Sign in to follow this  
lionstigersand...

2011 Michigan State Football Prediction Thread...

All comers welcome!

The slate:

Sept. 3 YOUNGSTOWN STATE

Sept. 10 FLORIDA ATLANTIC

Sept. 17 at Notre Dame

Sept. 24 CENTRAL MICHIGAN

Oct. 1 at Ohio State

Oct. 15 MICHIGAN

Oct. 22 WISCONSIN

Oct. 29 at Nebraska

Nov. 5 MINNESOTA

Nov. 12 at Iowa

Nov. 19 INDIANA

Nov. 26 at Northwestern

Sept. 3 YOUNGSTOWN STATE: I'm glad this is just one of two games on in the time slot, and its the Friday before opening Saturday. We get to spread out the football, and it makes MSU vs FCS "can't miss" programming. I've even watched Indiana vs FCS in the past under these circumstances...Either way, should be a fun night. Win

Sept. 10 FLORIDA ATLANTIC: When does this team finally get off the schedule? Third year in a row that we're playing FAU in Michigan. Win

Sept. 17 at Notre Dame: I have said before, I think "at ND" is one of our most difficult games of the season. And for once in my lifetime, I think ND is actually being underrated. After the confidence boost ND will have going into this one, the momentum may be too much. Michael Floyd and a healthy Dane Crist make this a very scary team, IMO, and we probably should have lost this game last year. Loss

Sept. 24 CENTRAL MICHIGAN: If we win, can we have Dan Enos back? Win

Oct. 1 at Ohio State: Another very tough, underrated game, IMO. This will be OSU's first conference game, and they are on a serious mission to prove people wrong. And this is opportunity #1, front and center. We also haven't played in Columbus in a long time, I don't think any of our starters have even been in the building. Luckily, OSU will still be missing a lot of talent in this game. It will be a toss-up, IMO. Going conservative. Loss

Oct. 15 MICHIGAN: Nice bye week. Michigan will probably be ranked in the top 15, with another september heisman. Won't be Denard though, because "we know he can't throw the ball". MSU wins big. Win

Oct. 22 WISCONSIN: Very interesting matchup. I hate Wisconsin. And we were obviously one of just two teams to beat them last year, and did it fairly damn convincingly. I think the loss of JJ Watt and the losses on the OL will hurt, although you can never doubt the latter being easily replenished. Also, can Russell Wilson actually provide what Scott Tolzien did: completion percentage over 70%? Wilson has never had a completion % over 60%, and that was in the ACC. The running game will be solid, but Wisconsin doesn't seem to have that big bruising back this year to provide the thunder to the lighting of Montee Ball, et al. Needless to say, I think its going to be a close game, I'm giving it to MSU based on intangibles (home game, night game, homecoming, and what I believe to be more than a fair amount of anger towards Wisconsin getting the rose bowl bid, especially after "stubbing their toe" in EL). Should be a passionate affair. Win

Oct. 29 at Nebraska: The 'huskers make me think of a suped-up version of Iowa. Just absolutely don't see us winning our first game in Lincoln. Loss

Nov. 5 MINNESOTA: Marquise, should have committed to MSU. You're all alone up in the twin cities Win

Nov. 12 at Iowa: I think Iowa takes a step back in expectations (in reality, I think they end up with a similar W/L). I think they lost a lot of underachieving (at least last year) talent. I'm predicting this is finally the year MSU pulls out a win in Iowa City. Win

Nov. 19 INDIANA: I really like Kevin Wilson as a coach. I think Indiana is going to become competitive, but they don't win this game on senior day. Win

Nov. 26 at Northwestern: If Dan Persa is still alive, with achilles tendon healed, should be a great game. We saw what happened last year, and how close of a game it was. With a birth in the BT championship game on the line, I don't see MSU letting this one get away. Win

And the game LTA forgot:

Dec. 3 Big Ten Championship Game: As per my comments above, I think OSU will actually be a tougher game for MSU than Wisconsin. A lot of that has to do with home/away, but I still think the two teams are much closer in talent than people are giving OSU credit for. And remember, Wisconsin has to go to Columbus (revenge game omg!), and they are a very different team away from camp randall.

Breaking down the toughest games for each:

OSU: vs. MSU, at NEB, vs Wis

WIS: at MSU, vs NEB, at OSU

I'm going with the team with more home games: MSU vs OSU, MSU getting revenge and coming out on top.

This is all moot if OSU gets a post-season ban. Then I take MSU over WIS again, because I can never predict otherwise...

10-3 (7-2), Rose Bowl

Edited by SpartanValor

So compared to last year (11-1), I'm predicting a modest two game decline (9-3). Sounds about right on paper, I think the 8-9 win range (prior to BTCG) is where I'd lay my dough.

Come one, come all, lets see em.

I guess i am. Wisconsin, and two of psu, osu, iowa (msu).

Too much work analyzing where other teams fall, definitely not a perfect science.

I see msu in the 8-9 win range.

Game by game, I'll say losses to nd, osu, Nebraska, wisc. Pretty typical and boring prediction. I think of those are winnable, with Nebraska and nd being the toughest of that group.

Also, I think they could possibly lose nw, iowa, um.

Worst case is 5-7 then.

Best case is 10-2.

I don't think we see a 6-2 division winner. Is head to head the tiebreaker before record in division? Either way, at 6-2, I expect multiple teams. I don't see Nebraska losing any division games, so they would win the 6-2 tiebreaker. It really makes the division games very important. Should be an interesting season.

Did my best to add scores in here.

Sept. 3 YOUNGSTOWN STATE - WIN 42-7

Sept. 10 FLORIDA ATLANTIC - WIN 38-10

Sept. 17 at Notre Dame - LOSS 28-24

Sept. 24 CENTRAL MICHIGAN - WIN 38-14

Oct. 1 at Ohio State - LOSS 27-23

Oct. 15 MICHIGAN - WIN 38-20

Oct. 22 WISCONSIN - WIN 28-27

Oct. 29 at Nebraska - LOSS 31-24

Nov. 5 MINNESOTA - WIN 41-17

Nov. 12 at Iowa - WIN 30-27

Nov. 19 INDIANA- WIN 35-10

Nov. 26 at Northwestern WIN 31-28

I think the offensive line unit of this team is key.

If they can come together nicely, make space for Baker, protect Cousins .. it's an 9+ win team easily.

If they can't, I think they could end up at or somewhere around 7-5.

Sept. 3 YOUNGSTOWN STATE - WIN

Sept. 10 FLORIDA ATLANTIC - WIN

Sept. 17 at Notre Dame - WIN

Sept. 24 CENTRAL MICHIGAN - WIN

Oct. 1 at Ohio State - WIN

Oct. 15 MICHIGAN - WIN

Oct. 22 WISCONSIN - WIN

Oct. 29 at Nebraska - LOSS

Nov. 5 MINNESOTA - WIN

Nov. 12 at Iowa - LOSS

Nov. 19 INDIANA- WIN 35-10

Nov. 26 at Northwestern WIN

Sept. 3 YOUNGSTOWN STATE W

Sept. 10 FLORIDA ATLANTIC W

Sept. 17 at Notre Dame L

Sept. 24 CENTRAL MICHIGAN L

Oct. 1 at Ohio State L

Oct. 15 MICHIGAN L

Oct. 22 WISCONSIN L

Oct. 29 at Nebraska L

Nov. 5 MINNESOTA W

Nov. 12 at Iowa L

Nov. 19 INDIANA W

Nov. 26 at Northwestern W

5-7

Michigan State (9-3, 5-3)

Youngstown State - W

Florida Atlantic - W

at Notre Dame - W

Central Michigan - W

at Ohio State - W

Michigan - W

Wisconsin - W

at Nebraska - L

Minnesota - W

at Iowa - L

Indiana - W

at Northwestern - L

A strong team ranked near the top 5 before a bad loss at Nebraska shakes them up and it gets wonky from there.