FRM710

Leyland and Dombrowski extended

Do you like the Dombrowski/Leyland extension?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Dombrowski/Leyland extension?

• Yes, I like that both were extended
    • No, I don't like that both we're extended
    • I like the Dombrowski extension but not the Leyland extension
    • I like the Leyland extension but not the Dombrowski extension

But it does excuse him in a way. That's part of the process IMO. Especially in a situation like we have been in, where our fans have expected us to win now at all costs, extending the current talent was the only option and with long term guaranteed contracts, X% of them are going to be written off. We had a lot of bad contracts all at once so it looked bad, but its also been years since DD signed anyone who doesn't look like a good signing. They pushed all their cards to the middle after the WS, but since they have had a much more solid strategy of building long term.

You can't blame the pitching failured in 07 and 08 on DD really. The same guys that took us to the WS fell apart, maybe due to the innings pitched while reaching the WS. JV,Rogers,Bondo,Robertson and Zumaya all fell apart on us. There was no replacing that kind of talent. Our offensive guys fell apart somewhat as well due mostly to age.

I can't sit here and say we aren't set up well though. We have 2 superstars to build around, A solid base of talented position players and our pitching staff is pretty stocked with talented arms in the pen and rotation, short and long term. I wouldn't trade situations with any other AL Central team right now.

Cmon at the time he extended both Willis and Robertson most posters here questioned DDs sanity. If amateurs like us can spot a bad deal so easily, DD should be able to. And when you say, "but its also been years since DD signed anyone who doesn't look like a good signing", you must have completely blanked out on Inge and 10 million for an injured Magglio with no power, not to mention the huge long term deal for a set up guy with a spotty history.

Im meh on the contracts but question the timing. We get swept in Cleveland the fans are gonna go ballistic. I would have waited to see how this series played out first. Jimmy seems to have gotten some pretty thin skin the last couple years and Id worry how hed react when the fans get truly ugly because if they lose three here he aint seen nothing yet.

Well DD is the one that opened his mouth and claimed that his farm system/major league roster could produce "10 major league ready relievers".

But did he say they were GOOD major league ready? He's probably run 10 RPs through here since he said it. :laugh:

Like I said thay are the most unpredictable position on the team. It's not just about talent, its mental makeup and other intangibles you can't really explain. How Benoit could pitch like he did last year is a perfect example, did he show any indication before that that was coming? The fact that Cleveland built their pen the way they did more than proves my point. Seeing how they've performed, don't you think they'd have been harder to get?

The Tigers havent won their division since 1987. Only the Royals, Brewers, and Nationals/Expos have had longer streaks of futility.

I fail to see how Leyland and DD have done great jobs. Too many wasted opportunities for my taste. If it were up to me, there would be no extensions for either unless they win the division this year.

That being said, I think DD takes a backseat soon to Avila, and Leyland's extension isn't for much longer. As has been said before by others, I think Avila and Brookens are the future of the team and this is probably DD/Leyland's last ride (this and next year).

My reaction is meh.

But how will we feel if they blow YET ANOTHER September lead?

I wouldn't be mad specifically about the blown lead, I'd be mad that in yet another season where the division was imminently winnable, the Tigers failed to put together a team good enough to win it.

That said, I feel fairly confident that they will win it. You never know though.

I think Leyland put his name into the AL manager of the year race now. I thought for sure Acta was a lock, but now I'm not so sure.

Since the extension old skip is 20-9

Yeah, but he needed the "pressure" of possibly being fired in order to perform. :tired:

I think Leyland put his name into the AL manager of the year race now. I thought for sure Acta was a lock, but now I'm not so sure.

I'm starting to agree. I thought Acta was a lock too.

I still think he'll probably win it, because writers seem to like surprise teams doing unexpectedly well, but what the Tigers have done this year is hard to overlook, imo.