mr0zip0

Justin Verlander Triple Crown Watch 2011

Weaver is now at 2.39. Verlander is at 2.34.

Thanks. If Weaver pitches scoreless innings 3 through 7 tonight, he'd lower it back to 2.33

Weaver has 49 pitches through two innings and has given up 3 ER, 5 hits, and 1 BB. I don't think he is going to go too deep in this one.

I think if Weaver gives up one more run, he could finish with a better ERA than Verlander.

By my math (admittedly could be off), if he gives up 1 more run, even if he goes a full 9 innings he'd still have a 2.35 ERA.

Weaver looks like hot garbage tonight. I think Justin's got the triple crown in the bag.

EDIT: Yeah, we can just go ahead and schedule the triple-coronation.

Edited by AtemHutlrt

Bases clearing double. 6 ER in 3.1 IP so far.

I think Verlander is good, unless they go into extra innings and Weaver pitches all 16 innings :)

It’s way, way too early to say this, but I’ll throw it out there now. I’d say Nolan Ryan threw harder than any starting pitcher in major league history. Unless Walter Johnson did. Or Bob Feller. Sandy Koufax and Bob Gibson had remarkable fastballs, so did the young Tom Seaver. Lefty Grove. Sam McDowell. Roger Clemens. You know the list. But it’s possible — possible — that (assuming Verlander pitches at this level for the next few years) when you combine power, speed, movement, durability, command, control and consistency, Justin Verlander might go down as having the best fastball in major league history. We have to see how it plays out, but it’s worth watching.

Joe Posnanski » Posts Frankenpitcher vs. Frankenpitcher «

Weaver's night is done. 5 IP, 6 ER, 8 Hits, 3 BB. His ERA is 2.49 on the season.

mario_impemba Mario Impemba

Jared Weaver gave up six earned runs in his start tonight. His ERA jumped to 2.49. Verlander now leads the AL in wins, ERA and strikeouts.

13 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Verlander only trails Cueto of Cin in ERA 2.29 to 2.34 to have the major league pitcher triple crown.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Verlander only trails Cueto of Cin in ERA 2.29 to 2.34 to have the major league pitcher triple crown.

Insane... at least we have something else to shoot for now.

I think it's worth noting that Cueto has pitched nearly 80 fewer innings than Verlander. Not that it would improve or harm Cueto's ERA if he had pitched more, but I think that helps give some extra context to Verlander's ERA when compared to Cueto's.

Also pretty interesting when comparing these two guys: Verlander has given up 3 more walks (Cueto would have to surrender one every 26 innings to match Verlander) and gotten 125 more strikeouts (about 1.6 per inning) this year. Also, Verlander's extra 80 innings have come in just 8 more starts than Cueto.

In other words, Verlander's pretty good :cool:

Edited by David

Here's the reason he's getting the CY Young, triple crown, and potentially the MVP:

A.L. WAR (Wins above replacement)

J.Bautista TOR 8.3

J.Verlander DET 7.8

D.Pedroia BOS 6.6

J.Ellsbury BOS 6.0

A.Gonzalez BOS 5.9

Verlander should get 4 more starts. Maybe even 5 (I doubt that).

After todays game:

He has 240 SO

What does he average? About 6-7 SO a game? Maybe more like 7-8? He will be close to 300 K's on the year and if he wins 3 of 4/5 he will have 25 wins.

We are literally watching one of the great pitching performances from a Tiger in over 40 years.

We should all revel in the fun Verlander has given us this year.

Verlander should get 4 more starts. Maybe even 5 (I doubt that).

Dan and Jim were saying that after today, JV would get 3 maybe 4 starts. And were hoping that it would be 3, meaning that the Tigers would have clinched.

Dan and Jim were saying that after today, JV would get 3 maybe 4 starts. And were hoping that it would be 3, meaning that the Tigers would have clinched.

Going on every fifth start he would get 4.

Going on every fifth day he would get 5.

Getting only 3 more, like you said, means we clinched and he can rest.

Going on every fifth start he would get 4.

Going on every fifth day he would get 5.

Getting only 3 more, like you said, means we clinched and he can rest.

19 Games left

1.Scherzer 11. Scherzer

2.Penny 12. Penny

3.Fister 13. Fister

4.Porcello 14. Porcello

5.Verlander 15. Verlander

6.Scherzer 16. Scherzer

7. Penny 17. Penny

8.Fister 18. Fister

9.Porcello 19. Porcello

10. Verlander

I only count 3 more starts if we keep a normal rotation. I dont see anyway he gets 5 more. 4 they would have to skip someone to do. 3 is most likely.

Edited by Johnny Mac

They will skip someone or do whatever so he can pitch the final game if something ridiculous happens and they need him in game 162. Otherwise, they will start juggling and get him set up to pitch 5 innings about 5-6 days before alds game 1.