alwaysthrowheat

The Trade Deadline

Hart, "for the sake of discussion," who we get for Cabrera would have to be another Ace in the mould of Justin Verlander, would have to be around Cabrera's age so that we get mileage from him through a number of seasons, and he also would need to be a proven injury-free starter.

We also would have to know to some certainty that the "slugger" types that we currently have like Boesch and Dirks are the real deal. Don't know how we would know this, but we need to see a big upside in their performance.

And hopefully we could come away from a deal involving Cabrera with a little cash in hand to invest in a proven offensive player in trade or free agency.

This being said, I would expect the Giants or the Mariners, or whoever, to be in the position to make the sacrifice for their needs . . . and not get a bargain superstar for a just quite good starter.

Some will say this is ridiculous. But I remember a year ago when Cabrera was in the bad-books of many on this forum because of his failings off the field and were very anxious that he part ways with the Tigers.

IMO, Cain and Hernandez are in the same category as Verlander.

Some will say this is ridiculous. But I remember a year ago when Cabrera was in the bad-books of many on this forum because of his failings off the field and were very anxious that he part ways with the Tigers.

People eventually got over that.

I wouldn't trade Miguel Cabrera for anything. Not even Albert Pujols.

Hart, "for the sake of discussion," who we get for Cabrera would have to be another Ace in the mould of Justin Verlander, would have to be around Cabrera's age so that we get mileage from him through a number of seasons, and he also would need to be a proven injury-free starter.

We also would have to know to some certainty that the "slugger" types that we currently have like Boesch and Dirks are the real deal. Don't know how we would know this, but we need to see a big upside in their performance.

And hopefully we could come away from a deal involving Cabrera with a little cash in hand to invest in a proven offensive player in trade or free agency.

This being said, I would expect the Giants or the Mariners, or whoever, to be in the position to make the sacrifice for their needs . . . and not get a bargain superstar for a just quite good starter.

Maybe. I do agree with you that Cabrera is one of the greatest hitters ever. But I am just trying to think of what gives us the best chance to win over the next 5 years. Pujols and Fielder are on the same level as Cabrera as hitters. Reyes is another big time player available this offseason. Granted, signing one of these guys is no sure thing but I think if Illitch is willing to spend the money, the Tigers would have a very good chance of getting one of the three. And if none of those three, I still contend that it is much easier to upgrade your lineup in free agency than find another front end starter.

Same category as Verlander: Felix absolutely, Cain not quite.

And no, I wouldn't trade a hitter like Cabrera for a pitcher like Verlander unless he was signed to a very team friendly deal and I knew ahead of time he wouldn't get injured. The only pitcher in the game I feel any confidence at all about as far as health goes is Verlander. Everyone else is a liability.

IMO, Cain and Hernandez are in the same category as Verlander.

Agreed. I still wouldn't trade Cabrera for either of them.

Agreed. I still wouldn't trade Cabrera for either of them.

How bout both of them?

I just blew your mind.....

Same category as Verlander: Felix absolutely, Cain not quite.

And no, I wouldn't trade a hitter like Cabrera for a pitcher like Verlander unless he was signed to a very team friendly deal and I knew ahead of time he wouldn't get injured. The only pitcher in the game I feel any confidence at all about as far as health goes is Verlander. Everyone else is a liability.

Has Hernandez ever had any injury concerns at all? I know Cain had some in the minor leagues but not since then. Cain and Verlander have both averaged around 33 starts the last 5 seasons. They are both workhorses and #1 starters. Cain has emerged as one of the best starters in baseball the last 3 seasons and his numbers back that up, even if he does not get the hype because he does not strike out over 200 guys a season. Hernandez is signed a long term deal...and he is worth every penny. Cain is a free agent after next season and will probably get a deal similar to what Verlander got.

I would like to think that the Tigers are in the driving seat - that San Francisco or some other contender is so desperate to acquire an offensive superstar that they would make a sacrifice of an Ace starter when they know they already have strong pitching if they have to give him up.

We are not in a desperate situation with Cabrera - but I would hope that DD and Ilitch would look carefully if something interesting is put on the table.

There's no way I'd trade a top-flight position player in his prime for any pitcher. In my estimation the best position players are far more likely to remain healthy and play to a consistent level of performance.

We are not in a desperate situation with Cabrera - but I would hope that DD and Ilitch would look carefully if something interesting is put on the table.

Who would you trade Cabrera for? I want names.

There's no way I'd trade a top-flight position player in his prime for any pitcher. In my estimation the best position players are far more likely to remain healthy and play to a consistent level of performance.

This is true. But I say Cain/Hernandez + the possibility of Fielder/Pujols/Reyes is greater than Cabrera + ?

I agree with you Hart: the possibility of Cain or Hernandez PLUS Fielder, Pujols, or Reyes is greater than Cabrera! But, saying this, I think Pujols would be beyond even Ilitch's wallet.

Who would you trade Cabrera for? I want names.

Look at Prince Fielder's stats. He is not quite as good as Cabrera but he is pretty darn close. Obviously, Pujols is better. The market for Pujols and Fielder is going to be very small because the Yankees and Red Sox will not be in it. If Illitch wanted one of them, then.....

Look at Prince Fielder's stats. He is not quite as good as Cabrera but he is pretty darn close. Obviously, Pujols is better. The market for Pujols and Fielder is going to be very small because the Yankees and Red Sox will not be in it. If Illitch wanted one of them, then.....

Why do you believe that the Red Sox and Yankee's won't be in on Pujols and Fielder this coming off season if both are FA?

I was just talking about trades, not free agents.

Why do you believe that the Red Sox and Yankee's won't be in on Pujols and Fielder this coming off season if both are FA?

If either wants to spend big, they are much better off spending big on Reyes than Pujols. Just like the Tigers would be much better off spending there money on Reyes as long as Cabrera is on the roster.

And the Red Sox, from what I read, are not going to be spending big. They are pretty much at their limit.

But I'd be interested in how many 3-2-3 or 3-5-3 DPs Prince manages in a season compared to Cabby. I have a feeling they are not quite comparable there!

I was just talking about trades, not free agents.

I'll give you one name: Troy Tulowitzki.

What would they do with them? It's not as if the Yankees are going to bench Teixeira. They'd either have to find him or the acquired player a new position or make some roster moves. Oddly, the Steinbrenners are being a little tighter with their money than they were when King George was in charge. The Red Sox are committed to Gonzo, and the RF experiment was a disaster. Plus they're under some restraints financially.

I don't doubt they won't play some part, but neither of those guys will be a Yankee or Red Sock when all is said and done.

I tend to agree on Bos/NYY but OTOH, if either of them gets the sense that the other might sign a guy like Albert Pujols, they will then subsequently become involved as well and a bidding war will go down. DH someone, move someone to the OF, IDK.