alwaysthrowheat

The Trade Deadline

T The Tigers have the 4th most errors.

Scoring is such a joke and so inconsistent around most of the league that I've stopped paying attention to team error rates. I haven't looked for this year, but in one recent year that I checked, scorers at COPA had given out significantly more errors to both teams than the average of other parks. Scoring in Det used to be pretty tough (=honest), that's probably not sustainable with so many other scorer's calling everything a hit.

Scoring is such a joke and so inconsistent around most of the league that I've stopped paying attention to team error rates. I haven't looked for this year, but in one recent year that I checked, scorers at COPA had given out significantly more errors to both teams than the average of other parks. Scoring in Det used to be pretty tough (=honest), that's probably not sustainable with so many other scorer's calling everything a hit.

Scoring is one of the big reasons I don't look at errors. Another reason is errors don't say anything about range. Sometimes a good fielding team makes a lot of errors because they get to more balls than a poor fielding team. They make errors, but they make up for it by creating outs. You can't make an error if you can't get to a ball.

That being said, the Tigers have the third worst defensive efficiency ratio in the league: percentage of batted balls in play not including home runs which are converted into outs by a team's fielders. They are also below average according to Defensive Runs Saved and Total Zone.

Edited by tiger337

Scoring is one of the big reasons I don't look at errors. Another reason is errors don't say anything about range. Sometimes a good fielding team makes a lot of errors because they get to more balls than a poor fielding team. They make errors, but they make up for it by creating outs. You can't make an error if you can't get to a ball.

That being said, the Tigers have the third worst defensive efficiency ratio in the league: percentage of batted balls in play not including home runs which are converted into outs by a team's fielders. They are also below average according to Defensive Runs Saved and Total Zone.

Maggs is probably most of that! :wink:

I dont want to read all 6 pages...but we dont need any stars, just get me a serviceable 3b and maybe 2b who can hit .250 with a .300+ obp. Getting an average player at 3b and maybe 2b could make all the difference in this team. Would also like to see a #3-4 type SP.

I would think that range wise the Tigers are probably below average at every position this year except CF. And I don't think Jackson is really an elite defender either, just above average.

It's no surprise they'd have an overall bad defense

Straight from Bless You Boys

Couldn't find it mentioned in any other threads.....

Detroit Tigers Rumors: 'Eyeballing' Cubs' Jeff Baker? - Bless You Boys

Tigers eyeing Jeff Baker.....he can play 2B or 3B. One way to hedge their bets on Guillen.

If Guillen works out, play him at 3B.

If not, hope Raburn continues (?) his recent coming around and play Baker at 3B.

Might not cost much either.

Anyway, so far, only Oakland Press columnist Pat Caputo is reporting this possibility.

The thing is...Baker strikes out a lot and has little power.

Wow, now Jackson isn't a good defender ... seriously?

I think he indicated that Jackson was above average. He didn't say he wasn't good. Just not elite. That's pretty accurate, IMO.

Tigers eyeing Jeff Baker.....he can play 2B or 3B. One way to hedge their bets on Guillen.

If not, hope Raburn continues (?) his recent coming around and play Baker at 3B.

Anyway, so far, only Oakland Press columnist Pat Caputo is reporting this possibility.

No thanks.

5 years ago...yes. Today....pass.

From MLBTR:

Cardinals Might Be Willing To Trade Rasmus

By Tim Dierkes [July 12 at 7:56am CST]

The Cardinals "might reconsider [their] stance" on trading center fielder Colby Rasmus, reports Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. He adds that GM John Mozeliak "would have to acquire a significant return for Rasmus but may be willing to plumb long-standing interest from the pitching-rich Tampa Bay Rays."

Rasmus, 24, is showing "only halting development" in Strauss' opinion. He's hitting .246/.329/.413 with nine home runs in 360 plate appearances this season. That's solid for a center fielder, but a decline from last year's numbers. Defensively, Rasmus put up a strong UZR in '09 but has been below-average in over 1,800 center field innings since then. If Rasmus were to be traded, Jon Jay would become the Cardinals' starting center fielder.

Even with his stock slightly down, Rasmus would be a hot commodity on the trade market. I can see why he'd interest the Rays, who control center fielder B.J. Upton through 2012 but could control Rasmus through '14. Rasmus could jump past $3MM in arbitration next year against perhaps $7MM for Upton. Upton could be moved in a separate deal, though the Nationals would probably be interested in both center fielders. It'd be a big win for the Cardinals to somehow pry James Shields loose in a Rasmus deal, but with Shields' ace performance and his contract offering options through '14, a direct swap doesn't seem to benefit Tampa Bay enough.

DontGotSheed;

Colby Rasmus is a hot mess right now and the Cardinals want pitching for him. When Colby is hitting .300 the Cardinals don't care that Colby's father is his personal hitting coach and that he doesn't listen or work with the Cardinals hitting coach (some nobody named Mark McGuire). But when he's hitting .240 it drives the Cardinal organization nuts.

Jeff Baker, First of all, this isn't the 80's where Alan Trammell, Cal Ripkin Jr. and Ozzy Smith patrol the infield. There is not much to choose from in 2011 at 2B, SS, 3B unless you feel like eating a lot of salary in a player like David Wright, Jose Reyes or Michael Young. The Second tier options (Jeff Baker,Jamie Carroll, Wilson Betemit, Jeff Keppinger perhaps even Casey Blake) are lower cost (in terms of contract) and lower preformance but arguably better than Inge and some of the other Tiger infield options.

Take a look at how Carroll, Betemit and Baker (ok, Blake too) all compare statistically before you rule out Baker. You might find something to like. The article mentions Jeff Keppinger too but take a look at all of them and see what you think. I think they all have something to like and something to hate about all of them but that is what's left on the market....

Edited by STLTiger69

Colby Rasmus is 24 and has a 111 OPS+ in his career playing in CF. Yeah, he has a crazy dad, but if the Cardinals are stupid enough to give him away I would hope the Tigers would be interested

The * means they have an option after this year:

(Just so all the info is in the same place and easy to read.)

Second Basemen

Clint Barmes HOU

Willie Bloomquist ARI *

Orlando Cabrera CLE

Robinson Cano NYY *

Jamey Carroll LAD

Luis Castillo NYM

Alex Cora WAS

Craig Counsell MIL

Mark Ellis OAK

Jerry Hairston Jr. WAS

Aaron Hill TOR *

Omar Infante FLA

Joe Inglett HOU

Kelly Johnson ARI

Adam Kennedy SEA

Felipe Lopez TB

Jose Lopez FLA

Aaron Miles LAD

Brandon Phillips CIN *

Third Basemen

Wilson Betemit KC

Casey Blake LAD *

Eric Chavez NYY

Mark DeRosa SF

Greg Dobbs PHI

Edwin Encarnacion TOR *

Wes Helms FLA

Melvin Mora ARI

Aramis Ramirez CHC

Miguel Tejada SF

Omar Vizquel CWS

Starting Pitchers

Mark Buehrle CWS

Chris Carpenter STL *

Bruce Chen KC

Aaron Cook COL *

Kyle Davies KC

Ryan Dempster CHC *

Justin Duchscherer OAK

Zach Duke ARI *

Jeff Francis KC

Freddy Garcia NYY

Jon Garland LAD *

Aaron Harang SD

Rich Harden OAK

Livan Hernandez WAS

Edwin Jackson CWS

Kenshin Kawakami ATL

Scott Kazmir LAA

Hiroki Kuroda LAD

Rodrigo Lopez CHC

Paul Maholm PIT

John Maine COL

Jason Marquis WAS

Kevin Millwood NYY

Scott Olsen PIT *

Roy Oswalt PHI *

Brad Penny DET

Oliver Perez NYM

Joel Pineiro LAA

CC Sabathia NYY (may opt out)

Carlos Silva NYY

Javier Vazquez FLA

Adam Wainwright STL *

Tim Wakefield BOS

Chien-Ming Wang WAS

Brandon Webb ARI

C.J. Wilson TEX

Chris Young NYM

pyrotigers;

The Colby Rasmus story specifically mentions James Shields (the pitcher who's leading TB starters with an ERA of 2.33 and is the arguably TB's best pitcher). Justin Verlander has an ERA so far of 2.15 for comparison. No, I don't think the Cardinals will just "give Colby Rasmus away".

And if any other team wanted to "give away" a great player, I'd sure hope the Tigers would be listening too... (lol...dugh!)

Edited by STLTiger69

I dont want to read all 6 pages...but we dont need any stars, just get me a serviceable 3b and maybe 2b who can hit .250 with a .300+ obp. Getting an average player at 3b and maybe 2b could make all the difference in this team. Would also like to see a #3-4 type SP.

Matt Downs.

meh, he's not that good.

I don't think I would do it either. Maybe if I got Rasmus and someone else. Rasmus is darn good though, so I'm definitely considering it.

I would not trade turner for rasmus.

I would, however, trade Ajax for a pitching prospect.

The Truman Show;

I give you a tip of the cap in that if Colby Rasmus is hot, he's as good as any of the best players in baseball. On the other hand when he's cold he's sort of a problem (for both your lineup and your locker room). Keep in mind that he's a career .259 hitter and he strikes out almost 1 out of every 4 at bats (3.97). He is a good player but I do think Turner would be too high of a price for him and the Tigers have Jackson, Dirks and Wells that all can/have played CF as well.....

Just for the record?

I think we can agree that the best options for infielders this trade deadline and this upcoming free agent/trade deadline candidates this season include David Wright, Michael Young and Jose Reyes. You may or may not put Jimmy Rollins in that same group, but you get the idea.

If anybody else has looked at it too, would you agree that the "cheaper" options available for infielders for this coming off season pretty much just include Jamey Carroll, Wilson Betemit, Casey Blake and perhaps by way of trade Jeff Baker or Jeff Keppinger?

I've also toyed with the idea of signing J.J. Hardy at SS and moving Peralta to 3B (I'm not convinced it's a big problem solver type move though...) AND the other idea I sort of like is to get the Twins free agent Michael Cuddyer and stick him at 3B or 2B in a Tiger uniform instead of the Twins outfield. The problem is the Twins are paying Cuddyer $10.5M for this year and I don't think Cuddyer is going to sign with a team for say $2-$4M like the other "cheaper" guys I've mentioned above.

Anybody else got any ideas?

(cuz my head hurts thinkin' about this....lol)

Edited by STLTiger69
Mr. Bigglesworth is righT! I messed up DW,MY as "free agents"- my bad!