ROMAD1

Local Sports radio

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Bogey has a future in TV.  When he did some weekend shifts on Channel 7 he did really well, very smooth.   

Wouldn’t surprise me at all. I think he could be very tolerable when he doesn’t feel compelled to always have a scorching hot take. 

I like Mike Stone.   He and Wojo took money off their own salaries to keep my friend Sabrina Black employed when she had Leukemia (yes, Clear Channel was going to fire her.....great company).   I will always appreciate that about him - he's a good guy. 

But,  he found his college transcripts in a box and he posted them on Twitter.    Inlcuding his Social Security Number.    After a couple of minutes a listener caught it ans they MENTIONED THAT ON THE AIR !    WTF are you doing man.   First mistake is not catching the SSN, the second is pointing it out, which is worse.   I really hope some crook doesn't use it.        Bonehead move.     

I could totally see Stoney do that...

I remember in college when to protect our privacy they posted our grades on the wall outside class with our SSN rather than our name.....

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

I remember in college when to protect our privacy they posted our grades on the wall outside class with our SSN rather than our name.....

at UM in our day your SSN was your student ID number. It was no big deal - what could you do with someone's SSN in 1970?

Actually what was more fun back in the day was that your yellow plastic student ID card had your SSN punched through it using the old computer punch card coding format so in theory the card could be read electronically by a punch card reading machine. If you know how to read them you could hold the card up to the light and read off the SN without looking at the front of the card. Of course in all the years I was student I don't ever remember any kind of card reader for them existing. go figure.

Yeah the SSN was our ID # too....

My son is almost 20 and still doesn't know his SSN by heart... is that something unique to us?  Every time he needs it I have to go dig out a tax form.

5 minutes ago, Oblong said:

My son is almost 20 and still doesn't know his SSN by heart... is that something unique to us?  Every time he needs it I have to go dig out a tax form.

wait till they start assigning people UUIDs.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Here I thought I was the only one.

On 4/29/2020 at 9:58 AM, Shelton said:

Wouldn’t surprise me at all. I think he could be very tolerable when he doesn’t feel compelled to always have a scorching hot take. 

He'd be fine as a moderator or host, but the guy's actual sports knowledge is seriously lacking. And it is even worse because he tries really hard to play a Skip Bayless role.

Drew Lane mentioned on his podcast that he's reached out to Bogey about having him doing a podcast.  I honestly have no idea on Bogey, just haven't listened to much sports radio in a long time.  

Hey Heather Park -  what happened on The Bachelor is not news.   Sorry, I know it's your favorite thing in the world, but guys on a sports station don't give a **** and it's not important. 

How many times a day does she give the headline of a news story and when Stoney and Jamie ask a follow up question she answers "I don't know".  4 times a day ?    News Director.   Super annoying.   WWJ is right across the hall, you can't have an actual newsperson do the news? 

Someone or multiple someone's are likely out as a host/update person/producer then if this is true.

On 6/29/2020 at 6:53 PM, Oblong said:

Before there was the Ticket there was DFN. I listened to the fan nonstop growing up. Jamie and Gregg, It Is What It Is with Sean Baligian, Stoney & Wojo, Archie Bunker, Gov, Producer Marty, Mr. Ford, The Millen Man March, Happy New Year. It's a shame Cheap Channel/iHateLocalRadio refused to flip the station to the FM dial all of those years.

On 7/4/2020 at 9:31 AM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Someone or multiple someone's are likely out as a host/update person/producer then if this is true.

It would not shock me if Entercom fired 75% of the air talent in Detroit - across all the stations.   Don't be shocked if the only thing that's local on an Entercom stations across the country is Morning Drive and Afternoon Drive.   I think you could see a situation where Jim Rome is airing from 10 - 2 on 97.1 and it goes all syndi after 6pm until 6am.   Whether the morning show is Stoney & Samuelsen or Karsch & Anderson......I would guess whatever the cheapest alternative is the one that will get the nod.   They won't take Valenti off the air, but you can bet at least one of his boys will be fired (probably Roberto).   I am guessing they'll keep Rigor around to be the utility man fill in and have him do updates on WWJ.   I also wouldn't be shocked if WWJ simply repeats hours 10am - 3pm or goes national Syndi in those hours with some part timer doing 90 second local news drop-ins at the top and bottom of the hour.    And this has very little to do with the Pandemic (though Entercom will surely blame it on that),  they've been planning this bloodbath from the day they bought the stations from CBS.    I don't know why a company would want to own a huge amount of radio stations - its not a great deal for them.  The few stations that have remained locally-owned have done very very well.   Radio is a local thing.   

^ Might be a name to become a bit more familiar with.  His voice will be familiar as he is a public address announcer for UofM basketball, U of Toledo sports, Toledo Mud Hens, Toledo Walleye and does some Lions pregame stuff.  He has filled in Detroit radio from time to time and mentioned on his Friday show that there are things in the works in collaboration with Matt Shepard, but things needed to be finalized going into the weekend and may not be official until Tuesday.

On 7/4/2020 at 9:36 AM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Before there was the Ticket there was DFN. I listened to the fan nonstop growing up. Jamie and Gregg, It Is What It Is with Sean Baligian, Stoney & Wojo, Archie Bunker, Gov, Producer Marty, Mr. Ford, The Millen Man March, Happy New Year. It's a shame Cheap Channel/iHateLocalRadio refused to flip the station to the FM dial all of those years.

A lot of those character voices were supplied by Don Swindell, who left WDFN with Henson around 2002 or 2003. He did do a lot of the creative stuff for WXYT and WWJ.

Don is probably better known as a jazz trumpet player. Spent a lot of time playing with the late Larry Nozaro. Don still plays a bit around the area

Those songs he did were great.  I have some on mp3 on an old flash drive.  

I recall a Moronic, about Wayne Fontes set to Ironic.   “A third and long draw play....go figure”. 

I think he used to do Claude Lemieux.  In 97 he said something like “Claude will hoist the cup for de trois consecutive year... get it?  De troit.  Claude make a little joke”.  In 99 after the wings lost to the Avs in the playoffs he sang a song called “cruel summer”.   “It’s a cruel... cruel summer.  Cup is gone”

On 5/11/2020 at 9:41 AM, Oblong said:

I remember that too.  Times sure have changed.  

Rico Beard will be joining Mike Valenti on 97.1 starting August 3rd.    

They will finally have a black host on the station between 6am - 12 midnight.  

that's going to be a lot of spartan

12 minutes ago, pfife said:

that's going to be a lot of spartan

Yeah, pass

they're saying mike sully is leaving, not sure where/why.   probably to work on the trump campaign