing. Akron goes for 2 on the last play and misses to lose 23-22. Would have been a devastating loss as it stands its not a very good win. But the running game came around. Garland had around 130 yards the last time I saw and Tipton was at least 50 yards for the game rushing.

Wow Akron works their way back into the game as the Chippewa defense has a knack for that sort of thing. Akron goes for 2 on the last play and misses to lose 23-22. Would have been a devastating loss as it stands its not a very good win. But the running game came around. Garland had around 130 yards the last time I saw and Tipton was at least 50 yards for the game rushing.

Thank God Akron went for two - the move of a stupid losing team.

I just finished watching the game.

This game didn't make me feel good about the future of Central football. Akron is one of the five worst teams in Division 1A and the Chips snuck by because their coaching staff went for two instead of the tie. Not saying the Chips would've lost in OT, but Akron should've never gone for two.

But a win is always better than a loss.

MAC ESPN WARNING!!!

I thought I'd mention that we are to that point in the season when it seems every weekday night you can turn on one of the ESPN networks and find a MAC game being played.

So if you went to a MAC school or just want to see some other football in the midwest beyond the Big 10 (even if it is weaker football), flip the stations and look around.

According to CMU's schedule, ESPN is still going to show every single one of CMU's final three games, but I wonder if some might change to ESPN3 games. That's just something I wonder might happen because that would happen in the past if other games were more attractive in the MAC. But then again, in the past the CMU schedule would say either/or when that was an option. It doesn't say that this year. So, if you are a CMU fan, this is what the next three weeks look like...

Friday - Kent State ESPN2

Nov. 10 - Ohio ESPNU

Nov. 18 - Toledo ESPNU