MSUBrian11

Favorite Magglio Ordonez Memory

Magglio "owned" his quadrant of Comerica Park's field more than any player I can remember in this mostly terrible decade of baseball in Detroit. Regularly, especially after 2006, he would get cheers, standing ovations and signs out in RF when taking the field for games or after he had a big inning offensively. You could often find him in the RF corner where the baseline juts out signing and taking pictures after BP or before games. Plus, who can forget the hair and the natural progression into souvenir hats with Magglio hair sewn into them?

If they do DFA him today, he'll go down for me as one of the most memorable Tiger players on the field for some time.

It can only be the walkoff.

Remember how nervous we all were when we signed him for 5/75? He had that gimpy leg problem he went to the mysterious Austrian doctor about. We had no idea what we were gonna get from the guy when he came aboard. But I think almost all of us can agree that we got a lot more from him than we thought we would at the time.

Godspeed, Maggs. Oh-wee-oh, buddy.

Edited by chasfh

If for some reason this is the end of Maggs in Detroit....I have to put this out there as my "Magglio Walk-off Story"

I'm in a basement restaurant in Manhattan celebrating a friend's birthday in 2006 during the ALCS....the Tiger game is rolling through, and I'm without cell reception (being in a basement and all), so I can't even get text updates. We're waiting for our meals to be brought to the table and I finally interupt the group and say..."I'm sorry guys, I'll be back in a little bit. I can't sit here right now."

I walk out of the bar, two blocks down the street and around the corner into a shady little dive bar. I walk in, order a beer, look up at the screen and Maggs hits his walkoff. I go nuts....pint glass still in hand, pumping my arms over my head, beer flying everywhere, all over the patron to my left....I apologize profusely, throw a $50 bill on the bar for him and walk back to the restaurant, sit down, eat my dinner and go on with my night.....

Might be the greatest baseball watching memory of my life.

The ALCS winning HR still makes my eyes misty when I think about it. I was watching the end of the game in a bar near the Cleveland area. No sound on the TV, but when I saw the ball start to fly, I said "oh my god, that might be gone". Huge feeling of joy and elation seeing it clear the stands. I was giddy the rest of the night and the next day thinking about cool it was that the Tigers had returned to the WS after so many years of horrible, bad and mediocre baseball.

My son was about 6 months old that day and we were watching in a room filled with people at a party, Maggs hit the ball and raised his arm and the room erupted, my 6 month old erupted in crying as the jubilation scared the hell out of him.

The fight against the tigers in '00 was pretty awesome - I think he landed a shot against Fick.

My favorite memory was when he slapped the **** out of Hawk for being such an imbecilic *******.

Wait...maybe that was a dream.

It can only be the walkoff.

Remember how nervous we all were when we signed him for 5/75? He had that gimpy leg problem he went to the mysterious Austrian doctor about. We had no idea what we were gonna get from the guy when he came aboard. But I think almost all of us can agree that we got a lot more from him than we thought we would at the time.

Godspeed, Maggs. Oh-wee-oh, buddy.

Turns out that mysterious Austrian doctor did an OK job.

My favorite Magglio moment while I was in attendance is when he slid to catch a sinking line-drive to preserve Verlander's first no-hitter. The place went nuts when he did that.

The HR in the ALCS is obviously his greatest single moment, but his batting title was special. That was the best season for a Tiger at the plate since I began following the Tigers as a 6 year old in 1970.

I think it'll be funny if the Tigers #3 hitter gets released. By that I mean, he wasn't dropped down in the order previous to just being let go. That can't happen to often.

If for some reason this is the end of Maggs in Detroit....I have to put this out there as my "Magglio Walk-off Story"

I'm in a basement restaurant in Manhattan celebrating a friend's birthday in 2006 during the ALCS....the Tiger game is rolling through, and I'm without cell reception (being in a basement and all), so I can't even get text updates. We're waiting for our meals to be brought to the table and I finally interupt the group and say..."I'm sorry guys, I'll be back in a little bit. I can't sit here right now."

I walk out of the bar, two blocks down the street and around the corner into a shady little dive bar. I walk in, order a beer, look up at the screen and Maggs hits his walkoff. I go nuts....pint glass still in hand, pumping my arms over my head, beer flying everywhere, all over the patron to my left....I apologize profusely, throw a $50 bill on the bar for him and walk back to the restaurant, sit down, eat my dinner and go on with my night.....

Might be the greatest baseball watching memory of my life.

That's an awesome story.

I was on the phone with my future wife watching Game 4; me in Wyandotte, future wife in NYC. During Magglio's AB I say something along the lines of, "Pfft, whatever. Magglio's gonna ground out", and before I could finish the sentence BOOM!, home run.

There is no other moment for Magglio Ordonez as a Tiger.

Man... I start watching that highlight and my stomach just sinks. Simultaneously one of the most exciting, and worst Tiger memories I will ever have. I still get mad when I think that was Granderson's last game as a Tiger. Awful. That team should have been in the playoffs.

I was sitting in section 216, row A for Maggs' HR in '06. I still get the chills when I think about that moment. I was recording video with my camera during the AB, and my batteries died during Huston Street's windup on that pitch.

I think it'll be funny if the Tigers #3 hitter gets released. By that I mean, he wasn't dropped down in the order previous to just being let go. That can't happen to often.

Coincidentally, the tigers released delmon's older brother the same day he hit third for them.