ROMAD1

Local Sports radio

On 9/1/2017 at 11:16 AM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Any idea on if Braylon is getting the bump to full-time co-host with Valenti?

Well, if Mike doesn't get the afternoon slot on The Fan, another spot just opened up.   Craig Carton of the "Boomer & Carton" show just got arrested in a federal sting regarding gambling and a fake discount ticket scam.   Hint:  The Feds don't arrest until they pretty much have a lockdown case.     Carton's gonna get fired as I am sure the pressure from the sports leagues to get him off the air will be applied greatly to WFAN (hypocrites since they all thrive off gambling).     Boomer Esiason is the other guy and for a ex-jock he's really good on the air but I am sure they'd want to team him with a radio pro.   

Carton frequently bragged about his gambling exploits on the air, which is kind of foolish to me, but he probably thought he was untouchable.  It's one of the reasons that the staff on 97.1 The Ticket is told, in no uncertain terms, that if you get in any kind of gambling trouble you will be fired (makes me wonder if Dan Leach is making things up or just keeps himself out of enough trouble to stay employed).  

........Stay tuned. 

I think Braylan is looking for more TV work (Big Ten Network) but that doesn't mean he'd have to leave the state of Michigan during the week, so maybe he does both.  He's been good on the air.  He and Valenti are pretty good together.     And I still think it's odd that there is no black host on 97.1 The Ticket 6a - Midnight.   

If they want him fired it will be because he was accused of running a ponzi scheme, not because of his gambling.  So I don't really see that as being hypocrites.  

Plus, Adam Silver is a fan of legalizing sports gambling in the US.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/silver-gambling-good-for-business-i-dont-want-to-hide-from-that/

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

If they want him fired it will be because he was accused of running a ponzi scheme, not because of his gambling.  So I don't really see that as being hypocrites.  

Plus, Adam Silver is a fan of legalizing sports gambling in the US.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/silver-gambling-good-for-business-i-dont-want-to-hide-from-that/

The gambling is what got him into this ponzi scheme.     I know Adam Silver is on board, but the NFL is so full of **** with their gambling stance.    The NFL opposes gambling while championing the betting culture and then putting a team in Las Vegas.   Give me a break.  

11 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

MCS thread.

Really?   I think Carton's arrest is a pretty big story in relation to this thread and the dominoes that could fall as a result.   Dude had it all but couldn't get out of his own way.   Owes several million to people  you don't want to owe and gets pulled into a scheme to use his fame to scam people to relieve the burden.     That's a big story anywhere, but especially when Valenti's already considered a front runner for that station - owned by the same company as 97.1. 

The ponzi scheme and the gambling are linked.   He was using this to pay off gambling debts and it was some of those folks that got him into this.   I should have specified the NFL more than anything.    I do like the fact that Adam Silver is willing to own it (and other things as well, too bad the NBA is a five-team league now).   Adam Silver treats the customers like they are intelligent.   Roger Goodell and the NFL just lie to us about it's role in gambling.  

It is interesting that Mike Francesca, who has never held back on much and has never been afraid to **** off anyone at CBS before is keeping quiet on this. Carton and Francesca hate each other and have never shied away from taking shots.   Surprised Mike is not gloating.   WFAN and CBS wouldn't want to lose both stars, maybe Francesca turns this into a contract big enough to keep him around.    I can see CBS not wanting to jeopardize Detroit which is a softer market for sports than New York.   WFAN will be fine with any number of guys they hire.   97.1 in Detroit would be taking a big hit if Valenti left because there really isn't anyone to fill that void (sorry Gregg Henson).   But if both Carton and Francesca leave (and unless they drop an ISDN line to Federal Prison, it's likely Carton's gone for good) then I think they have to risk hurting Detroit to keep WFAN on target.    What a mess.   

It doesn't matter what the proximate cause of the ponzi scheme is, it is the scheme that will sink him. I don't even think the leagues care that much about him anyway, to be honest.

I would think CBS would want its best hosts in the biggest market.

I've been listening to Marcus Ray during drive time this past couple weeks on 1050.   That is one dry, laconic, vulcan-logic, meat-hook reality guy.  

Its really unusual to hear a guy who is ostensibly a former player guy on local radio with zero homerism at all.  If anything, to hear him tell it, the Michigan Wolverines are but one of 164+ NCAA programs and they might be good or they might be bad.   He will stand up for his former team members but this current group, not so much. 

4 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

I've been listening to Marcus Ray during drive time this past couple weeks on 1050.   That is one dry, laconic, vulcan-logic, meat-hook reality guy.  

Its really unusual to hear a guy who is ostensibly a former player guy on local radio with zero homerism at all.  If anything, to hear him tell it, the Michigan Wolverines are but one of 164+ NCAA programs and they might be good or they might be bad.   He will stand up for his former team members but this current group, not so much. 

when I did afternoons there we'd have Marcus on and he's a pretty straight shooter.    He called how Dave Brandon would end pretty early actually.   

7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

when I did afternoons there we'd have Marcus on and he's a pretty straight shooter.    He called how Dave Brandon would end pretty early actually.   

Sheesh..we should put him on the National Security Council or have him work as an ambassador in one of the trouble spots in the World.  

Better yet...put him on Mueller's team. 

5 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

Sheesh..we should put him on the National Security Council or have him work as an ambassador in one of the trouble spots in the World.  

Better yet...put him on Mueller's team. 

"He's trying to sell you something you already bought............."   (paraphrasing)

9 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

"He's trying to sell you something you already bought............."   (paraphrasing)

That sounds like him. 

19 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

He called how Dave Brandon would end pretty early actually.   

Speaking of Dave Brandon, Toys R Us, of which he is CEO, filed for bankruptcy yesterday.  It seems Brandon destroys whatever he touches, yet he continues to work in high profile positions.

2 hours ago, Euphdude said:

Speaking of Dave Brandon, Toys R Us, of which he is CEO, filed for bankruptcy yesterday.  It seems Brandon destroys whatever he touches, yet he continues to work in high profile positions.

I am NO fan of Dave Brandon.............but Toys R Us was already in trouble and he may have been hired specifically to navigate the unavoidable coming bankruptcy.     \

Do you think he sat in on training films to tell Geoffrey how to be a better Giraffe?   

Do you think that he sent the toy recall press release at 1am to try to slip one by us?

I haven't had a chance to listen to it extensively, but I'm a big fan of the TJ Lang sit-ins on Tuesday w/ Valenti.   Usually catch it on my drive home.   

TJ with Mike is pretty solid. 

My biggest gripe with it is Valenti periodically tries to get TJ to say something bad about another player in the league / league official / teammate / Caldwell and, I mean, come on - you know this guy can't say anything controversial given he is new to the team, yet Mike puts him on the spot.  It is almost as if Mike forgets TJ isn't in radio and has to go to practice the next day.

TJ has stepped out of it well each time, but it has to be more than five times that he has had to do it in the portions I have heard.

14 minutes ago, Shelton said:

It's going to be real bummer when valenti leaves. 

With the downturn in Detroit sports and correlating ratings decrease, I agree a Valenti exit to a bigger market is likely.

6 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

TJ with Mike is pretty solid. 

My biggest gripe with it is Valenti periodically tries to get TJ to say something bad about another player in the league / league official / teammate / Caldwell and, I mean, come on - you know this guy can't say anything controversial given he is new to the team, yet Mike puts him on the spot.  It is almost as if Mike forgets TJ isn't in radio and has to go to practice the next day.

TJ has stepped out of it well each time, but it has to be more than five times that he has had to do it in the portions I have heard.

He's gotta ask...........and TJ knows how to avoid it.   

One thing I like about Mike a lot is that when he does interviews - rarely -  he does not back off.   Famously he brought up Suh's B.S. excuse for stomping another player and Suh hung up on him.     Hey, he had the guts to ask and call him out - we all saw what Suh did.     Mike didn't hold back on Stan Van Gundy a couple months ago, but Stan didn't back down or get mad..........it's why I like Stan - he doesn't run and hide from tough question and he doesn't stonewall interviewers and it was a really good hour.     Stan didn't take any of it personally.     (Mike was calling him out for not tanking and rebuilding) and Stan explained why he wouldn't do that).

The downturn in Detroit sports actually could work to the advantage of the radio station.     I know this from experience.   When Michigan football played poorly or lost (especially the close games) the phones were non-stop on WTKA........people love to vent.  The ratings money from the Ticket doesn't come from the teams,  it comes from the AM Drive and PM Drive,  and those probably won't get hurt a lot by having lackluster teams - and keep in mind that football is still the king of talk subjects on the radio and the Lions are starting to give us a good product more consistently - and Jesus is back at Michigan. 

Mike not only does not have to ask TJ, it is completely pointless and boring radio when he does ask because all you get is the stock 'no comment'.

To the rest, I agree.  Valenti wasn't afraid to ask tough questions of Stan Van Gundy when he was on and I respect that.

17 hours ago, Kamakzie said:

Did he announce his exit or something?

No, not that I'm aware of.  It's a consistent rumor for over 10 years that he will be going to NYC or some other big market.  He did some spot fill ins in NYC recently.   There's a contingent online that every time he's not on the air, they say he's bouncing.  

• Like 1