DTroppens

The 2011 Mid-American Conference Football thread

I'll probably be posting mostly about CMU, but I thought it made more sense to put all the MAC school talk in the same folder so we can create some decent talk among fellow MAC fans.

My next post will be CMU's football schedule. Please don't hesitate to post your MAC football schedule as well. We have a game with WMU that's pretty quick on the schedule. Hopefully we can get some talk between the schools in this thread.

Central Michigan 2011 Football Schedule

Thursday, Sept. 1 vs. South Carolina State

Saturday, Sept. 10 at Kentucky (ESPNU)

Saturday, Sept. 17 at Western Michigan* (ESPN+)

Saturday, Sept. 24 at Michigan State

Saturday, Oct. 1 vs. Northern Illinois*(ESPN360)

Saturday, Oct. 8 at North Carolina State

Saturday, Oct. 15 vs. Eastern Michigan*

Saturday, Oct. 22 at Ball State*

Saturday, Oct. 29 at Akron*(ESPN+)

Friday, Nov. 4 at Kent State* (ESPNU)

Thursday, Nov. 10 vs. Ohio* (ESPNU, 7:30 p.m.)

Friday, Nov. 18 vs. Toledo* (ESPNU)

Home games in bold.

* MAC games

What a crappy home schedule. You don't expect a great one when you go to a MAC school, but has just two Saturday game dates on their schedule. They have two weekday night games that should see temperatures in the low 40s or high 30s and attendance figures around 1,000 by the end of the game.

There's a decent chance the season will begin with a loss to a 1AA team as well. South Carolina State isn't chopped liver for a MAC school.

I have a feeling that Toledo will beat OSU, and put up a good fight against Boise. The problem for the Rockets is having them back-to-back, although Boise comes to the Glass Bowl and a highly ranked Pittsburgh team was taken down several years ago by the midnight blue and gold.

Boise comes to Toledo!?! I didn't know that.

Friday, September 16, 8pm. I may have to break my normal Friday night routine and head on out. I didn't know that myself until I heard it the other day. I assume it is a home-home series with a trip west next season, but not sure about that.

Toledo is going to have a good team this season. But these next 3 games, @ Ohio State, vs Boise, @ Syracuse, is going to be a tough stretch for them. And then I think Toledo runs the table in the MAC.

I really do think they have a good shot at beating Ohio State. I think OSU is going to struggle this season, particularly early on with Bauserman at the helm. And I have a suspicion that the Buckeyes will be loking at Miami a bit too early. If Toledo can find enough defense in that game to match OSU's likely offensive struggles, Toledo is going to leave the Shoe with a W.

Then they get Boise on short rest at home. Per Toledo's coach, they are still a bit thin in the secondary, and that may be problematic against Boise. But this is a statement game for Toledo. And Boeckman has had this team steadily building for a game like this. Crazy things have happened in the Glass Bowl before, Pitt was ranked #7 when visiting several seasons ago, and walked out with a loss. Toledo has set a record for season tickets this season, so, in spite of plenty of high school football being played in the area that night, I think the old football field is going to be busy and noisy. Granted, Boise has experience playing in bigger and better venues, but this may be a case of Boise mailing it in and Toledo jumping all over it. I would say Boise is the favorite, but would not be surprised if the Rockets pull this one out.

So after these two games comes a trip to Syracuse. I wouldn't say that's a losing proposition necessarily, but I could see a bit of a let down after the previous 2 games. I would expect a W here for the Rockets.

I'll say the Rockets go 2-1 in this stretch. I think they win @ OSU and @ Syracuse. I think they'll play tough against Boise, but Kellen Moore picks them apart enough to make it a 10 point spread. Not necessarily a loss to be disappointed about, they just happen to be outmanned.

21-6, Central defeats South Carolina State.

Beyond the winning result, from what I see from the box score (and a couple of articles seem to prove it out), this wasn't the world's most encouraging result.

The Chippewas offense struggled mightily minus two big plays. Radcliffe showed little improvement from what was a pretty poor season last year. Honestly, I was hoping the Chippewas had someone who could challenge him for the starting spot to get him out of that role. It's sad that they had no one who could accomplish that task.

It's nice to see Paris Cotton has been surpassed, but it doesn't look like an improved running game without him there.

The defense - two field goals. I think it was 10 or 11 first downs allowed as SCSU couldn't produce anything offensively consistently. That's encouraging. But that said, this was a 1AA team and I would hope they would've been effective. Again, though, this was probably a team if Central played them 10 times, would beat CMU 2-3 times.

I'm not encouraged. I was hoping 6-6 was possible but I'm thinking that may have been optimistic, unless the defense really is as good as the statistics show. My guess is it won't remain that effective and the offense will only be weaker vs. stronger opponents.

I wonder what the Chips have done to create this offense in the identity they want it to be. It sounds like they still look like a spread team trying to play a system they are not suitable for. Compounding matters, it doesn't look like they've figured out an answer to the weak ground attack.

MAC scoreboard Week #1

Thursday games

Bowling Green 32, Idaho 15

Central Michigan 21, South Carolina State 6

Toledo 58, New Hampshire 22

Temple 42, Villanova 7

Saturday games

Ohio 44, New Mexico State 24

Ball State 27, Indiana 20

Northern Illinois 49, Army 26

Pittsburgh 35, Buffalo 16

Michigan 34, Western Michigan 10

Alabama 48, Kent State 7

Missouri 17, Miami (Oh) 6

Ohio State 42, Akron 0

Big win of the week has to be Ball State's win against Indiana.

Week #2 for the MAC

Central Michigan at Kentucky 12:00 PM ESPNU

Toledo at Ohio St. 12:00 PM Big Ten Network

Alabama St. at E. Michigan 1:00 PM

Temple at Akron 6:00 PM ESPN3

Stony Brook at Buffalo 6:00 PM

Morgan St. at Bowling Green 7:00 PM BCSN/ESPN3

Louisiana-Lafayette at Kent St. 7:00 PM

Gardner-Webb at Ohio 7:00 PM

Nicholls St. at W. Michigan 7:00 PM

Northern Illinois at Kansas 7:00 PM FOX College

Ball St. at USF 7:00 PM ESPN3

I won't be able to watch CMU live, so I'll be taping the game and watching it later. Either that or I'm sure the game will be on ESPN360 as well, so I can watch it there. I expect to see a 35-7 score or something like that. Maybe even a bit worse.

But, you never know....

FIRE UP CHIPS!!!

Friday, September 16, 8pm. I may have to break my normal Friday night routine and head on out. I didn't know that myself until I heard it the other day. I assume it is a home-home series with a trip west next season, but not sure about that.

You're correct, but the home and home started last year when Toledo went to Boise and lost (off the top off my head) like, 58 to 14. Hoping this year it will be more like BS 58 - UT 49 :nervous:

You're correct, but the home and home started last year when Toledo went to Boise and lost (off the top off my head) like, 58 to 14. Hoping this year it will be more like BS 58 - UT 49 :nervous:

I must've been on Mars for that one last year. Don't remember that at all. But clearly the Rockets softened up Boise enough that they ended up stumbling at Nevada down the stretch.

CMU leading Kentucky 13-6 at the half.

That would be a pretty mild upset. I believe the Wildcats were favored by 7 or 8 points.

I hope the Chips can hold on as that would be a big win for coach Enos.

I cannot get the CMU game on tv or computer so I looked it up on gamecast.

CMU was dominating in the stats so I wondered how they were losing.

Then I noticed the Chips were up 13-6 with 5 left in the 3rd quarter and Coach Enos went for it on 4th and 1 from the Chips own 34 yard line WTF? They did not get the 1st down and Kentucky scored from 34 yards on the very next play. Then CMU gained nothing and Kentucky scored the next posession on an 87 yard TD run to make it 20-13 Wildcats. Now Kentucky has scored again on a 4th and 1 TD run. It is 27-13 thanks alot Enos the Penos.

Have your brother-in-law drive you in a car with no brakes to a sports bar with satellite TV.

Sorry, couldn't resist, dude.

CMU was dominating in the stats so I wondered how they were losing.

Then I noticed the Chips were up 13-6 with 5 left in the 3rd quarter and Coach Enos went for it on 4th and 1 from the Chips own 34 yard line WTF? They did not get the 1st down and Kentucky scored from 34 yards on the very next play. Then CMU gained nothing and Kentucky scored the next posession on an 87 yard TD run to make it 20-13 Wildcats. Now Kentucky has scored again on a 4th and 1 TD run. It is 27-13 thanks alot Enos the Penos.

I recorded the game and just finished watching it. I didn't know the results. It's pretty easy to avoid a CMU score.

The play you were talking about had to be one of the dumbest calls I've seen by a coach in a long time. You make the first down - big whip-de-doo. You are still 60+ yards from a TD and still probably 45+ away from feeling comfortable with a field goal with our kicking game. It accomplishes nothing. And there were plenty of plays where the running game was flat out stuffed. It was only about a foot they needed to get, so I understand the emotional tug, but you have to kick the ball. You are up by seven. Kentucky's offense wasn't doing much at all. No one goes for that first down. At the very least, if you do, go for the QB sneak, but they didn't. Apparently that play isn't in Enos' arsenal. Apparently, neither is the hurry-up offense when down by two scores with 5 minutes left.

The offense scored on its first three possessions controlling the ball impressively. Radcliff's first half may have been his best half of football since starting. Jerry Harris had a nice game. The Chippewas have no running game once again.

The defense played reasonably well, but Kentucky was playing with a few new linemen who were freshmen and that showed. Kentucky is a really bad offensive football team. Minus the 87-yard TD play and a couple of runs by the Kentucky QB, the Wildcats weren't effective running the ball for most of the game.

It's frustrating to call stuff moral victories. I'm sure Toledo fans aren't thinking moral victories right now (I just saw the final score of that game and saw some scoring updates during the telecast). This game was there for the taking, but the Chips didn't get it, and Enos made a stupid stupid stupid call that didn't help matters. The game was never the same after that failed fourth-down call.

On a total side note that won't matter to anyone else, this CMU schedule really stinks for me in terms of going to a game. I've been going to at least three games a season for quite awhile now. The LeFevour era made it easy to do that, but even if LeFevour was around, I don't think I'd be going to more than two games this year.

Thursday, Sept. 1 vs. South Carolina State (had to work)

Saturday, Sept. 10 at Kentucky (had to work until midnight Friday night and had a reception I had to go to)

Saturday, Sept. 17 at Western Michigan* (Have to go to a 5K run, making this a tough game to go to. Plus, I think it's an early start. If it started around 6 p.m, it would've been doable.)

Saturday, Sept. 24 at Michigan State (A possibility, but CMU has ZERO chance and it'll be on the Big 10 Network)

Saturday, Oct. 1 vs. Northern Illinois* (I have to play in a volleyball tournament I committed to about a month ago)

Saturday, Oct. 8 at North Carolina State (distance, have to work midnight on Friday)

Saturday, Oct. 15 vs. Eastern Michigan - Yup, it looks like I'll be going to this one for sure.

Saturday, Oct. 22 at Ball State (Never been to Ball State, so it's possible)

Saturday, Oct. 29 at Akron* (Possible, but our volleyball group has its Halloween party on that day. I missed it last year because of a high school playoff game in Midland, so I have to go this year.)

Friday, Nov. 4 at Kent State* (High school football, distance)

Thursday, Nov. 10 vs. Ohio* (possible, but no one will go on this date)

Friday, Nov. 18 vs. Toledo* (Have to go to a football game).

It looks like one game for sure with the possibility of going to the home game against Ohio - a game I'm sure I won't be able to con anyone to go to.

I really wanted to go to the Kentucky game. We go to Kentucky a lot. If it was a 7 p.m. game or something like that, we would've gone. But getting out of work at midnight, getting up super early for a noon game. It would've been Hell. Plus, we had to go to the reception anyway.

Dan Enos is officially on my "get out of Mt. Pleasant, please" list.

The more I think about that play

fourth-and-1 from you own 35 in the third quarter, leading an SEC team by seven at their place and going for the first down - the more ticked I get.

That's not a good play at any level of football. It's a gimmie call. Okay, have that initial "urge" inside you that says "Let's get this thing," but let it last 1/2 second and send the punting unit out there. What do you really accomplish if you get two yards and are at the 37? You are still at least 40 yards from a field goal with CMU's lousy kicking game. What happens if you miss it? You put a Kentucky offense that did nothing all game long at its own 35 with a great chance to tie the game.

This is a gimmie. Punt it, get mad because Kentucky gets it at the 20, but make them drive 80 yards after doing nothing all game long.

Coaches are supposed to put their teams in their best position to win a game - not their worst. Enos and his coaching staff did just that. Put them in their worst position to win a game on what may have been the most obvious call to make all game long.

I want him out of Mt. Pleasant.

Central Michigan at Western Michigan this weekend!

So let's get a list of Chippewas fans and a list of Bronco fans going!

The game will be on ESPN+, which usually means your local ABC afliate, at noon!

The Central at MSU game will be televised on one of the ESPN networks at noon on the date it's scheduled. It hasn't been decided which ESPN network station yet, but it'll be either ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU.

Western putting a whipping on Central

21-0.

I didn't expect CMU to win this, and being down 21-0 in the first, I'd be shocked if they even get this game back to under 10 points anytime during the game. I hope I'm wrong. I hope some of this fire that the Broncos have that the Chippewas don't have (how you don't have it for your ultimate rivals, I don't know) is reversed, but I don't see it happening.

Very little positive has happened since the LeFevour/Brown era ended and Enos became the coach.

I can't believe we still have the same garbage field goal kicker from last year. I could hold kicker tryouts next weekend and find someone better than Harmon.

At least Enos won't leave us for a bigger program like the last several Chippewa coaches have done.

Radcliff has happy feet. The running game had some success. Cody Wilson is a good WR.

But I don't see much talent with this team right now.

I know Carder on WMU is a beast. Hopefully the Chips can win half their MAC games.

I would consider that a success.

The running game is a disaster. The fact that Cotton still finds time on the field bears that out. They had two very long gains in the final couple minutes of that game. Beyond that, they didn't do much. Radcliff had a few really big plays up top to make and failed to make them. However, early on, his receivers dropped a few balls that could've been big plays as well.

There's part of me that says let's give Enos through next season. His players he's brought in are only freshmen and, possibly, sophomores. But he's converted the offense and has made it a worse product.

The defense has had its moments. It played outstanding against Kentucky for a good chunk of the game last week. But today the defense did NOTHING, minus those two turnovers. It can't stop the run and matches that ability by looking totally lost against the pass, frequently throwing players down on passes downfield for their best line of "defense."

The kicking game, phew.

It's just not a good team, and I don't see a defined strength on it. I don't see a unit that I'd consider above average, or even average in the MAC, much less in the nation. Like I said earlier, Enos probably deserves another year, but to this point I have no clue what his vision is with this team. Even with teams that struggle (for example RichRod at U-M), you can at least see what the staff wants their team to be. Right now, one year and three games into the Enos era I have no clue what he wants this team to be. That's not encouraging.