ROMAD1

Local Sports radio

I mean, it's ****ing sports! That guy acts like he is investigating Watergate. He tries to destroy people over sports!

I looked on that pile of crap website for the Valenti story and didn't find it. Oh well.

Can't stand him but I was excited to see him push back against the idiot Bill Simonson. That was fantastic.

I view that battle thusly:

let-them-fight.jpg

I looked on that pile of crap website for the Valenti story and didn't find it. Oh well.

It was part of a podcast.

If you locate it go to minute 58 to fast-forward to the bit where Valenti's agent is on and discussing the topic.

Can't stand him but I was excited to see him push back against the idiot Bill Simonson. That was fantastic.

Oh he's another one.........and the person that owns this board..........don't be surprised to hear from one of Billy's reps and don't be surprised to be threatened over mentioning his name. He really doesn't have anything better to do with his time, which is brought to you by Meijer and Belle Tire.....of course.

... which is brought to you by Meijer and Belle Tire.....of course.

...while sitting in the Brann's Steak house den using the Auto Part's Store computer typing on the Fox Honda keyboard using the Miller Light Wireless Mouse and all connected to the internet via the Celebration Cinema ethernet cord.

But then again, his show is a show unlike no other show...

I've got a close friend that is a youth sports coach of one of the children of that guy. The kid frequently makes comments at practice along the lines of, "Last night dad took us to dinner at Brann's!"

Edit: Gregg Henson messaged me on Facebook when I asked him and said he thinks it was just a fill-in and that Valenti isn't leaving the Ticket.

Edit: Gregg Henson messaged me on Facebook when I asked him and said he thinks it was just a fill-in and that Valenti isn't leaving the Ticket.

Yeah he's just back in NY for the holidays.

Yeah he's just back in NY for the holidays.

Not leaving the Ticket. CBS owns the NY station and asked "hey, you wanna fill in while you're here?"

And, contrary to what some believe, CBS wasn't backing Valenti when they told the Lions to look elsewhere, they were rejecting the Lions trying to control their station content. If they weren't targeting Valenti, it would have been someone else. The Lions want cheerleaders on the radio - just ask Mark Champion.

Speaking on Henson, he filled in over here in GR for a bit after Sean Baligian moved back to Detroit. I was kinda excited to hear what he was like, but I was REALLY disappointed by him. Granted, I only was able to listen for a short period of time, but I really disliked him style/opinion.

The first time he was on was right after the Lions beat GB in GB. Now, I understand that the game at the time (and now) is meaningless in the sense that the Lions had no legit shot at the playoffs then. But Henson repeatedly insisted it was bad that the Lions won. That they should have lost in order to improve draft pick and to ensure that White wasn't kept as GM. He insisted that breaking the streak in GB was meaningless and that fans shouldn't really celebrate it.

Now I completely understand that attitude about wanting to see the Lions get a better pick. I agree, to an extent, with that idea. But there's NO WAY that a Lions fan can't take some enjoyment at getting the monkey of not winning in GB since '91 off their back. His insistence that fans shouldn't be happy about that result really turned me off.

Henson's not good.... he may be a good program manager or whatever, but in terms of on the air, I found his arguments lacking and his points weak. Bad combination for a radio guy. At least guys like Karsch don't pretend to be experts and are goofy in their presentation.

And, contrary to what some believe, CBS wasn't backing Valenti when they told the Lions to look elsewhere, they were rejecting the Lions trying to control their station content. If they weren't targeting Valenti, it would have been someone else. The Lions want cheerleaders on the radio - just ask Mark Champion.

Sounds like hair-splitting.

I like Mike Valenti on the Ticket. I think he and Terry Foster make a good radio team. They are a lot more entertaining than any of the chuckleheads on 670 The Score here in Chicago. I like how they discuss controversial non-sports topics occasionally. It's not unlike venturing into the MotownSports Political Forum.

Matt Shepherd is going off on the national broadcasts on his competitor's stations. Tee hee.

Matt Shepherd is going off on the national broadcasts on his competitor's stations. Tee hee.

?

?

I like him because the local focus in the morning. Of course WDFN has national shows almost the rest of the day.

Okay, this is a bit random of a comment, but I just have to vent here. Bill Simonson here in GR has the afternoon show up he has his "Huge Opinions" little minute updates in the morning. This morning's was a classic. Paraphrasing slightly cause I don't recall the exact wording:

The Lions start out 1-7 and hire their GM and President and OC, but Caldwell survives. Then they finish the season 6-2 but the Lions say that Caldwell's fate is up to the new GM!

So Caldwell is protected after 1-7, but after 6-2 they won't tell us the status of Caldwell?!?

The Lions will never get a good GM in here because the GM will never have complete control.

It's amazing to me not only how wrong his opinions can be, but also how self-contradictory he can be in such a short period of time!

So Caldwell is protected after 1-7

Caldwell was never "protected," there's just only so much you can do in one season. You can't gut everyone in the middle of a season. As soon as Mayhew was fired EVERYBODY knew that Caldwell's fate would be up to the new GM. That only makes sense.

but after 6-2 they won't tell us the status of Caldwell?!?

The Lions told you exactly what the status of Caldwell is: It's up to the new GM. You just said that idiot! Again, it makes sense that the GM would make the decision and we don't have a new GM yet. It's like he's demanding the score of a game before it's been played: What's the final score of the Tigers open day game? We'll tell you after the game has been played. Well, why won't you tell me the score of the game?

The Lions will never get a good GM in here because the GM will never have complete control.

Um, you JUST repeated what the Lions said: That the GM will have the final say in what Caldwell's fate is. But now you're trying to say that the Lions NOT firing Caldwell (which takes away the ability of the new GM to retain Caldwell if he wants) is evidence that the new GM won't have control??

I know, I know... it's stupid to try to apply logic to a guy who's whole persona is to try say things that will drive listeners to his show, but it just boggles the mind sometimes. Rant over... proceed with your regularly scheduled day.

Caldwell is protected at 1-7 courtesy of Belle Tire.

After 6-2 they won't tell us the status of Caldwell brought to you my Amway.

Mejier presents the Lions never will get a good GM, brought to you by Fox Honda and Metro Health.

I like him because the local focus in the morning. Of course WDFN has national shows almost the rest of the day.

I listened to him a bit during September and liked his focus on the Tigers. Lots of Tiger discussion. I don't usually get to listen to him much, though.

I prefer any station that doesn't take callers. With the exception of MLBnetwork when they take yankee callers when the Yankees are losing. That's wonderful.

Okay, this is a bit random of a comment, but I just have to vent here. Bill Simonson <snip> Rant over... proceed with your regularly scheduled day.

How that guy has a job in sports broadcasting or otherwise is the great mystery of our time.

How that guy has a job in sports broadcasting or otherwise is the great mystery of our time.

No talent hack.

No talent hack.

Unfortunately he does have a talent. He knows how to get listeners riled up enough to listen to his show. I think he tends to pander to the lowest common denominator of sports fans, but that's enough to at least get some level of audience.

Then he gets in tight with advertisers and makes sure they are mentioned early often and repeatedly on his show.

And finally he intimidates those who dislike him or don't agree with him and whines about things when he doesn't get his way.