Jeff

Camera Angle

Was watching the Cardinals game earlier and noticed how their camera angle is different then we normally see for the Tigers. I think I've seen the Cubs use angle too. What do you guys think? I liked it a lot better.

kXpo9.png

Compared to the FSD angle:

Dk2An.png

Was watching the Cardinals game earlier and noticed how their camera angle is different then we normally see for the Tigers. I think I've seen the Cubs use angle too. What do you guys think? I liked it a lot better.

kXpo9.png

Compared to the FSD angle:

Dk2An.png

Twins also have the inline vertical view at Target as well. I'm sure the "Video" folks are less than thrilled with a view that defeats the wide aspect virtues of HD, but I think it is a much better angle for watching baseball pitches, especially left handers, whose pitches you can't judge from the LF camera view at all.

I hate it, as you can't see downward break as well. It's just too weird to me.

I love the center field camera view. It does make it harder to see downward movement, but what it gains in showing lateral movement and the actual location of the ball relative to the plate more than makes up for it.

Sometimes I like the centerfield camera, sometimes I don't. I'm not a big fan of the Twins' centerfield camera. To me it seems like it sits too high. The Cardinals' camera angle I think is a bit better. YES runs multiple angles for its views, though I think the traditional leftfield camera is most frequently seen. The weirdest one to see is the right foul line camera, which I guess is better for batters than it is for pitchers.

I liked seeing the camera stay at Peralta's back as he fielded a grounder. That is an angle I don't see often. I don't know if I want to see it every time, but the change was good.

On a similar topic, I watched a bit of an ESPN game where they keep the pitch track on during live action. (I think it was during the indians red sox series). I found it very distracting. I would hate for that to become the norm. As if the average fan can't tell if the pitch was a strike or not without it. :dead:

I love the center field camera view. It does make it harder to see downward movement, but what it gains in showing lateral movement and the actual location of the ball relative to the plate more than makes up for it.
Yup.

Not interested in the center field camera, makes the action seem further away. I like the LF view much better.

I'm good with the CF angle, which the Cardinals have had for a few years now. BTW, the Cubs do not use it, but the Twins do in their new ballpark, I believe. I'll watch tonight.

Some of you may be old enough to remember the original outfield camera angle in the old Yankee Stadium, before the renovation in the late 70s. The camera angle was on the left side, which looked utterly strange.

I tried to find a video of it and couldn't locate one, per se. But I did find this video tribute, which has some still shots from that exact angle, at 0:35-0:40. Try to imagine watching live action on TV from that angle:

w5JWkJhnPXA

6 of one, half-dozen of the other to me. The CF cam makes it very hard to judge a pitch's vertical height as it's coming into the strike zone. The LF cam distorts the horizontal position of the pitch as it's coming into the strike zone... especially for southpaws.

Here's my question... why not hava a RF cam as well as a LF cam? Switch between the two view depending on the handedness of the pitcher.