Rocko2

Tigers Acquire Delmon Young

He could be huge batting 5th behind Cabrera and Fielder. Would rather him spend more time at DH than LF, though.

I'm still thinking the same thing with Young as I was when they got him. I don't see him improving his on base or defensive skills. However, if he can develop into a consistent home run hitter for a full season, then he can be an acceptable starter. If he can't do that, then he's not very useful.

I just want the guy to be good or bad. Every time a hitter sits in the .720-.770 OPS range, it spawns these enormous debates about whether it's a good thing or not. Peralta and Boesch were nice enough to end the debate by being awesome. Hopefully, Young will follow suit.

I just want the guy to be good or bad. Every time a hitter sits in the .720-.770 OPS range, it spawns these enormous debates about whether it's a good thing or not. Peralta and Boesch were nice enough to end the debate by being awesome. Hopefully, Young will follow suit.

I can already see another one brewing. Clete Thomas with a 700-750 OPS but better D vs Dirks with a 750-850 OPS but a more erratic glove. Since in theory this role is as a late inning defender to me Thomas should have the edge, but JL likes him some 'O'

I can already see another one brewing. Clete Thomas with a 700-750 OPS but better D vs Dirks with a 750-850 OPS but a more erratic glove. Since in theory this role is as a late inning defender to me Thomas should have the edge, but JL likes him some 'O'

I don't see how. They won't both make the roster, so there won't be much to compare. More than likely, Dirks makes the team and Clete isn't in the organization anymore.

I don't see how. They won't both make the roster, so there won't be much to compare. More than likely, Dirks makes the team and Clete isn't in the organization anymore.

Maybe I'm just psycho paranoid about injuries, but if Jackson is lost for an extended period they will live to regret letting Clete go. I don't see any one else in the system competent to hold down CF at COPA. Kelly maybe - but you have to live with a an epic platoon split and an OPS probably worse than Thomas, but no way Dirks plays CF in COPA for more than spot duty.

Maybe I'm just psycho paranoid about injuries, but if Jackson is lost for an extended period they will live to regret letting Clete go. I don't see any one else in the system competent to hold down CF at COPA. Kelly maybe - but you have to live with a an epic platoon split and an OPS probably worse than Thomas, but no way Dirks plays CF in COPA for more than spot duty.

Jamie Johnson. You would get pretty anemic offense, but he's a tough out ana strong defender. Not like Jackson is there for his offense anyway.

I know ST doesn't count for anything, but nice to see that 1.533 OPS so far!

Dirks is also a hot hitter at the moment.

Edited by DaYooperASBDT

I highly doubt that Thomas hits for a higher average than Brandon Inge.....with less power.

How do you figure less power?? Clete is a .400 SLG guy, and so was Inge in '09 and '10. His SLG dropped to .283 last year. Not sure how you can claim Clete would have less power.

Conversely, Clete posted a .366 and a .324 OBP in his two seasons... Brandon hasn't been as high as .324 since 2005.

Oh, Clete also had a higher BA than Inge in each of his two seasons in Detroit.

Don't mean to throw facts at you but I tend to like them. Are you at all aware at just how horrible Inge is offensively? We're talking one of the worst in the game.