CapitalTigers

Time to Bump AJax from Starting Line-Up 1 Spot

Keep Austin Jackson In 1 Spot in Starting Line-Up?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Keep Austin Jackson In 1 Spot in Starting Line-Up?

• YES
    • NO

somewhat off topic, but what are the expectations of Jackson going forward? Is this what should be expected from him year in and year out, or does he have the potential to be an above average leadoff hitter in the majors down the road

somewhat off topic, but what are the expectations of Jackson going forward? Is this what should be expected from him year in and year out, or does he have the potential to be an above average leadoff hitter in the majors down the road

I expected his K-rate to lower this year, simply because his swinging strike rate didn't really warrant his K-rate last year. And so of course this year, the swinging strike rate is the same, and his K-rate goes up! So I have no idea. He does take walks.

To my eye he could hit for more power if he tried to pull the ball, I think he will make better contact down the road and I still think he will lower his K-rate. But even if he doesn't, he's still a benefit to the team with his CF defense and having a cheap contract the next several years. Ideally, he's a #8 or #9 hitter, but there's really no better lead-off option right now.

He's still pretty young. At age 24, it's very possible that he will get better. I personally think he's going to have a breakout year next year. DD likes to call people up early, when other teams' players are still in the minors. Then people rag on these players because they're not immediate all-stars (see Porcello, Rick).

He's been a good hitter since May. He's a great defender. I'm willing to keep him in the leadoff slot. I could see moving him down if we had better options, but we don't.

Magglio is a better leadoff option. Guillen is a better leadoff option. Heck, Martinez is a pretty good leadoff option right now.

Magglio is probably the best because his OBP is like .360 since coming back off the DL and he doesn't hit for any power anyway. Move Peralta to the 3rd spot because he's awesome and he should get more ABs. Everyone else moves up. Offense gets better.

Magglio is a better leadoff option. Guillen is a better leadoff option. Heck, Martinez is a pretty good leadoff option right now.

Magglio is probably the best because his OBP is like .360 since coming back off the DL and he doesn't hit for any power anyway. Move Peralta to the 3rd spot because he's awesome and he should get more ABs. Everyone else moves up. Offense gets better.

And Jackson's OBP in the same time is 338 and Guillen has a 293 OBP.

.338 OBP is not a good OBP for a leadoff hitter. It's not a good OBP for any hitter that doesn't hit for power, really. He's the worst everyday hitter on the team at the moment. That says a lot more about how good the Tigers offense is right now than it does about Jackson, but there's still no reason to have your worst hitter leadoff.

Guillen has played all of 15 games, so his year to date OBP is about as meaningless as it gets. He's always had a good eye and posted good walk rates. I know the dude's been injured a lot, but I'm sure his eyes still work fine.

.338 OBP is not a good OBP for a leadoff hitter. It's not a good OBP for any hitter that doesn't hit for power, really. He's the worst everyday hitter on the team at the moment. That says a lot more about how good the Tigers offense is right now than it does about Jackson, but there's still no reason to have your worst hitter leadoff.

Guillen has played all of 15 games, so his year to date OBP is about as meaningless as it gets. He's always had a good eye and posted good walk rates. I know the dude's been injured a lot, but I'm sure his eyes still work fine.

At this point in time, he's getting on base less than Jackson. If I'm going to replace Jackson, I'm going to do it with someone who in the present is getting on base at a better clip. Guillen really hasn't been showing any plate discipline. He's swinging at 32% of pitches outside of the strike zone.

Its fine to keep him in the lineup. Just bat him in the bottom of the order. Your leadoff hitter receives the most PA and should be one of your best hitters. That isn't Jackson, regardless how fast he is or what his OBP is once one ignores 118 PA in March/April.

I guess I just hate the "leadoff" spot and how rigid some managers are in who bats there. The player that bats there is only guaranteed to actually lead off an inning in the very 1st inning. It might never happen again the rest of the game and becomes just another spot in the order. Put one of your best hitters in that spot and bat your worst hitters at the bottom of the order.

The once a game thing certainly true, though you can argue that it is a little skewed by the fact that if your #9 hitter has the lowest OBP in the lineup, that does mean that over time there will be some excess in the number of innings he ends compared to anyone else. But let's grant that is a small and irrelvant difference. Where I think it may make a bigger difference is how being a lead off hitter may get into the player's head and change his approach as a hitter. Since Jackson seems to have trouble making contact with balls in the strike zone, I would love to see him take fewer strikes. If he is going to learn how to hit strikes at a higher rate, I'd advise him to swing at more of them, and I wonder if he would take fewer good pitches if he weren't a 'lead off hitter'.

Jackson hit almost .300 last year. This is a classic sophomore slump. Move him down in the order if you want, but he needs to stay in the lineup--good defense and the only semblance of speed on the roster.

I guess people don't care over the past 3 months and 275 AB's, he's getting on base at a 340 clip, the same rate he got on base last year. Not sure who really to slide up there.

The thing is, that's not very good for a leadoff hitter.

Jackson is the 2011 version of Garry Pettis but with a little less speed. I can cope with that. When the other CF can't get to the ball, blame him for being sucktacular.

At this point in time, he's getting on base less than Jackson. If I'm going to replace Jackson, I'm going to do it with someone who in the present is getting on base at a better clip. Guillen really hasn't been showing any plate discipline. He's swinging at 32% of pitches outside of the strike zone.

Well, that's why I said Magglio is the best leadoff option.

Its fine to keep him in the lineup. Just bat him in the bottom of the order. Your leadoff hitter receives the most PA and should be one of your best hitters. That isn't Jackson, regardless how fast he is or what his OBP is once one ignores 118 PA in March/April.

I guess I just hate the "leadoff" spot and how rigid some managers are in who bats there. The player that bats there is only guaranteed to actually lead off an inning in the very 1st inning. It might never happen again the rest of the game and becomes just another spot in the order. Put one of your best hitters in that spot and bat your worst hitters at the bottom of the order.

This sums up my thoughts.

Any thoughts on having Boesch lead off? Probably doesn't make as much sense as Ordonez in the sense of OBP but at least he is somewhat of a threat to steal a base.

With wells gone, we are pretty much stuck with Jackson. He's still a terrible hitter.

Put me down for batting him 9th. Maggs leadoff. Peralta 2nd. Boesch 3rd.

It will never happen because the leadoff hitter has to speed according to leyland.

Jackson is the 2011 version of Garry Pettis but with a little less speed. I can cope with that.

Bingo! However, I could cope a little better if AJax's outs were "productive" outs and not Ks with men on base. I'd have no problem seeing AJax at the bottom of the order for a spell. Too bad there's no room for Dirks at DH, he seems to be an offensive sparkplug.

I agree somewhat, and agree 100% that speed matter at all with who leads off. But you can't just put your better hitters at the top and your worst hitters at the bottom, your best hitters will come up with the bases empty almost every at bat.

The thing that annoys me the most about baseball is these old school managers that won't change for anything. If Granderson was still a Tiger, there'd still be articles about how he strikes out too much and tries to hit too many homers for a leadoff hitter, because Leyland NEVER would have moved him to 2nd or 3rd in the order like the Yankees have. Jackson is NOT a leadoff hitter, the only quality he has that is typical of a leadoff hitter is no power and speed.

The thing that annoys me the most about baseball is these old school managers that won't change for anything. If Granderson was still a Tiger, there'd still be articles about how he strikes out too much and tries to hit too many homers for a leadoff hitter, because Leyland NEVER would have moved him to 2nd or 3rd in the order like the Yankees have.

As I recall, the Tigers brass had Granderson projected as a potential #3 hitter when he matured physically. It seems that's indeed been the case.

Someone should have told Leyland because in 09 when he hit 30 jacks for us, he still led off 130/155 games
...and still couldn't hit southpaws.

Let's face it, we got good "perceived" value for him at the time of the trade. Let's not forget about the salary issue with both Grandy and Edwin Jackson; I think that precipitated the trade in the first place.

I agree somewhat, and agree 100% that speed matter at all with who leads off. But you can't just put your better hitters at the top and your worst hitters at the bottom, your best hitters will come up with the bases empty almost every at bat.

I think this is nonsense. Jackson is going to hit somewhere in the line-up, and somebody has to follow him. After the 1st inning anyone can be the lead-off man. As such, there is nothing that suggests your best hitters will come up with the bases empty almost every at bat if Jackson hits 9th as opposed to somewhere else in the order.

It seems to me that if one wishes to limit Austin's AB while still getting his defense on an everyday basis, hitting him 8th or 9th is the best way to accomplish that.

I posted his spray chart a couple of weeks ago. He's gotten lucky on some home run balls. Meanwhile, AJAX is hitting for a .740 OPS in the last 3 months with a .340 OBP. Plus, Dirks only has 8 walks in 140 AB, good for a 5.3% walk rate, or almost half of AJAX.

Yes, you posted picture from hittracker, but I'm still not sure why he shouldn't get credit for those home runs. Honest question, how far have jackson's been. And while we are at it, jackson's walks are around 9% or so, that's true. What about their respective k rates? I think it's about 14 to 24 in dirks's favor. And just so everything else is on the table, dirks babip is about 270 or something. If you want to dock him for his home runs to right field, you should probably credit him for the unlucky babip.

As for defense, Jackson is better. Won't argue that. Hard to say what the value difference is, though.

Just food for thought, I was looking at Boesch's stats for another thread, and in 81 Plate appearances as a Lead off Hitter in an inning, he is batting .361 with a .432 OBP. Would be out of the realm of possibilities to think he may be our best bet for a leadoff hitter? He has some speed too.

Mckitty, I think boesch is best utilized having guys on base in front of him. I think his ideal spot is third in the order, because even if no one gets on base, he can hit a 2 out solo shot.

Another thing about Jackson, I don't think it's appropriate to call this season a sophomore slump, for a number of reasons. First, he's not really slumping. His walk rate is mildly improved but basically consistent with last season. Same with his k rate and his power. He's the same player. The only thing that is different is that his babip is a realistic number. That's not a slump. Second, I don't believe in sophomore slumps. It's almost always a simple case of regression.