lionstigersand...

3 Jeers to the mods...

Coming from New England, I always get a kick out of midwest fans and their football teams. We don't get the same attachment to college football teams here. There's nothing wrong with it. We certainly have it at ridiculous levels at the professional sports level. It's just that Vermont versus Tufts University doesn't create the same passion as Michigan versus MSU.

Oh shuddup ya Chowd.

Coming from New England, I always get a kick out of midwest fans and their football teams. We don't get the same attachment to college football teams here. There's nothing wrong with it. We certainly have it at ridiculous levels at the professional sports level. It's just that Vermont versus Tufts University doesn't create the same passion as Michigan versus MSU.

I think varying passion says a lot about how people ultimately view their college team and the specific emotions that arise therefrom. There is really no reason that fans of tufts or Vermont shouldn't feel the same level of passion. In the end, it's your team. So why do we care more? I think it comes down to ego. When you support a big ten program or similar big time college football team, your team is mentioned and discussed more often by others. When the team succeeds, it feels like you succeed. When the team fails, it feels like you failed. What puts us over the edge is the elevated coverage. Any slights against the program are taken personally. It's like someone insulting your kid or another close family member. For some reason, professional sports don't seem to have that same effect, at least not to me. I'm not sure any of that made sense. It all comes down to media coverage. The more good talk the more it builds you up. The more bad talk the more it brings you down. I think it's great.

As an OSU fan I hope UM stays down in the dumps forever

I must humbly disagree with you. I think things are optimal when both schools have good programs. I'll gladly take more 11-0 vs 11-0 matchups. I know its not the conventional thinking in a rivalry, but I'm not so sure there is as much of a rivalry if one team is clearly above and beyond the other team for an extended period of time. I'm not saying I would be happy with signing up for a few more losses against UM (oh hell no I am not), but I have found it disappointing to see the level of play that the school up north has been dishing out the past few seasons. I'll admit, I thought it funny when the losses against Appalachian State and Toledo happened, and then a losing record for one season. But I don't think its good for the rivalry, the conference, or college football as a whole for either of those two teams to endure a sustained period of mediocrity.

I find this interesting given the current landscape in college football of expanding conferences and the rumors of the Big Ten wanting to add Rutgers to add the New York / New England television markets. Perhaps these are seperate markets when it comes to college football, I don't know how all of that works.

Also, I see that UMass has joined the MAC as a football team in one of the upcoming seasons. You will soon be infused with the midwest college football idiotocracy that seems foreign to you, if only on a smaller basis.

I must humbly disagree with you. I think things are optimal when both schools have good programs. I'll gladly take more 11-0 vs 11-0 matchups. I know its not the conventional thinking in a rivalry, but I'm not so sure there is as much of a rivalry if one team is clearly above and beyond the other team for an extended period of time. I'm not saying I would be happy with signing up for a few more losses against UM (oh hell no I am not), but I have found it disappointing to see the level of play that the school up north has been dishing out the past few seasons. I'll admit, I thought it funny when the losses against Appalachian State and Toledo happened, and then a losing record for one season. But I don't think its good for the rivalry, the conference, or college football as a whole for either of those two teams to endure a sustained period of mediocrity.

I should be clear, by down in the dumps I mostly mean they never beat OSU ever again (which, realistically just isn't going to happen). I'd much prefer they were a competitive B10 team while losing to OSU each and every year.

I should be clear, by down in the dumps I mostly mean they never beat OSU ever again (which, realistically just isn't going to happen). I'd much prefer they were a competitive B10 team while losing to OSU each and every year.

OK, that works for me, too.

I am officially taking a hiatus from the site, so I hope everyone enjoys the college football season!

The Michigan forum is going to need someone to make the game threads, and I knew Deleterious mentioned wanting to take a break, after the long ... very long ... Detroit Pistons season, though he said he'd do it if someone else didn't want to. Anyway, it's been fun and entertaining over the years -- ever since I left and stayed down south, and I enjoyed posting back and forth with almost everyone here, especially guys like D'Train, lesgoblu, LTA, Hongbit, and the late Sportz .. who was so misunderstood, but .. hey, aren't we all:)

EDIT: oh, and thanks to all the guys in the Tiger forum, you have made watching baseball so much more fun. The knowledge that forum has, hands down, is the best group of people to learn the game of baseball with.

PEACE!

Edited by JonBenke

I am going to pick up the slack benke's leaving behind by taking over the awesome responsibilities of creating the Michigan game thr...Oh. :wink:

Even if it involves me taking a chubby...I will suck it up!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

I don't think you are talking tonyouaelf because of the separate forums or the forum specific bans.

The las two site updates have made it difficult to keep up with ongoing conversations. I read the tigers board for the most part and don't go hunting around in the other forums to see what topics are updated. The last version of the site would keep a lot of recently updated threads, so if a non tigers thread is active, I would see it. The new sidebar shows two things are relatively useless. A list of the newest threads, including stuff from the bar an grill/political forums? A sidebar showing the six most recent posts, including a preview of the post, that is always a few minutes behind? .

FWIW, I agree with this. It has made the site less navigable, and more dependent on my actively clicking on stuff in different forums. I wish that could be fixed. I realize this is off-topic, but it's the only place I've seen it mentioned.

Rob

I liked Benke a lot. He was a passionate fan who posted a lot of positive stuff. Because of that, he took a lot of grief from posters who knew they could wind him up easily.

I like the new separation of forums. You can ***** all you want about how it was all in fun, but the back and forth between Benke and his antagonists made the forum unreadable for the rest of us.

Benke was released? couldn't we have gotten something for him in a TRADE?

I actually liked Benke. I always got a kick out of his off-season trade talk on the Tigers board. I didn't follow what was going on over here, so I can't comment on that.

Who's that guy? ========> :chinese: Seriously, who's that guy?

I liked Benke a lot. He was a passionate fan who posted a lot of positive stuff. Because of that, he took a lot of grief from posters who knew they could wind him up easily.

I like the new separation of forums. You can ***** all you want about how it was all in fun, but the back and forth between Benke and his antagonists made the forum unreadable for the rest of us.

Agreed 100%. New format should eliminate this problem hopefully.

Thats fine in theory, but new style leaves a dead college forum, it used to be one of my most viewed forums, now there is no point. No one posts. The old saying "dont fix it if it aint broken" fits pretty nice here.

In this case, nothing is not better than something.

Thats fine in theory, but new style leaves a dead college forum, it used to be one of my most viewed forums, now there is no point. No one posts. The old saying "dont fix it if it aint broken" fits pretty nice here.

yeah - Benke could be difficult if you got into a 'discussion' with him, but it was working for me that he was a one man RSS machine for UM stuff. I'll miss that convenience.

It wasn't dead as long as Benke was posting.

Not having Hongbit, LTA, MSUBrian and others constantly poking Benke in the eye just to get him to respond was fine with me. It made for boring ********.

Not having Hongbit, MSUBrian and others constantly poking Benke in the eye just to get him to respond was fine with me. It made for boring ********.

There is no doubt that they baited him, problem is he couldn't just ignore it.

There is no doubt that they baited him, problem is he couldn't just ignore it.

I think that - if there was a problem - it was with the baiting.

Agreed. I read his farewell post but didn't realize that was or may have been a forced goodbye.

Having hosted a few other forums (political) I learned who and what gives them life...and it's not those who crouch in the weeds waiting to snipe and/or complain.

I think that's mostly bunk. Look, I'm not going to assign intent or motivation to other posters...But you could count on one hand the number of times I made a post with the intention of "baiting" jbenke into anything! To be perfectly blunt, I couldn't have given two ***** as to the originator of the content, it was almost always the content itself I took issue with. The reason benke found himself at the center of some of my posts was three fold: 1, he was in the forum ALL THE TIME; 2, he posted a number of things that were at best, debatable (at worst, just ridiculous), and lastly, he simply could not abide any criticism of Michigan Football, regardless of its legitimacy.

All of that said, I'm disappointed to see him go (and didn't think his post merited it - assuming that was his "final straw" ), and still appreciate his clearly immense level of fandom.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Not having Hongbit, LTA, MSUBrian and others constantly poking Benke in the eye just to get him to respond was fine with me. It made for boring ********.

I agree with your very first sentence. Everything else is inflammatory. I feel bad that Jon is gone for good although I think the initial idea of taking some time away was a good idea.

The problem isn't me, Buddha. I'm the same guy that you've told forever is a tired, one trick pony who needs a new shtick. I haven't changed. I'm not the reason you've probably spent more time the past two years in the soccer thread than you have over here. We both know exactly what's changed and the real reason the UM fans are so charged and easily agitated. This forum never used to have these problems and it was much more volatile back then with far more personal attacks.