JonBenke

Michigan 2013 Recruiting Thread

With only 6/7 spots left in 2012, the focus will quickly turn to 2013.

Scout.com: 2013 Preview: State of Michigan

Michigan already has a commitment from QB Shane Morris.

He'll fight for top instate honors with OT Steven Elmer, who will be at the BBQ @ The Big House.

The battle for #1 .. by Allen Trieu

This race for number one may be the hottest since Devin Gardner and William Gholston a few years ago. Right now, Warren DeLaSalle quarterback Shane Morris and Midland's offensive tackle Steven Elmer are, in my book, neck and neck.

Morris is a fireball thrower with an exceptional arm and two years of varsity experience under his belt. He has also been great at national events this summer, impressing nearly every where he goes. If I had to choose right now, he would get my early nod.

That said, Elmer has been gaining. He has had a great summer as well, adding multiple offers after great camp performances. He's a 6'6, nearly 300-lb kid who ran a 5.04 forty at Wisconsin and moved as well in drills at Michigan and Michigan State's camps as any other big man I've seen this year. He also began showing that mean streak we wanted to see from him in 1-1s.

The great thing about both guys is, they're great kids and student athletes as well who will represent the state of Michigan well. Left tackle and quarterback are typically two of the most sought after, important positions in football, and both of these guys have the goods.

Michigan has been hot on Elmer, who has been on campus recently with his father, and by filling out the 2012 class so fast, it will give Hoke and company the luxury to focus most of their attention on the 2013 group.

Elmer has offers from Michigan, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Michigan State, and Wisconsin.

Other top instate kids are:

DE - Wyatt Shallman - who holds a Michigan offer

OT - Riley Norman

LB - Luke Maclean

DE - Jon Reschke

OL - David Dawson

DT - Kenton Gibbs

You can never be too deep on the line but how much of a factor will this cycle weigh on Elmers decision, I wonder. Michigan may have four 4* and two 3* in this class with a couple of them due bumps in the rankings.

Am I correct in thinking that Jeremy Clark's greyshirting makes him a part of the 2013 class and this thread?

Here are some comments on QB Shane Morris, via the Gridiron Kings 7-on-7 tournament.

247Sports recruiting analyst JC Shurbutt, and his take on Day 1 evaluation of Shane Morris:

Shane Morris, QB, Warren (Mich.) De La Salle (Class of 2013)

While he’s made a reputation as one of the best passers in the country regardless of class, at first glance Morris also is a fluid athlete. Of the four quarterbacks at the event, he sits in the pocket with the calmest feet and makes the most throws in balance. Morris was especially impressive throwing the ball in the seams and in the intermediate game against the Southwest squad (Morris plays for the Midwest). There is little doubt that the Michigan commit is the most talented quarterback prospect at the event.

Former NFL QB Browning Nagle (6 yrs in the NFL Jets/Colts/Falcons) on Shane Morris:

“Shane Morris is the quintessential quarterback and young man. He’s very polite and his talent is incredible for a junior to be. His talent and some of the throws he makes, those are the throws you can’t teach. The dynamic nature of his talent, combined with the way he is as a person and when you put it in the broad spectrum, he’s way ahead of the game. There’s some things he will have to incorporate into his game. Consistency, is one as it is for all young plays. He’s got touch, but he has to learn to be a pitcher at times and not just a thrower. He has to become more of a pitcher at times, feel the areas and then continue to use that hose that he has got. In yesterday’s workout, his foot work was good and his drops had the correct depth.”

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/6797436/qb-prospects-get-big-opportunity-gridiron-kings

Of the quarterbacks here, there's no mistaking Morris is the most polished. This 6-2, 186-pound Michigan commitment can compete in any group.

"If Shane were in this class he would be a top five or six guy in the country," Luginbill said. "He has great arm strength and a wonderful, compact delivery. He has things you can't coach."

That's high praise for the junior southpaw quarterback of the Midwest team. Morris knows his time comes next year. In the meantime, he just wants to make the most of this opportunity. He also knows that this is a chance for him and Ferguson to really make a name for themselves.

"I first met Riley at a Michigan camp last year and we battled it out and had a lot of fun," Morris said. "We both know that being here is an honor. It's a blessing to play with the best. We both want to prove we can compete with the 2012 kids. And we want to have some fun.

"Hopefully we can be at Elite 11 next year, but I don't want to jinx it. I want to just enjoy this, learn and become a better quarterback. This is something great."

recrt_e_morris_sy_576.jpg

Edited by JonBenke

2013 Illinois OL Kyle Bosch is visiting Michigan on Sunday.

Still looking for an offer, Bosch will be one of the Midwest's top OL talents next year.

Columnists | Ohio junior Ben Gedeon is turning heads, including some at U-M | The Detroit News

To many sports fans Allen Iverson was "The Answer" and Jevon Kearse was "The Freak", but in the northeast Ohio town of Hudson, both of those nicknames belong to someone else.

Hudson high junior Ben Gedeon is known by those monikers, and is one of the Buckeye state's brightest gridiron stars.

Scout.com recently ranked Gedeon the No. 5 player in Ohio's 2013 class, but his physical prowess has been garnering attention for much longer. Case in point, the "Freak" designation was given to him at a very early age.

"Probably back in grade school," said Gedeon regarding when he was first referred to by the nickname. "I was just always a little bit bigger than everybody, so my family called me that."

Fast forward to high school and he is still a little bit bigger than most youngsters his age. He is also a little faster and a little stronger. Hudson coach Tom Narducci took those truths into account when going over the questions facing his 2010 squad. In Gedeon he realized he had "The Answer."

"Need a quarterback, running back, defensive back, linebacker, cover rusher? We have Ben," Narducci told the Cleveland Plain Dealer before last season. "He's 6-3, about 210 pounds, and he's a real specimen."

Gedeon proved his coach prophetic by helping lead his team to a conference title with 105 tackles on defense and over 800 yards rushing, receiving, and passing on offense. In a memorable outing versus Cuyahoga Falls he completed four passes, rushed 21 times for 125 yards, caught two passes for 34 yards, and spearheaded a spirited defensive effort. It was performances like that that caught the attention of numerous college programs, including Michigan.

"Coach (Greg) Mattison actually came to my school and he was sending me some (camp) stuff," Gedeon recalled. "That's when I knew (the Wolverines) were pretty interested in me. I knew they were really trying to turn around the program and all their recruiting classes lately have been pretty strong, so it was pretty cool. I was excited about that."

Gedeon demonstrated just how excited when he traveled to Ann Arbor in late June for Michigan's annual summer camp. It didn't him take him long to show what all of the fuss is about.

"He was excellent when we saw him in camp settings and his film verified what we had seen in shorts and T-shirts," Scout.com midwest regional manager Allen Trieu said. "He is a well built kid at 6-foot-3, 215 pounds and moves very well at that size."

The Michigan staff obviously agreed. The day after Gedeon returned home they promptly offered him a scholarship and invited him back to campus for the "Barbecue at the Big House" in late July. When he made his way back to the Great Lakes State for the picnic-like event, he found his second Michigan experience to be even better than the first.

"It was great," Gedeon said. "I got to meet a lot of the coaches, their families, and a lot of the other recruits. It really felt like family. They made you feel like you were part of it all and getting to see the campus was awesome."

The coaching staff, especially, impressed Gedeon.

"Coach Mattison is a great guy and I've been talking to him since this spring," Gedeon said. "He takes a personal interest, he's always a great guy, and my parents love him. I got to meet his wife as well and they are both great. I also talked to coach (Brady) Hoke a lot and he is a great guy. He is really turning around the program, which is great to see. He was talking to us about how they renovated the stadium last year and we got to see that a little bit. It was amazing.

"I talked to (Orchard Lake St. Mary's linebacker and Michigan commit) James Ross a little bit and I met (Lakewood St. Edward offensive tackle and Michigan commit) Kyle Kalis," he continued. "That was pretty cool because I've been following (Kalis). They had nothing but good stuff to say about Michigan."

The same was true of Gedeon's parents, both whom gave the Wolverines rave reviews.

"They loved it," Gedeon said. "They got to see the campus a lot. I know the first time we saw it (during camp) they loved it. They loved it even more the second time because we got a tour and stuff and the coaches made them feel like we were welcome there and they liked that a lot.

"We'll see what happens, but I like Michigan a lot. After (the barbecue visit), it is definitely on the top of my list."

Unlike many prospects in Ohio, Gedeon doesn't consider his affinity for the Maize & Blue to be sacrilegious.

"I was always a Notre Dame fan growing up," he said. "As far as Michigan and Ohio State, I wasn't too much of an Ohio State fan. I was always pretty neutral."

Time will tell whether the Wolverines are able to hold onto their spot atop the leaderboard. There will certainly be fierce competition in the coming months. In the few weeks since he received his Michigan offer, Penn State, Tennessee, and Boston College have followed suit.

"I have been to the Penn State camp two years now," Gedeon told Scout.com. "Most of my team goes up for the summer camp. I also got to see the campus and I liked it a lot. I like the whole campus. I like how it is centered around the football stadium, and how it's a college town.

"It was kind of a surprise when (Tennessee) offered me. I haven't had much contact with them until now. I was very excited when the offer came, especially with all of the tradition they have. I'm interested in them but need to check out the campus and meet the coaches.

"I know (Boston College) always has had a great program. I've been able to see the campus a few times because my brother goes to Harvard, which isn't too far away."

Each of those programs and any other suitor that enters Gedeon's recruitment will be given a fair chance to win him over. The ingredients for doing so are already quite clear.

"The education will definitely come first," he said. "Then I'll talk with the players there and see what kind of guys they are and if I'd fit in with them."

Gedeon plans to take his time assessing that fit. He is relying on his parents and few other family members to help him decide.

"I've got two brothers, so my older brothers will come into play," he said. "They are big role models for me. My uncle will definitely come into play (also).

"I am just going with the flow. Maybe around this time next year I will commit somewhere."

Or the Freak-Answer. "Weirdest place we made love? That would be in...". Better stop there.

LOL. I just saw that clip for the first time a couple years ago...

For those that may not have had the pleasure...Here's the clip:

4XM5hbS7GlU

someone referenced this thread elsewhere so I bumped it back to the top for easy access. Three weeks or so and this will be the main recruiting thread.

I'm not really sure to be honest.

Looking back at previous classes, there's been 26-33 5* in the final rankings. I'm sure that number will go up, but 11 does seem a bit low.

Is it customary to only have 11 5* at this point? That seems a bit low to me.

I think rivals is usually a little stingy about handing out the 5* rating. Last year there were only around a dozen 5 stars at this time.