Auburndale Ray

What is the best ending to a movie, ever???

Changing gears, I liked the ending of Memento as well.

Good call! One of my favorite movies, period.

---

I like the ending to One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. Very emotional.

Because it's the only ending of a movie that ever caused me to have a nightmre, I'll add Talk Radio.

Because of the way it ended, it made me wish I could immediately start watching the sequel (which obviously won't happen until next July), I'll add The Dark Knight.

---

Anyone ever see the original intended ending of Clerks (which is one of the extra features on the DVD)? On the version of the DVD I used to have, Kevin Smith introduces it by saying that someone advised that he cut it, and he was glad that he did, because it was so out of character with the rest of the moive. That's an understatement. It would've totally changed the entire context of the movie, in my opinion, if it had been left in.

Boogie Nights.

I am a star. I'm a star, I'm a star, I'm a star. I am a big, bright, shining star. That's right.

Pathetic and heartbreaking.

Pierre Boulle who wrote Planet of the Apes and Bridge of the River Kwai...both movies have good endings.

Boulle must have been pretty racist...probably against the Japanese considering his history btw.

The Usual Suspects is the first I thought of. I also liked the ending to Fight Club.

The ending to The Blair Witch Project had me going "huh?" in a surprised way.

And, for sentimental reasons, Star Wars IV.

Planet of the Apes was such a good choice. I remember seeing it in the theater when I was in junior high, and when the Statue of Liberty came into view the entire audience gasped. So unexpected.

Some of my favorites:

Best Years of Our Lives: Because no one says a word through most of it. No need to.

It's a Wonderful Life: Remember, George: no man is a failure who has friends.

Someone already mentioned Chinatown

Das Boot: Irony piled on irony.

The Conversation: "chilling" only begins to describe Harry Caul alone in his apartment with his saxophone.

Se7en....

Are spoilers necessary? If so...

any movie where Gwyneth gets her head chopped off is ok with me.... can't stand her.

Casblanca had a fantastic ending. But it's not the beautiful friendship line. That line only worked because of a line before it.

"Major Strasser's been shot. Round up the usual suspects."

...Some Like it Hot Jack Lemmon reveals his true self taking off the wig and shouting "I'm a man" to Joe E Brown. The reply "Nobody's perfect"...

This was my first thought...just didn't see it coming.

qWS2NVX6VP0

Also, the end of Sunset Boulevard. It was so grandiose despite the circumstance.

SA9lFsiut2Q

Because of the way it ended, it made me wish I could immediately start watching the sequel (which obviously won't happen until next July), I'll add The Dark Knight.

---

Anyone ever see the original intended ending of Clerks (which is one of the extra features on the DVD)? On the version of the DVD I used to have, Kevin Smith introduces it by saying that someone advised that he cut it, and he was glad that he did, because it was so out of character with the rest of the moive. That's an understatement. It would've totally changed the entire context of the movie, in my opinion, if it had been left in.

I liked the ending for Batman Begins more than The Dark Knight, just because I personally feel like it built more hype. When I saw Gordon hand him the evidence bag, and he flips it over to reveal the Joker card, I remember thinking, "Hell yeah!" At the end of The Dark Knight, I just didn't have that same feeling.

I saw the Clerks ending you're talking about as well, and I'm pretty sure Kevin Smith had said at some point that the only reason he even shot that scene was because he wasn't sure how to end the movie. Thankfully, that ending didn't stick...

The original Night of the Living Dead.

Everyone dies, and the lone guy that survives, gets shot by the cops. So dark.

and for something a little more serious...

of all the korean revenge movies, oldboy has the most devastating ending ever. holy crap.

oldboy.jpg

The ending to this is.. just.. wow.

I'm so not giving the ending away. Its one of those spoilers that just can't be given away.

The ending to this is.. just.. wow.

I'm so not giving the ending away. Its one of those spoilers that just can't be given away.

The ending to Sympathy For Mrs. Vengeance is pretty good, too.