DaYooperASBDT

Poll: Was Aybar's Bunt Bush League?

Was Aybar's Bunt a Bush League Play?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Was Aybar's Bunt a Bush League Play?

• Yes, Bush League
    • No, Needed A Baserunner
    • No Opinion/Other

Normally I would say no, but the Angels and Mike Soscia have a history of being bush league. This is a team who will steal bases while being up 5 or more runs late.

No. Not when you have virtually no offensive firepower and you're 2 games back in your division on July 31. Six runs down, sure. But what he did is baseball. The people in the stands booing it and whining about it need to read up on the game. You don't get no hitters handed to you.

I'd have said yes had it happened without the Guillen taunt but once that happened all the normal rules of decorum were out the window.

I'd have said yes had it happened without the Guillen taunt but once that happened all the normal rules of decorum were out the window.

What about Weaver taunting Miguel?

No, not at all. i would say yes if it was a blowout but the game was still within reach.

I don't think Aybar bunts if Guillen just runs out the homerun.

So, yes.

But Guillen's pose was also bush league.

But Weaver deserved it.

Nope. It's never bush league, even down 15 runs. There is no clock in baseball. Furthermore, the Tigers should have expected it given the events leading up to it.

Close game, bunting is not bush league, you are trying to win the game. Blow out, yes it would have been bush league in the 8th inning.

Hell no.

This is just some crap an old-timey manager came up with on the spot and it took root.

Bunting for a hit is hard. As a pitcher, I should be so lucky as to have everyone attempt to bunt for a hit.

Leyland doesn't know as much as us, but he just said the bunt was just baseball and he had no problem with it.

Nope. It was a smart play by a team that still had a shot at winning the game and it almost worked. The resulting errors were reminiscent of our world series play against St.Louis.

No. Not when you have virtually no offensive firepower and you're 2 games back in your division on July 31. Six runs down, sure. But what he did is baseball. The people in the stands booing it and whining about it need to read up on the game. You don't get no hitters handed to you.
This one.

I was just think about this earlier today and my thought was that if we were down and needed a baserunner in a tight game in this tight race that I would want our guys to bunt to win this game. Too bad about someone's potential no-hitter when it comes to winning a game under these circumstances. So I guess I have to let the other team do the same. But F Weaver!

Here's my litmus test: if we did it, I wouldn't feel good about it. Bad form, regardless of the context.

I'm the exact opposite. If we did it, I would love it. 3-1 is too close of a game. Get one base any way possible.

If that bunt propelled the Angels to a win, would it still have been "bush"? No hitters are hard for a reason. Make the play and you have nothing to complain about. Baseball teams owe nothing to the opposing pitcher when trying to win a baseball game. That bunt almost started a winning rally. I would hope the Tigers would do the same thing in the same situation if it gave them the best opportunity to score.

Verlander getting pissed about the bunt worries me a tad, because he came a little unglued after it, and it seemed to affect his performance.