Sign in to follow this  
Oblong

Boston Public Library releases old photos/Lots of Tigers shots

I have a book from my Grandfather with most of these Tiger's autographs in it. Also a few of the Redwings as well.

Great stuff! A lot of these photos are only about 1 generation before me so I heard these names come up in baseball conversations many times. Thanks again for the link.

Jimmie Foxx, I believe, was one of the first players who ripped off his jersey sleeves at the shoulders to show off his "guns."

Ted Kluszewski used to do that with the Reds in the 1950s and 1960s.

Of course if a player did that today, he'd get fined up the ying-yang.

Those are pretty awesome pics. For somebody who was such an important part of the Tigers' first World Series championship team, there really aren't that many pictures of Mickey Cochrane out there.

These pictures are awesome! Foxx looks like a hobbit compared to Greenberg.

I really love the Charlie Gehringer photos, in particular. How could a guy walk 101 times and strike out only 17 times as he did when he was 37 years old?

just wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the baseball rack in front of the dugout...talk about an obstackle course

I really love the Charlie Gehringer photos, in particular. How could a guy walk 101 times and strike out only 17 times as he did when he was 37 years old?
Well for starters he probably didn't try to pull every pitch 705 feet down the left field line. But definitely some amazing hand-eye coordination as well !!

GREENBERGANDBACON.png

Detroit Tigers Hank Greenberg (in a suit) and Gaspar G. Bacon in hotel room. 1934.

I'm guessing Mr G is wearing silk there. Doesn't look like a 30's weave wool. I'd like to have his tailor - or I guess his grandson!

I'm guessing Mr G is wearing silk there. Doesn't look like a 30's weave wool. I'd like to have his tailor - or I guess his grandson!

Greenberg looks good in a suit. Some people look out of place in a suit. He looks like he was made for one. I love the photos of vintage Tigers players looking dapper.

The only professional sports team I ever knew for sure I saw in an airport was probably 40 years ago when I saw the St. Louis Blues NHL team travelling together. The all wore the same color slacks and blue sports jackets with the team logo over the pocket. They looked like Century One real estate agents only in different colors, not like Hank Greenberg. Didn't professional athletes used to dress formally when travelling because decorum demanded it? Do sports teams dress up when they travel now, or do they just look like doofuses like everyone else?