JonBenke

GAME #1: Western Michigan @ Michigan

They're actually adjusting to what the other team is doing on offense.

And when we're on offense, you can see how they can do a lot of different things: pro offense, spread, shotgun. Very versatile.

Worried about Denard's accuracy, but whatever, it's raining and Michigan is ripping them up on the ground.

First thing I noticed also. Was the coaching that bad last year... good greif

The lost quarter could really hurt Brandon Herron's heisman chances.

It's weird, for a split second, I so thought that was Ray Lewis. Nice game.

I was extremely concerned about the defense after the initial couple of drives but when I saw the adjustments made and Carder hammered, I remembered that UM now actually has a defensive coordinator. I'm disappointed about eh final quarter, was hoping to see the backups shine.

I'm disappointed about eh final quarter, was hoping to see the backups shine.

I'm not. We got enough work in to be prepared for Notre Dame, and our offense didn't show much at all.

I am about to watch the game again, but I saw who I expected to see, from the two deep, to be happy.

yeah a bit of a letdown waiting this long and then not getting to see a whole game.

defense was at least put into position to fight. something we haven't seen in a while. so coaching has improved, but it concerns me that we had to go to blitzes to get any kind of pressure. against western michigan. but then again mattison i'm sure has enough blitzes and wrinkles in his back pocket notre dame and other tougher opponents.

offense didn't come close to a turnover, denard looked like the veteran he is now.

can't wait to see more as the season goes along.

Apparently Woolfolk was lobbying to get back in, so hopefully we see him next week. The secondary is probably the unit of most concern after this one.

Imo, the big change is that while the defense still looks horrible, they look like a horrible defense that can occasionally make a play. I'll take that over horrible and dropping 8 into coverage every play. Seems like a good sign we finally have defensive coaches who have some idea what they're doing.

Apparently Woolfolk was lobbying to get back in, so hopefully we see him next week. The secondary is probably the unit of most concern after this one.

I'm frightened to see our backfield without him in it!!! I still think Western had too much ease with the backfield early on in the game to make me feel comfortable about the unit as a whole, even with Woolfolk playing.

My #1 happy thought about this game. Our coordinators made correct adjustments. I think Calvin Mcgee knew how to do that last year but GROB didn't.

The noise factor was decisive. Kudos to the designers of the luxury boxes. Thank you bloated plutocrats for demanding luxury boxes to fete your oligarch friends.

Denard wasn't crisp as a passer but we ran the ball well.

Just some thoughts on the game:

1. As most people here know, I was not that excited about the Hoke hire but I have kept my mouth shut and will give him 4-5 years to prove what he is capable of. One thing that I am already pleased with is the hires he has made on his staff. I think that was the one thing that really tripped up Rich Rod at Michigan. Hoke seems to realize what he is not and has surrounded himself with a solid staff to make up for that. So props to him for that right off the bat.

2. We didn't get to see much of the offense because of the shortened gme and limited possesions but I am pleasently surpirsed so far by what Al Borges has done. He has shown a willingess to go outside of his comfort zone and use the players we have the way they are best suited to be used while still establishing a lot of the offense him and hoke wanted to bring to Michigan. THe offense did not need to be tweaked much because it returns a ton of starters and wa one of the best in the country last year. I think we ran the majority of our plays out of the shot gun and spred the field out to get our athletes in space. I am sure we didn't show the full book yet either so I am curious to see more. I am happy with what I have seen so far.

3. The defense is still bad but you can tell it is under much better leadership. We still have a lot of holes but at least we are not dropping 8 and getting torched. I like that we are willing to bring pressure and make some adjustments mid game.

Next week will be the real test to see where this team is at. I know Notre Dame looked really bad this week but they are a talented team none the less an will come out with a chip on their shoulders next week.Should be fun.

I finally got a chance to watch the game last night. I was impressed with how the defense played. Holding western to 10 points in three quarters was nice. Yeah, we got two turnovers that became defensive touchdowns, but those were still stops. The opening drive had me worried, but we adjusted. On offense, denard was still denard. Looked like they ran a lot of plays similar to last year's. I thought denard looked pretty good throwing the ball. I thought Fitzgerald and shaw both had nice games. Not a lot to complain about. The game against ND will be much more interesting. Looking forward to it.

I finally got a chance to watch the game last night. I was impressed with how the defense played. Holding western to 10 points in three quarters was nice. Yeah, we got two turnovers that became defensive touchdowns, but those were still stops. The opening drive had me worried, but we adjusted. On offense, denard was still denard. Looked like they ran a lot of plays similar to last year's. I thought denard looked pretty good throwing the ball. I thought Fitzgerald and shaw both had nice games. Not a lot to complain about. The game against ND will be much more interesting. Looking forward to it.

I'm really nervous about ND this year. They literally GAVE the game away against USF. They moved the ball well, but turned it over at the worst times. They may just be a sleeping giant, and a loss could have just shocked them into reality. I'm excitingly nervous, and hope our defense continues to improve and our offense returns to greatness.

I was already worried about ND and I do not like them with their backs against the wall. We will have to play much better, especially on offense, to beat them.

I thought the offense looked great. What did they have? Four full possessions and three touchdowns? And they were driving for a likely score on the fifth before the game was called.