sbcaptain2

College Football Week 1 Thread

My opinion doesnt mstter, but the mich defense never looked good to me. As soon as a team learns to throw a slant pass, those maddeb style all out blitzes every down just arent going to work.

My opinion doesnt mstter, but the mich defense never looked good to me. As soon as a team learns to throw a slant pass, those maddeb style all out blitzes every down just arent going to work.

I only got to see the first series by both teams so not sure if it lasted all game, but it seemed that Michigan was playing really soft and not sure what was going on, with Western swarming to the ball.

Ohio St. looks very meh. Yes, they are up 21 at half, but they don't look as athletic as past seasons. It helps that Akron is terrible.

Not sure what to make of it. Should have had another 10 points as they fumbled inside the 5 on one drive and lost the ball and then missed 2 makeable FG attempts one right after another (penalty). Bauserman looked better than expected. The running game looked better than expected at times. But this was against Akron, so who knows. I guess I feel a little bit more confident that they can defend against Toledo and take care of business in Miami, but its guarded optimism.

Edit: I'm ready for the Nike special uniforms to be done. Those helmets that Georgia & Boise wore were just a bit too ugly.

Edited by Casimir

Maybe you should worry more about your own team, and their own glaring problems.

Maybe you should worry more about your own team, and their own glaring problems.

Thank you for adding to this conversation...

I'm not sure what this means, but okay .. not sure if that was in anyway "out of line" :paranoid:

Oh, and it appears as if Mark Richt may be coaching his final year in Athens ... sad, if true.

The mods said they would deal with this when it happened, so just let it run its course.

As for your previous comment, i do think michigans D looked better after that first series. They were getting pressure and forcing turnovers. I think once they get more depth, that style is going to be effective, bc theyll be able to get pressure without blitzing with the safety an everything else. I think part of it was also an inability of wmu to adjust- they kept trying to throw fade passes to the sideline, rather than attack where the blitzer was coming from.

Any word on woolfolk's injury?

Any word on woolfolk's injury?

In the post-game press conference, Hoke said he could have gone back in if the game started again.

Brian Kelly, damn good football mind...But that guy is a Grade A prick.

For those that don't know, TJ Jones (a freshman that received a great deal of Kelly's ire yesterday) apparently had suffered a concussion on the Rees pass that hit him in the helmet. Additionally, Jones' father (a former Irish player) who passed away this summer, was honored prior to the game...Needless to say, there was a good deal of family and friends in attendance...Classy Brian. Classy.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

For those that don't know, TJ Jones (a freshman that received a great deal of Kelly's ire yesterday) apparently had suffered a concussion on the Rees pass that hit him in the helmet. Additionally, Jones' father (a former Irish player) who passed away this summer, was honored prior to the game...Needless to say, there was a good deal of family and friends in attendance...Classy Brian. Classy.

I didn't know this. Watching Kelly yesterday made me sick, he looked like an abuser, not an angry coach. Reading this just makes it all that much worse.

I'm a pretty good lip reader.....and I could of swore that Brian Kelly called him a dumb ***.....and if he would have been watching the quarterback......his stupid ****ing *** would have seen the ball and wouldn't have ****ing gotten himself a ****ing concussion. Now get off the ****ing field you piece of ****.

The Spokane area is now overrun with Washington State fans going crazy over their home blowout of Idaho State.

They are truly a program that is a mess. They are lucky they didn't play Eastern Washington who took U of Washington to the wire and only lost due to a last minute interception.

I only got to see the first series by both teams so not sure if it lasted all game, but it seemed that Michigan was playing really soft and not sure what was going on, with Western swarming to the ball.

That didn't hold up, but Michigan did need blitzing to bring pressure. Once they start taking on better offensive lines or more mobile QBs that will be a problem. It's going to be a work in progress. On the other hand, at least they did make in game adjustments better than they have in years. The ND game is going to be interesting.

Yeah the slant option crossed my mind as well. A bit easier to complete than a streak. But I fully expect Mattison to have more of what looks like all-out-blitz and then have a LB or someone drop back into one of the passing lanes. Like he did with Kovacs in 3Q.

That didn't hold up, but Michigan did need blitzing to bring pressure. Once they start taking on better offensive lines or more mobile QBs that will be a problem. It's going to be a work in progress. On the other hand, at least they did make in game adjustments better than they have in years. The ND game is going to be interesting.

The first couple drives or so the pass rush wasn't instant but the QB had guys open. I think they were playing zone and guys were missing assignments/not effective playing the zone. Someone tweeted that at some point after that they went with Robinson over Johnson (too many new numbers for me to tell who was who watching). But yeah the zone defending was horrible last year as well, but I think if they get Woolfolk back and go more man, he and Avery ought to be decent with that. Well, decent against anybody but Michael Floyd. But hopefully it's just a matter of first game jitters / getting the correct personnel in.

Big East in 2012. At which point Buddha's post will still apply....MWC to Big East is almost a lateral move!

No it's not, but most people think it is and perception seems to trump reality most of the time. The MWC had a strong group of top teams and the rest are simply not very good. The Big East has no one that is great and no one that compares to the bottom half of the MWC (with the exception of Syracuse recently). If you are one of the few top teams in the MWC going undefeated is much easier than it is in the Big East.

No it's not, but most people think it is and perception seems to trump reality most of the time. The MWC had a strong group of top teams and the rest are simply not very good. The Big East has no one that is great and no one that compares to the bottom half of the MWC (with the exception of Syracuse recently). If you are one of the few top teams in the MWC going undefeated is much easier than it is in the Big East.

I understand your point to a degree, but did the Big East even have a legit top 30 team in its conference last year? Did anyone in that league beat anyone of any merit last year outside its own league? There may have been no New Mexicos in the Big East last year, but there were no TCUs or Utahs either. And there was a good middle belly of teams that you had to "show up" to beat.

That's all the top of the Big East had last year - teams that you had to "show up" to beat. If I had was the third-best team hoping to sneak out of one of those conferences undefeated or with just one loss, I would've much rather been in the Big East. Maybe the bottom three teams would be tougher than those in the Moutain West, but you will never run into anything like the top two teams in that conference.

Really, it's a scenario of picking your own medicine. Both conferences had different ways of getting to the same level, but overall figuring out which conference was better was pretty much a wash.

I'm looking at the Sagarin ratings. The Big East was rated better, but also didn't get a win against any top 30 teams in the NCAA last year. The Mountain West had four wins against top 30 foes, but, of course, TCU had three of them. These leagues were pretty much the "same" but in different ways.

I understand your point to a degree, but did the Big East even have a legit top 30 team in its conference last year? Did anyone in that league beat anyone of any merit last year outside its own league? There may have been no New Mexicos in the Big East last year, but there were no TCUs or Utahs either. And there was a good middle belly of teams that you had to "show up" to beat.

That's all the top of the Big East had last year - teams that you had to "show up" to beat. If I had was the third-best team hoping to sneak out of one of those conferences undefeated or with just one loss, I would've much rather been in the Big East. Maybe the bottom three teams would be tougher than those in the Moutain West, but you will never run into anything like the top two teams in that conference.

Really, it's a scenario of picking your own medicine. Both conferences had different ways of getting to the same level, but overall figuring out which conference was better was pretty much a wash.

I'm looking at the Sagarin ratings. The Big East was rated better, but also didn't get a win against any top 30 teams in the NCAA last year. The Mountain West had four wins against top 30 foes, but, of course, TCU had three of them. These leagues were pretty much the "same" but in different ways.

I agree, there were no TCU's in the BE. TCU would have won the Big East and may have even run the table (they cerainly would have been heavily favored in every game). However, they had multiple Utah's. Pittsburgh (took Utah to overtime) and WVU in particular were just as good as Utah and neither won the Big East (they were probably the two best teams in the BE though UConn was probably 4th or 5th but the difference between the top and bottom just wasn't that large). Air Force and BYU also should have been competitive in the Big East.

And this was the worst year the Big East has had since the year after half the conference left (and one of the best the MWC has had in that time frame, though I think the MWC was better in 2009). It might be a lateral move if San Diego State made the move, but TCU is the class of the MWC and taking them out of the conference essentially killed the conference (bringing Boise St in almost saved it, then Utah and BYU left and after this year it's Boise St. and not much else. I'd definitely take the conference with TCU, Boise St., Utah, Air Force, and BYU over the current Big East, but that's not really an option anymore).